Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10931 10932 [10933] 10934 10935 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573146 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163980 on: November 14, 2023, 04:07:24 am »

Apparently the Ghandi bug from civilization where he nukes everyone because of an integer overflow on his peace value was made up and wasn't ever true.
This isn't quite correct. The integer overflow made him just an extreme warmonger.

The nuke thing came from how the AI in Civ 1 (and 2) had no inhibitions about using nukes in wars. Even non-warmonger Gandhi would nuke you in any war, but so would Stalin, or Shaka.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163981 on: November 14, 2023, 04:25:36 am »

I think part of it was also when AI civs got nuclear weapons in the early games they would tell you “our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS” which is a bit out of character in Gandhi’s case.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163982 on: November 14, 2023, 04:44:35 am »

Apparently the Ghandi bug from civilization where he nukes everyone because of an integer overflow on his peace value was made up and wasn't ever true.
This isn't quite correct. The integer overflow made him just an extreme warmonger.
According to the Wiki article, quoting Reynolds and Meier, there was never an integer overflow at all.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163983 on: November 14, 2023, 07:55:37 am »

seems like itd be an easy thing to test out, just DL a copy of the abandonware, as close to release as possible, and play a 1v1 with your true blue friend ghandi.

But if the meme sparked from the dialogue about having nukes instead of using nukes then I guess that works too.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163984 on: November 14, 2023, 10:38:03 am »

I always thought it was a integer (byte really) underflow. Basically the same thing, but in the opposite direction.

Basically, what I heard was thus:

Reaching a particular governmental regime (democracy, I believe) would lower an AI's agression value by 2.
India, under Ghandi, had agression value of 1.
When India reached democracy, it would count 1-2=255 and Ghandi would become super-agressive.

I never played far into Civ I, nor do I have the source code, so I do not know how true this is.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163985 on: November 14, 2023, 01:45:55 pm »

I feel incredibly distracted. I can't think straight.

My exams are next week. I can't study like this. This is the worst possible time for it.

Seriously, what in the fuck is wrong with me right now?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163986 on: November 14, 2023, 02:02:34 pm »

Anxiety does that. You need to look after yourself as well which can mean time away from studying.

Might be something else, but that seems most likely if you’re worrying about your inability to study, which has the wonderful effect of making the anxiety worse and entering a cycle of being anxious to do study but not being able to do it so getting more anxious and being even less able to do it until you go bananas.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163987 on: November 14, 2023, 05:40:37 pm »

so I do not know how true this is.
The devs say not true. Check the Wikipedia article on 'nuclear Gandhi'.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163988 on: November 14, 2023, 06:00:10 pm »

I mean, the devs say that, but has anyone gone and checked?

Neat that they apparently got around to intentionally leaning into it in 5 and 6, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #163989 on: November 14, 2023, 08:31:27 pm »

Underflows are overflows, bitwise. They are the same.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163990 on: November 15, 2023, 01:58:38 am »

So is it true or not?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163991 on: November 15, 2023, 02:06:59 am »

No, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Gandhi
In reality, according to the Civilization II lead game designer Brian Reynolds, there were only three possible aggression levels in Civilization, and even though Gandhi's AI had the lowest possible aggression level, he shared it with one third of all leaders.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163992 on: November 15, 2023, 02:57:15 am »

Damn now I feel lied to about that whole thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163993 on: November 15, 2023, 04:35:56 am »

In reality, according to the Civilization II lead game designer Brian Reynolds, there were only three possible aggression levels in Civilization, and even though Gandhi's AI had the lowest possible aggression level, he shared it with one third of all leaders.

In early 2012, 21 years after the original Civilization was released, a TV Tropes user named Tunafish claimed that a bug existed in Civilization that caused Gandhi to be much more aggressive. Tunafish did not provide any proof.
"My source was I made it up"

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #163994 on: November 15, 2023, 07:04:54 am »

That's Civ 2. A while ago I read this (very good) let's play of 2 but its mechanics were different from 1. https://lparchive.org/Civilization-2/

This is the post that explains Civ 2 personalities. Who knows maybe it's the same in 1 too.

Honestly him misremembering or confusing the two games is possible?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 10931 10932 [10933] 10934 10935 ... 11041