Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10951 10952 [10953] 10954 10955 ... 11000

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13623268 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164280 on: January 09, 2024, 12:37:29 am »

It is true that fists are lethal weapons - fists and feet routinely are the second most common murder weapon in the US, behind handguns and ahead of all other firearms), but that doesn't mean that all fistfights are potentially deadly encounters. People seriously hurt or killed in that way are usually from sustained beatings that go far beyond a regular fight and which a regular fistfight doesn't escalate to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #164281 on: January 09, 2024, 12:40:28 am »

Dying in a fistfight could also be a consequence of getting hit and falling on your head.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #164282 on: January 09, 2024, 12:56:23 am »

It can, but that's rare enough that you can't treat it as justification for lethal force. Generally speaking, no court's going to accept "he came at me with fists, so I pulled a knife (or gun)" as valid self defense unless there's additional mitigating circumstances like the person with a weapon being elderly or handicapped.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164283 on: January 09, 2024, 05:20:53 am »

"But judge you don't understand he pulled a fist on me!"
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #164284 on: January 09, 2024, 08:55:43 am »

That’s… an utterly ridiculous sentiment.

PPE: the winners and losers one. lol I outlived you by 15 minutes what a scrub lol

I think you misunderstood the sentiment. It's anti-fight, because the difference between winning and losing a fight is dying 15 minutes later in the ambulance.

That's why it's ironic that it's so prevalent among people who also are secret Jason Bourne Liam Neeson top of their class gorilla Street fighters
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #164285 on: January 09, 2024, 01:50:09 pm »

That makes more sense.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164286 on: January 09, 2024, 07:27:59 pm »

Trying to understand why my mother-in-law's old windows PC is so insanely slow. It's a.. I dunno, 2.5GHZ-ish AMD Dell All-in-one with 8GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive, running Win10 Home.  But it is by far the slowest computer I've ever seen in my life.  Trying to figure it out, I'm looking at performance monitors and the like - the main culprit appears to be something eating tons of use:  disk usage is pegged at 100%, disk queue can't get lower than like 17, and there are around a dozen processes with disk access response times at 6000 ms. Yes, that's 6 seconds.

It's baffling.

I tried to disable memory compression, along with disabling all kinds of other crap that was installed that is running all kinds of background tasks.

The computer is now stuck in "Preparing Windows; don't turn off your computer".  For literally like an hour.

If I thought she could handle it I'd wipe it and install Linux, but I don't think she'd be able to cope.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164287 on: January 09, 2024, 09:46:41 pm »

If it's anything like what I've dealt with in the past, it's probably staggering amounts of malware. Especially if the in-law's one of those folks that never really wrapped their head about saying no to everything their browser asks them and not installing random lotto programs or whatever.

If it ever loads, maybe see if you can boot it in safe mode and start stripping just... basically everything. Send ye toolbars back to extension hell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164288 on: January 09, 2024, 10:28:28 pm »

No it wasn’t malware… that was the first thing I checked.

I think it was a combination of memory compression and four apps that were constantly trying to auto-update; I blew away chrome and opera (leaving brave and Edge, which you can’t really get rid of), got rid of Office 365 Click-to-start, got rid of a bunch of McAfee stuff, got rid of a bunch of Adobe stuff, some “enhanced video player suite” thing (looked like outdated DVD burning software), turned off Edge’s performance boost feature (because no I don’t want it pre-running and cached in RAM thankyouverymuch)…

And now it just feels like a normal slow Windows instead of slower-than-commodore-64-running-GEOS Windows.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164289 on: January 10, 2024, 09:33:13 am »

I managed to get rid of Edge using Bulk Crap Uninstaller myself.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164290 on: January 10, 2024, 10:50:11 am »

I simply deleted the .exe file for it, then used Windows own application list to officially remove it.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164291 on: January 10, 2024, 11:15:44 am »

I thought Microsoft went back on their antitrust thing from years ago, and again made Edge an integrated part of the OS, so if you delete it things would break?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164292 on: January 10, 2024, 12:02:39 pm »

So it turns out it sort of reinstalled itself. It's back in installed apps.

But since C:/system/msedge.exe is missing, it's unable to actually do anything.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164293 on: January 10, 2024, 12:04:42 pm »

Edge is considered essential to new windows.

it reinstalls itself, and im not 100% but I think fucking with it was part of why my old pc eventually just failed to boot.  That and aggressively shutting down updates
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164294 on: January 10, 2024, 12:13:17 pm »

Another reason why you shouldn't uninstall Microsoft Edge: is WebView2. The Microsoft Edge WebView2 runtime is used by third-party app developers to display web content within Windows apps. You can't uninstall Microsoft Edge WebView2 because Windows 11 requires WebView2 for running underlying apps and processes running in the background on your PC.
Yeah, you need edge for windows to work properly. If you do manage to kill it and keep it dead some basic computer functionality will be borked. Would not recommend.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 10951 10952 [10953] 10954 10955 ... 11000