Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10882 10883 [10884] 10885 10886 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573632 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163245 on: July 27, 2023, 09:40:07 am »

My POV is the UK, where one in six buildings are <1900s and a Georgian house offers a price premium because of the quality. They haven't been "rebuilt." That's what destroying and rebuilding a building is, which is what you favour in the name of not wasting. But if you don't destroy it, it doesn't need to be rebuilt. Which is not wasteful.

"One in six of current buildings are more than 123 years old" =/= "We could easily have all our buildings last a thousand years if we weren't so gosh darn lazy". Survivorship Bias doesn't mean "oh, those are just the ones that got lucky", it means "you think they were all super high quality because the only ones you will ever see are the ones that were fundamentally sound enough to stay up". That doesn't mean that they were intended to last that long. It means that those particular buildings had the little bit extra (and generally were occupied by somebody well off enough to fix any minor problem instantly ) that they didn't get cascade failures rendering the structure untenable. Equally important, there's a good chance that the per-building carbon footprint is and will increasingly be far higher than a new-build structure of the same size, because they were built in an era that didn't care about such things.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163246 on: July 27, 2023, 09:42:57 am »

You could make a house right once
What do you even think it means to "make a house right", when our needs change over time? Hundreds of old buildings in Germany are currently planned to be gutted at no small expense to install ventilation suitable for using now regulatorily required heat pumps. Were they built wrong?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #163247 on: July 27, 2023, 09:51:10 am »

Were they built wrong?

I mean, yeah? Rightness and wrongness isn't a permanent state of being, things change. What was right can become wrong and what was wrong can become right. Purpose changes, and nothing is eternally fit for purpose. The only thing that never needs to change is something that is never used.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163248 on: July 27, 2023, 09:57:31 am »

Were they built wrong?

I mean, yeah? Rightness and wrongness isn't a permanent state of being, things change. What was right can become wrong and what was wrong can become right. Purpose changes, and nothing is eternally fit for purpose. The only thing that never needs to change is something that is never used.
... right, which implies they weren't wrong when they were built, but became wrong... which is what I was saying...

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163249 on: July 27, 2023, 10:01:41 am »

Thousands is excessive, what's really a big boon to the pyramids is their simplicity and the climate poor in rain an erosion they're in.... 250-500 instead of 25-75 is not excessive.

1/6 isn't low at all given that the population density was quite different, less people overall but more crammed into fewer houses... And as I said, many prefer new. Surely in areas where space comes at a premium, some of them were destroyed while still being fine.

Gigashrug, we keep telling you we grew up in such houses, and allmost everybody has seen work on it done in their lifetime... My father's house had simple windows when I was a kid, now it has windows so thick you don't hear through them at all, and a new roof, for way, way less than a new house. It's work and filth and you keep having to deal with stuff that's laughable these days like "yet another layer wth?"

It's so surreal to have grown up in a house with oversized walls and people tell me that's kind of a unicorn. Man I seen those walls open, this shit was done by poor farmers who probably quit school before 13 and it will still outlive us all.
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #163250 on: July 27, 2023, 10:14:44 am »

Then, we built a House; now we build houses.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163251 on: July 27, 2023, 10:48:04 am »

It's not the same in mainland Europe but I do find building quality of new buildings in UK and Ireland to be surprisingly bad. It's something I've found puzzling; old houses have old-house quirks but the quality *is* consistently better.

In fact my current house was built in 1927 and its brobably the best place I've lived in during my stays in Ireland and the UK. Meanwhile the kitchen extension built in the 70s is largely shit and bringing down the energy efficiency of the house all by itself.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #163252 on: July 27, 2023, 11:04:09 am »

Yea, my family home is half-400 years old and half new-build (say ten years).

The new-build has had many, many more issues in that time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163253 on: July 27, 2023, 11:27:33 am »

Maybe extensions are just always shitty. Whatever thermal design was present is probably going to be messed up a bit by bolting more house to your house.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163254 on: July 27, 2023, 11:41:30 am »

Nah, it IS the quality of the build. The old house is made of some sort of ashen mortar and the isolation is incredibly good. Meanwhile the extension has fairly flimsy walls and roof.

The old house floor is also elevated some 5-10cm over the building's foundation.

As a side note: I love my garden

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163255 on: July 27, 2023, 11:49:34 am »

It's a very nice garden but I'm seeing a distinctive lack of tomatoes and/or beets
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163256 on: July 27, 2023, 01:12:05 pm »

No, gooseberries and ribes! :D

The old house floor is also elevated some 5-10cm over the building's foundation.

If I had to guess the builders of that particular building were smart enough to understand that drainage wasn't at the top of it's game back then. Yeah that's kind of stuff that can cause unexpectedly more work during renovations, but also, it's totally fine for the moment.
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163257 on: July 27, 2023, 01:43:56 pm »

Now that's a fairly decent sized garden!
Personally, I'd get rid of more grass in favour of more trees, shrubberies and wildgrowth longrass/flowers. Hide them concrete fences with greens.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163258 on: July 27, 2023, 03:40:26 pm »

I want to do that evenrually. I'm planting mint and plan to plant more stuff

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163259 on: July 27, 2023, 07:20:41 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 10882 10883 [10884] 10885 10886 ... 11041