Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10956 10957 [10958] 10959 10960 ... 11003

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13653547 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164355 on: January 19, 2024, 02:57:40 pm »

I dunno, at some point I think we do have to draw a line.

I think we can draw that line gracefully and not with hate though.

My personal issue is trying to find the right point to say, no, this is objective reality, not subjective reality.  I guess it matters inasmuch as it impacts things like the ability of the species to produce enough food and shelter and clean water and basic infrastructure to survive... but I don't know if the rest is really up for grabs.

I mean I don't think I can take seriously the people who want to do things like marry buildings. I hope they aren't designing my vehicles or critical infrastructure or performing surgeries for example.

If that makes me an intolerant person... so be it.
LOL

I didn't chalk down "objective reality = intolerant" on my bingo card for 2024. But furries aren't the same as otherkin, no? Furries are basically just larpers

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164356 on: January 19, 2024, 03:03:21 pm »

Schools have traditionally had broad latitude to decide what's disruptive and what's not. From what's on your t-shirt to how much midriff you show. The wording sucks and the animal control bit is clearly a jab at the lifestyle. But on paper I think they're within their rights to say that certain behaviors in school aren't permissible. Wearing animal ears? Probably not that big of a deal but it can fit within their definition of acceptable dress. Actually acting out your identity, for example demanding you be referenced to by your chosen rather than registered name, or other interactions like responding to school officials "in character"? Yeah, that definitely falls under their purview.

That said, it's pretty obvious what the amendment is about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164357 on: January 19, 2024, 03:29:48 pm »

The way I see it there are two issues:
1. Too specific: It's clearly targetted at furries, without taking into account other disruptive denial of reality.
2. Too broad: In targetting furries, it also targets children that are legitimately playing during a recess. 'Students who purport to be an imaginary animal' would also fit a child playing Okamiden and saying to another child "I am a wolf.".
Hell, it would even trigger whenever anybody discusses horoscopes (unless they are Scales).
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #164358 on: January 19, 2024, 05:48:09 pm »

Also a kid may just show up dressed as an animal because they're a kid and kids do that. This does just seem like grandstanding for a solution in search of a problem, trying to rally voters of a more "damn woke kids these days" mindset

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164359 on: January 19, 2024, 05:55:11 pm »

Like I said, the intent is obvious. But it's probably permissible under most school district guidelines.

Until they call Animal Control who, unless they're an ally of this nonsense, will probably laugh in their faces.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164360 on: January 19, 2024, 06:07:38 pm »

I can't see animal control taking them seriously, nor can I see school staff calling animal control. Being treated like an animal might be the perverse kind of poetic justice these wackos want but thats going to be some serious trauma for all of the kids involved, whether they're the object of the punishment or a friend or just realize how crazy this all is, or that this could happen to them too if they step out of line. Kids like to play dress up and pretend and push the boundaries of whats permisible just because thats human instinct, but that doesn't mean they're stupid or oblivious to these displays of abuse and corruption of power.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #164361 on: January 19, 2024, 07:49:08 pm »

I can't see animal control taking them seriously, nor can I see school staff calling animal control. Being treated like an animal might be the perverse kind of poetic justice these wackos want but thats going to be some serious trauma for all of the kids involved, whether they're the object of the punishment or a friend or just realize how crazy this all is, or that this could happen to them too if they step out of line. Kids like to play dress up and pretend and push the boundaries of whats permisible just because thats human instinct, but that doesn't mean they're stupid or oblivious to these displays of abuse and corruption of power.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
POV: furry waiting for the animal pest control to catch them knowing it will fully vindicate everything they have ever stood for

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164362 on: January 19, 2024, 08:38:51 pm »

Also a kid may just show up dressed as an animal because they're a kid and kids do that.

What? No they don't, unless they have children for parents. My elementary school kid tries to go to school dressed as an animal (and I don't mean cat-ears headband), I'm going to send them back to their room to get dressed properly.

Now if, when they get older and are a teenager and somehow sneak a costume to school and change there without my knowledge, then that's a different story (and will have different consequences).

Sad thing is, I can't blame the kids for this - I can only blame the parents for basically letting kids do whatever they want. The kids are just doing what they learned... and I think my generation especially has not done a great job in bringing up children in the way they should live, to help them understand signal from noise in the internet age (I feel like somehow we just took for granted that kids would be able to filter sense from nonsense, since we had that growing up - but in hindsight that was a bad assumption).

It's no wonder society is turning into Lord of the Flies (do they even teach that still?)  I feel like society hasn't had adult supervision in quite some time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #164363 on: January 19, 2024, 08:47:56 pm »

What? No they don't, unless they have children for parents. My elementary school kid tries to go to school dressed as an animal (and I don't mean cat-ears headband), I'm going to send them back to their room to get dressed properly.
When I was about 4 the school asked us to show up as sheep for a Christmas play, I showed up as a snake cos snakes were cool. Two boys once showed up dressed as bumblebees in bumblebee dresses, there weren't any reason for it or event, they just did and the school was cool with it and next day they unbumblebeed themselves back into normal uniforms

Sad thing is, I can't blame the kids for this - I can only blame the parents for basically letting kids do whatever they want. The kids are just doing what they learned... and I think my generation especially has not done a great job in bringing up children in the way they should live, to help them understand signal from noise in the internet age (I feel like somehow we just took for granted that kids would be able to filter sense from nonsense, since we had that growing up - but in hindsight that was a bad assumption).
Always strive for a middle line. I think the gens have tended to swing too wildly between antagonistic parenting and fopless parenting

It's no wonder society is turning into Lord of the Flies (do they even teach that still?)  I feel like society hasn't had adult supervision in quite some time.
One of my friends is a teacher, she said straight up the kids had gone feral during the pandemic

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164364 on: January 19, 2024, 09:45:25 pm »

I refuse to engage with "children shouldn't be furries" because that's the goal of this nonsense bill, to shift the conversation to that.  The only takeaway here should be that the legislators proposed a bill that could be applied to literally any child in the school, "intent" be damned, and could call ANIMAL CONTROL on them.  Har, har.

The bill is a disgusting joke and anyone who still values our legal system should see it as an attack on such.  Even if one thinks furries are freaks and parents should "educate" it out of them, we can table that shit, this is just a bad bill that mocks the rule of law.

Also, it was inspired by a hoax that schools are putting out kitty litter for furry students.  That's not real.  The kitty litter was seemingly for use while sheltering in place during shooter events.  Yet it's being pushed by Libs Of Tiktok as "degeneracy run amok" and it's INFLUENCING FUCKING LEGISLATION, so maybe people should be MAD ABOUT THAT LIE?  Instead of bemoaning the CREATIVE EXPRESSION of our fucking youth???

these legislators are the only degenerates here, they ought to be fired.  from their jobs, I guess.
But I'm sorry, I've gotten mad about this and therefore I've probably alienated all the "moderates" who think the problem HERE is kids wearing costumes
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164365 on: January 20, 2024, 06:12:01 am »

Sheltering in place? I didn't think there was any crumb (hah?) of truth/inspiration to the kitty litter thing, I figured it was just entirely fantasized into being out of the ether. Although I suppose if anything were to be the catalyst for weird shit in the states, terror/school shooter drills would probably be it.

And yeah, the guy who put this thing together is just a yahoo fuckwad trying to get attention. There's no problem to be resolved, and animal control neither has nor wants anything to do with any of it. There's no way it's getting passed, and he's probably just looking to whine about his nonsense not going through.

But cons getting irrationally upset about even the concept of furries and somehow associating that with animal control is a pretty primo meme. Freshest batch of wackadoodle I've seen in ages.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #164366 on: January 20, 2024, 06:37:10 am »

I thought the same, though I also didn't look up if there was any truth to it because I did not want it to be true.

Having cat litter in schools because of shelter for shootings is certainly a kind of worse though, but I guess if the option is relieving yourself directly on the floor...
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164367 on: January 20, 2024, 08:19:48 am »

Yeah, as far as I'm aware folks actually looked into it and it was entirely because of, well, that. Having something on hand in case they're locked down in a room long enough it becomes an issue, and it's a better solution than having stressed kids just shit on the floor and/or themselves. There aren't many other solutions available for dealing with that situation and as far as I'm aware litter's one of both the best and the cheapest. And yeah, the fact that it's being used for such and the fact it's being lied about are both all kinds of fucked up on multiple levels.

... one aspect that might be getting involved with the animal control bit that folks might not be aware of is it's not uncommon for areas in the states to just not have dedicated animal control -- for a good bit of jurisdictions that mess would apply to what that's actually going to involve is calling the cops, because they're the closest thing in the locality has to it.

Animal control might laugh at that kind of dumbshit nonsense, but cops? Brutalizing and traumatizing school kids is a day that ends in y for stateside cops :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #164368 on: January 20, 2024, 08:37:55 am »

Sounds to me that whoever wrote that was actually facetious regarding the animal shelter, because obviously no animal shelter employee will come once called to fetch a kid from a school and move him/her into a cage back in the shelter :D

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164369 on: January 20, 2024, 09:18:37 am »

The proposed measure is clearly hyperbolic, which is what I would call unprofessional at a minimum.

My personal opinion is that I suppose if you want to be a furry, that's fine. But school is not the place to exercise it - recess excepted.  Same as I would not want my surgeon to exercise it in the OR, same as I would not want to go see a financial adviser and have them sitting there grooming themselves like an animal.

It's about recognizing the appropriate situations for various activities. I count it as a subset of lack of situational awareness and self control.
Pages: 1 ... 10956 10957 [10958] 10959 10960 ... 11003