Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10920 10921 [10922] 10923 10924 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14569589 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163815 on: October 16, 2023, 08:38:59 pm »

Went to the upper peninsula of Michigan last week, just got back.

Beautiful country, great parks, doesn't smell as bad as Wisconsin, yada yada yada.

Why the fuck does Michigan hate road signs? Town Street signs, speed limit signs, major road signs. They seem so rarely used and when they are used, it's often tiny signs or in weird places. Most town streets are just totally without signs, especially in smaller towns. Even on major roads the signs are rare and when posted often seem to be the size and location I'd expect from some suburban road you drive 15mph on, not some road sign you're suppose to see on a 70mph road. And speaking of the speed of roads, those are like never posted either! I'm not sure if I saw a speed limit sign before Houghton, it seems like mostly you get them when you are entering a town, if the town isn't too small, and only really big towns bother with a speed limit when you're exiting it felt like. How the heck is anyone suppose to know what speed to drive?

But the worst part about the sign situation has to be that when they do exist,  they often have the most asinine placement of them. For roads that do apparently merit actual multiple signs, major turn offs and the like, instead of something sane like signs saying that a turn off is coming, and then the turn off having an arrow pointing the way, multiple times on my trip though Michigan I came across situations where a sign "warning" about an upcoming turn would simply have the name of the upcoming road and an arrow pointing the direction of the turn... Which more often then not would mean you have signs saying shit like "98!" with an arrow pointing directly down a road and that road not being 98! Because actually, 98 is a block or two up. And the road it's pointing directly at, of course, doesn't have any other signs that tell you what it actually is to warn you it's not 98 because of course like 95% of roads in Michigan, it doesn't merit a sign at all apparently.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163816 on: October 16, 2023, 11:17:57 pm »

Wisconsin doesn’t smell bad, what makes you say Wisconsin smells bad?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #163817 on: October 17, 2023, 08:08:32 am »

cows, probably

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163818 on: October 17, 2023, 08:14:40 am »

cows don't stink, HORSES STINK
let

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163819 on: October 17, 2023, 08:49:40 am »

Im just going to put in the thread that there is an actual bear named Pooh
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #163820 on: October 17, 2023, 10:02:37 am »

Went to the upper peninsula of Michigan last week, just got back.

Beautiful country, great parks, doesn't smell as bad as Wisconsin, yada yada yada.

Why the fuck does Michigan hate road signs? Town Street signs, speed limit signs, major road signs. They seem so rarely used and when they are used, it's often tiny signs or in weird places. Most town streets are just totally without signs, especially in smaller towns. Even on major roads the signs are rare and when posted often seem to be the size and location I'd expect from some suburban road you drive 15mph on, not some road sign you're suppose to see on a 70mph road. And speaking of the speed of roads, those are like never posted either! I'm not sure if I saw a speed limit sign before Houghton, it seems like mostly you get them when you are entering a town, if the town isn't too small, and only really big towns bother with a speed limit when you're exiting it felt like. How the heck is anyone suppose to know what speed to drive?

But the worst part about the sign situation has to be that when they do exist,  they often have the most asinine placement of them. For roads that do apparently merit actual multiple signs, major turn offs and the like, instead of something sane like signs saying that a turn off is coming, and then the turn off having an arrow pointing the way, multiple times on my trip though Michigan I came across situations where a sign "warning" about an upcoming turn would simply have the name of the upcoming road and an arrow pointing the direction of the turn... Which more often then not would mean you have signs saying shit like "98!" with an arrow pointing directly down a road and that road not being 98! Because actually, 98 is a block or two up. And the road it's pointing directly at, of course, doesn't have any other signs that tell you what it actually is to warn you it's not 98 because of course like 95% of roads in Michigan, it doesn't merit a sign at all apparently.

That whole area is past its prime. You have a lot of blight in the Indiana/Michigan area. Struggling economies, dying towns and a lot of elderly people. Don't even get me started on the Toll Ways, which are designed to confuse and infuriate both locals and people driving through. I've driven in that area frequently for probably the last 30 years and I swear very little has changed since I was a kid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163821 on: October 17, 2023, 10:35:13 am »

I went to go visit my nephew a few years ago, and theyre in a small Penn town in the middle of the state.  Made a roadtrip of it, got a lot of cool pictures of the drive...

The town itself is majority owned by one family.  The grocery stores, the barbershops, the trucking that comes through, even the 'town' dump, which is also a large metal stripping operation that buys up other town's trash and does whatever the hell they do to process the trash.

My half-sister works as a waitress and it seems like youre either dirt poor, in the military, or part of 'the family' down there.  Her mother was dating a mechnaic who worked on the mega-trucks the dump had, and he was bragging about making $20/hr.  I know the cost of living down there is less than where I live, but I kept mum about how even store clerks made $15/hr up here and I was easily outpacing him.

The downtown strip was half abandoned offices and warehouses, really felt more like out of an apocalyptic movie.  The town over hosted a state college, and was ... better.  Im sure there were plenty of people who had money, but they definitely kept it to themselves.

Went for a couple 10k jogs out there though, some roads go for miles without ever seeing anything that looks like civilization.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163822 on: October 18, 2023, 07:24:53 pm »

Looking for an A580 card (Since they're limited availability right now, not in the sense of everyone buying them but in the sense of nobody selling them instead) and The Verge managed to lose any credibility in my eyes by being completely off about the pricing on cards.

The A580 is £180 standard, plus a bit more because devs are gonna increase the price a bit. The Verge said you might as well go for an A750 because it's better and only 10-20 more.

Looked it up, it's almost 70 more. It's almost £250.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163823 on: October 20, 2023, 04:55:02 am »

Looks like YouTube has once again stepped up its advertisement bullying. Now it's given me a warning that I have three more videos until I have to disable adblock or else the player gets turned off.

Which is either a total bluff, or it can be circumvented with incognito, or uBlock is gonna get an even bigger spike in popularity.

Regardless, I don't see this going very well for the ol' Y-T

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163824 on: October 20, 2023, 05:15:15 am »

Them doing shit like that is why I download all the videos I watch from there.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163825 on: October 20, 2023, 06:30:47 am »

Once per time I restart my browser ill get a warning about how adblocking is not allowed :shrug:  i ignore the pop up and theres never any follow up.

no homescreen ads, no margin ads.  no initial ads, no mid video ads.  Aside from the aggressive algorithm pushing fetish crap because i watched 1 or 2 videos in a genre, the most annoying part of my youtube experience is their insistence on autoplaying videos in a tab i leave open
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163826 on: October 20, 2023, 07:29:36 am »

Them doing shit like that is why I download all the videos I watch from there.

We keep saying it but it's like we fall on deaf ears, which is surprising for a web 2.0 audience, then again maybe it is that which will buy us a few more calm years... I looted enough hardrives I kind of love the idea to archive everything I've seen; in theory no more quotes need to misplaced, everything can be retraced, and accessed for sampling.
let

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #163827 on: October 20, 2023, 01:41:27 pm »

A bit of an "ad" but Luis Rossmann..his company I guess.. launched an app that's supposed to let the user view videos from whatever platform they want (youtube, twitch, nebula, etc) and lets them download them, all without tracking or ads. It's a paid for app but it's also open source, so as they say it should be possible to remove/bypass the code about paying if one wants to.

https://youtu.be/5DePDzfyWkw?si=6uw6_wNbbEbwM5Z8
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #163828 on: October 20, 2023, 02:06:52 pm »

Got chewed out for not doing most (or all) of the household chores because I a) work from home b) have lulls of downtime while automation runs where I'm not specifically working c) she does all of the clerical work for home/critters (and generally doesn't pass these tasks off to me because we have similar control issues)(or I don't have the login credentials to, say, cancel a subscription, seriously) and d) she's not yet accustomed to an eight-hour workday.

Yeah, I've got the capacity, I suppose, but not necessarily the willpower to do it all on my own? Especially when my workday actually requires my full attention or focus. It's a little unfair to be the househusband (metaphorically) when I also have a full-time job. I also got chewed out for not looking at/adoring her more, which a) fair, I could do more, but b) she's almost always asking me to do some task for her or asking for my attention while I'm actually working and I can't be doting while I'm doing or c) it's a little hard to be physically close with a pitbull physically between us.

Also got chewed out for always having my nose buried in a screen (this is true and hurts me as much as it hurts her) including when we're trying to spend quality time like watching TV in bed (which she did not inform me needed to or was supposed to be quality time).

I make dinner all week and run the house while she's down with the covid vaccine/migraines/etc and the one day I have anxiety bad enough to keep me from going into Walmart, I get torn into because she took on a bunch of chores without asking for my help(which she admitted she took on because she had enough work to do at work that she couldn't focus on any one thing), told me that I wouldn't have done them on my own anyways, and that I need to do more and appreciate more.

She admitted some of it was irrational, but she still felt that way. I think there's some resentment because I can get away with doing other leisure activities during work and there's lots of chores to do all the time and because i'm doing leisure activities and not chores, I'm not providing enough.

Just... Kind of venting. Not really looking for advice. The solution is to do more of the chores and much of it will settle since the new dogs are settling and the moving is settling (and it's really difficult to dote on a partner when you've got chores like moving and new dog things consuming all day), but I was frustrated because she was asking me to do all kinds of tasks all the time and I felt she wasn't doing enough and she felt like she was doing all kinds of tasks all the time and I wasn't doing enough.

The petty part of me is pissed that I get asked to do things like put things away or hand her stuff because she doesn't want to get up and walk across the room to do it some 10-20 times a day, but I lack initiative to have all of the other tasks handled on my own, and I can't say no to tasks like that because I never say no to tasks like that and so doing so seems petty and offensive and is Not Funny At All even when it is petty. Also, there's usually a reason she won't do something when I ask for a favor (and I don't ask much, another problem, since I'm problematic about not relying on other people), so it's not usually worth the effort of asking. She also generalizes 'over there' or 'that thing' or 'she said he'll be by today' without context and I'm left guessing what the context is and then she gets irritated that I'm irritated that I don't know what she's talking about and she says I'd only know if I looked at her more often, which I can't really do because I'm either a) working b) driving the car for both of us or c) doing tasks she asked me to do. Shit, hon, it's hard to see the homeless guy with the light-up flowers when I'm looking for oncoming traffic during a turn, and I can't tell a goddamn thing about which way I'm supposed to turn if you're communicating directions by physically gesturing from in front of you in the passenger seat!

And the two times I've brought up grievances where I've felt quite hurt (like she's being antagonistic or needling me or demeaning me), she's gotten upset and retorted like 'if you feel this way, why are you dating me? If I'm just your antagonist, why are you still with me?' and that seems super overblown when I'm trying to indicate that I am hurt and isn't how you solve problems, but here we are.

Fuck, I had a lot to uncork. Sorry.

TL;DR relationships are hard and I need therapy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 04:45:19 pm by None »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163829 on: October 20, 2023, 05:46:00 pm »

Mate, as someone who's been in a similar situation... That is not a relationship. That is you being a useful idiot. And it's only going to get worse and more oppressive until it finally pops.

Being frustrated because you feel a partner isn't contributing "enough"/equally is fairly normal. Addressing that by chewing them out is not. Chewing them out over something you acknowledge is irrational is downright pathological.

You've probably got some self-esteem issues which are what's holding you down in this position, rationalizing all the toxic behavior against you, and making you feel like you're the villain who isn't contributing and who "Just needs to work a little harder to make this relationship work". I was in that cycle for 5 years, and I'm not getting those years back.

I got stinkeye and treated like a parasite because one day I was too sick (pneumonia dregs had kicked up again) and asked if she could pick up the takeaway I'd ordered on her behalf instead of doing it myself (as I'd done for the rest of the month).

I got guilt-tripped repeatedly with her locking herself in the bathroom and crying any time I tried to actually talk about the issues we were having, because I "sounded too aggressive".

I was informed that I would be partaking in the extremely restrictive fad diet she wanted to go on, because this was her "last chance" to lose weight and she wouldn't be able to stick to it unless I was also on it, so if I didn't do this then she would gain weight again, ruin her life, and it would be my fault. She explicitly said that I would be the cause of her life getting ruined if I didn't take to this diet.

I was regularly berated, ignored, and demeaned, and I took all of it because I told myself "I just needed to put more effort in", "Relationships are hard work", and "She's just being playful".

I was reduced to living in filth because she had several times more clothes than I did and was solely in charge of washing the clothes, to the point where I wasn't even able to take up the job myself, and she'd let it go for over a month because she still had fresh ones to pick from. Woe betide me daring to ask if it was possible to tweak this schedule.

Does any of that sound ridiculous to you? Like, why on earth would I put up with that sort of treatment for five years? Because the brain is capable of locking us into cycles like these with the idea that we're not good enough and so we need to work all the harder to deserve being in a relationship, to deserve being seen by another human as another human.

But there was enough of me there that knew this wasn't right, wasn't okay, and made little offhanded comments about what was really going on. Subconscious cries for help.

And I'm seeing a fair few of those in what you've written.
Pages: 1 ... 10920 10921 [10922] 10923 10924 ... 11040