Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10852 10853 [10854] 10855 10856 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570992 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162795 on: May 28, 2023, 02:51:23 pm »

Twitter helped by taking down opposition tweets

Elon helped by taking down opposing tweets

I know. Good thing I don't use twatter.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162796 on: May 28, 2023, 05:18:58 pm »

Twitter helped by taking down opposition tweets

Elon helped by taking down opposing tweets

Well, Elon does like Big Man Far-Right Dictators.
I could make a joke about how he likes them up his butt, but it's mostly business as it's cheaper and more reliable to bribe one big leader rather than the hodgepodge of leaders in a Democracy.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162797 on: May 28, 2023, 06:42:29 pm »

Sound like prejudice. Do you know any social media company that doesn't comply with the local laws of country's? Surely Twitter have been removing content request from Turkish authorities for years before the recent ownership change, in fact Tuckey have been one of Twitter top requesters.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 06:44:25 pm by jipehog »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162798 on: May 28, 2023, 07:02:30 pm »

Sound like prejudice. Do you know any social media company that doesn't comply with the local laws of country's? Surely Twitter have been removing content request from Turkish authorities for years before the recent ownership change, in fact Tuckey have been one of Twitter top requesters.
Yes, they have to comply with the law there in order to operate there. The alternative would be to block Twitter in Turkey altogether, which would also benefit Erdogan, probably moreso.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162799 on: May 28, 2023, 07:04:51 pm »

He didnt have to do it.  It wasnt illegal to leave them up.  He choose to take it down, and in so doing set a precedent.

Before the sale, I think that twitter complied with roughly half the requests of states to censor content.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162800 on: May 28, 2023, 07:15:02 pm »

He didnt have to do it.  It wasnt illegal to leave them up.  He choose to take it down, and in so doing set a precedent.

Before the sale, I think that twitter complied with roughly half the requests of states to censor content.
The removals were pursuant to Turkey's laws, and Turkey demanded they be removed or Twitter would be blocked. In fact, they DID block Twitter earlier this year for a while to drive home this threat, explicitly saying they were doing it to remind Twitter of its legal obligations ahead of the election. So, like I said, those were the two options.

Companies like twitter only don't comply with such requests when they find that the request is not in fact legally required, like when random stuff accidentally (or "accidentally") gets flagged for copyright claims. That's not the same as having carte blanche to pick and choose.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 07:16:54 pm by Maximum Spin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162801 on: May 28, 2023, 07:35:02 pm »

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65609123

Other media outlets dont seem to think his hands were tied
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162802 on: May 28, 2023, 07:38:15 pm »

The article explicitly says that wikipedia was banned in Turkey for three years while they fought in court. This doesn't contradict my point that the choices were "remove the tweets" (which, by the way, they only did WITHIN Turkey) or "Turkey removes all of twitter", which would be worse. It says the same thing I said.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162803 on: May 28, 2023, 11:50:41 pm »

Musk is a bitch. Why does anyone expect him not to be a bitch?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162804 on: May 29, 2023, 12:14:11 am »

The article explicitly says that wikipedia was banned in Turkey for three years while they fought in court. This doesn't contradict my point that the choices were "remove the tweets" (which, by the way, they only did WITHIN Turkey) or "Turkey removes all of twitter", which would be worse. It says the same thing I said.

Remember that Musk has described himself as a Free Speech Absolutist when unbanning antisemites, transphobes, and other dregs of the online community. He's also described pre-Him Twitter as an agent of government tyranny for banning them in the first place. Yet he's perfectly happy to actively act as an agent of government censorship when a somewhat dubious government orders him to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162805 on: May 29, 2023, 12:20:30 am »

He’s not a bitch, he needs Twitter to be making him money, getting banned doesn’t do that.

It’s not like it would make that much difference. Erdogan’s allies control a significant portion of Turkish media (I saw the number 90% someplace) so Twitter taking down critical posts probably didn’t have that major an effect.

PPE: “I’m all for free speech but only when it suits me” is peak Musk. My favourite was when he was interviewed by the BBC, he asked for numbers on how hate speech has increased on Twitter since his takeover when questioned on it, and when the interviewer couldn’t off-hand cite sources, said that the interviewer was thus lying, as though the absence of evidence was evidence of absence.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #162806 on: May 29, 2023, 12:27:15 am »

He's a bitch but he's a bitch independent of bending over to a government under threats. He willingly sucked Putin's dick for example.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162807 on: May 29, 2023, 12:42:10 am »

you people should keep in mind that the world is changing. The west is less than 20% of the world population, much of the rest of the world doesn't align with its values and liberal democracy is what trending there.

Some might naively believe that USA companies can exploits its digital monopoly to force their values on the rest of the world in a paternalistic neocolonialist fashion, but the rest of the world keep telling it has options. Most recently, Biden in wink to his more progressive wing vowed to Saudi Arabia a pariah state, and USA was made the bitch.

Overall I think its important to realize how things are and only then think on the best way to bring change in a pragmatic gradual way not immature idealism

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162808 on: May 29, 2023, 01:47:39 am »

Yes, but Elon is still a bitch.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162809 on: May 29, 2023, 01:59:28 am »

you people should keep in mind that the world is changing. The west is less than 20% of the world population, much of the rest of the world doesn't align with its values and liberal democracy is what trending there.

Some might naively believe that USA companies can exploits its digital monopoly to force their values on the rest of the world in a paternalistic neocolonialist fashion, but the rest of the world keep telling it has options. Most recently, Biden in wink to his more progressive wing vowed to Saudi Arabia a pariah state, and USA was made the bitch.

Overall I think its important to realize how things are and only then think on the best way to bring change in a pragmatic gradual way not immature idealism

What are you chatting about? The US has always pandered to the Saudis (and other oil rich nations), even after 9/11, in which 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudi.

Pragmatism doesn’t lead to change because the pragmatic response is to go with who is already in charge.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 10852 10853 [10854] 10855 10856 ... 11040