Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10901 10902 [10903] 10904 10905 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572058 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163530 on: September 13, 2023, 12:28:30 pm »

Oh no, copyprotection is surprisingly effective. I tried to digitalise all my cds once, the cds from magazine no problems but original cd/dvd? No shot. Yeah maybe the adequate software is a sensitive topic, maybe search engine optimised off the map by bullshit... In any case I was not able to creat ISO of even really old games, like commandos or deus ex. It's not aomething easy to do nor is there an abundance of info.

I think the solution would not be half bad, sadly disks are dead, so I'll sooner see them introduce a new savemedium for DRM than have disks make a comeback.
Maybe it's harder nowadays? Back when I actually bothered with it (and, like, had a CD drive, ha), it was pretty trivial with multiple sorts of software. Everything I'm aware of regarding the emulation scene indicates it's still not that difficult to rip an ISO, ehehe.

Though so far as new mediums are concerned... it's possible to lock down a flash drive so you can't copy to or from it trivially, from what I understand. If they wanted to go with a USB compatible medium, there's probably something in that direction that could be ran with.

Folks seem weirdly unwilling to just package stuff on a USB for sale or whatever, though. Like, sure, they're a bit more expensive than a disk or pushing it online, but not hugely? I keep expecting to see them utilized as something other than personal/workplace data transfer but it just doesn't happen much.

Godot engine would like a word!
It's weird, the last thing I remember seeing about Godot is the devs of it saying it was a terrible engine that shouldn't be used, or something along those lines.

That said, Path of Achra's made on it, so it's got to have something going for it. PoA's rad as hell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163531 on: September 13, 2023, 12:29:08 pm »

Oh no, copyprotection is surprisingly effective. I tried to digitalise all my cds once, the cds from magazine no problems but original cd/dvd? No shot. Yeah maybe the adequate software is a sensitive topic, maybe search engine optimised off the map by bullshit... In any case I was not able to creat ISO of even really old games, like commandos or deus ex. It's not aomething easy to do nor is there an abundance of info.

I think the solution would not be half bad, sadly disks are dead, so I'll sooner see them introduce a new savemedium for DRM than have disks make a comeback.
Lawl. I had copies of both of those.
Breaking CD protection was largely trivial. Worst case scenario was a Cd crack from the net (which applied to neither of those games)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163532 on: September 13, 2023, 12:32:22 pm »

I mean, for older stuff... I still have a burnt copy of my old WC3 installation somewhere around here. Not the installation disc (though it's actually around here somewhere, too, for all I lost the key literally decades ago), just the install itself with instructions on how to rig the registry to recognize it appropriately. Worked the last time I bothered with it, too :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163533 on: September 13, 2023, 12:58:32 pm »

installing a crack is not creating an ISO yourself, if any of you have any software that does ISO from original cds I will install that in a heartbeat

ugh can you imagine looking for a crack in 2023? those sites and warez were allready sketchy af in the golden days, and these days the "no free lunch" mentality is strong
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163534 on: September 13, 2023, 01:54:08 pm »

I mean, I just copied all my old disks to isos a few months ago, having put it off for a long time due to not bothering to have a disk drive, with the complicated future magic of dd. It took approximately zero effort.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #163535 on: September 13, 2023, 02:33:44 pm »

My favorite take on it was along the lines of: "Unity just announced you might wanna download Unreal"

Because it perfectly sums up the effect something like this (even if they retract all of it the very next day, the trust has been taken out back and shot dead) is going to have on a large number of people using it. It's almost baffling how nobody in charge had the five minutes of a sit down to think about the possible consequences of this.

But then you read that the CEO has been busy selling his part of the shares for months now and it stops being baffling. The question then becomes, was he really that fucking stupid to think that people wouldn't noticed something like this, that they wouldn't start asking very pointed questions once they did?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163536 on: September 13, 2023, 02:35:19 pm »

Theyre supposed to file their intent to sell months in advance, so odds are he filed and is making this move now because, guess what, he cashed in on his options already.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163537 on: September 13, 2023, 02:51:21 pm »

dd?
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #163538 on: September 13, 2023, 02:59:26 pm »

Best part: the CEO selling all his shares is John Riccitiello. If you're in your 30s you might remember him from his time as CEO of EA, right around when it started getting ranked as one of the worst and evilest corporations in gaming, paving the way for such potato-based luminaries like Bobby Kotick to continue the legacy of greed he started.

So this all checks out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163539 on: September 13, 2023, 03:14:23 pm »

Godot engine would like a word!
It's weird, the last thing I remember seeing about Godot is the devs of it saying it was a terrible engine that shouldn't be used, or something along those lines.

That said, Path of Achra's made on it, so it's got to have something going for it. PoA's rad as hell.

I know of a couple of games made with Godot. ΔV: Rings of Saturn is a good one. I actually have the software, I've just never used it for anything.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163541 on: September 13, 2023, 03:54:46 pm »

I really really wonder, how much pain it's worth, to go through all this nonsense instead of just selling CDs or whatever and letting whoever holds the CD play the game.

I mean even with piracy, companies are still literally selling 100s of thousands of copies of games.  Is this not really good enough?

Maybe they should look more at the price/volume curve?  Presumably if you are selling 100k games at $70, if you lower the price back to $60 would that get you more than 17k more sales to make your total revenue go up?

I mean if it costs you $100k for anti-piracy technology, do you really get more than 1500 more sales at $70 than you would have without it?

I'd really love to see the actual data about how these numbers change... which would be hard with games, because if you have game A that had some sales and some %piracy rate, then you release a subsequent game B and it had a lower piracy rate... can you really conclude that the different rate was due to the protection, or was it due to a difference in the people who enjoyed the game, resulting in a demographic more willing or able to pay for it?  Or is it just due to generally more people existing later in time, so the total population is higher?

Data scientists, where art thou!?!?

This is not an anti-piracy measure. It is an attempt by an engine creator to squeeze a bunch of cash out of game developers. Different sort of situation.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163542 on: September 13, 2023, 07:48:02 pm »

Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I just found out that there are actually people that believe that 2000 years ago some guy walked over water.
Unimaginable.
I called the police and the psychiatric care for them. That's really a far down the rabbit hole psychosis.

Jesus Christ. How can people be that crazy insane that they actually believe shit that is so scientifically impossible. They are a danger to themselves and their environment.
I hope that people who believe that Jesus walked over water get the right help, treatment, and anti-psychotics. It's terrible to let them walk around without proper care.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 07:53:59 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163543 on: September 13, 2023, 07:53:51 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163544 on: September 13, 2023, 08:00:21 pm »

Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I just found out that there are actually people that believe that 2000 years ago some guy walked over water.
Unimaginable.
I called the police and the psychiatric care for them. That's really a far down the rabbit hole psychosis.

Jesus Christ. How can people be that crazy insane that they actually believe shit that is so scientifically impossible. They are a danger to themselves and their environment.
I hope that people who believe that Jesus walked over water get the right help, treatment, and anti-psychotics. It's terrible to let them walk around without proper care.
Fundamentalism more or less says science is to varying degrees incorrect (not necessarily outright wrong, but certainly missing part of the picture), depending on the degree of fundamentalism. For the people who truly believe that every single word of their holy book(s) is in fact absolutely true without exception and all views to the contrary are wrong, then they would believe science to be wrong. I don't think most fundamentalists go quite that far however - they know that as their holy book(s) were written many many years ago, not everything they say can be distilled into one singular meaning, and there are multiple interpretations. They do tend to think their interpretation is the only correct one, however. Fundamentalism's thing tends to be, I would argue, believing that the holy ideology set forth is utterly infallible and must be correct, at least the interpretation of it that is subscribed to. Feats such as stopping the sun and walking over water may or may not be believed.
Pages: 1 ... 10901 10902 [10903] 10904 10905 ... 11040