Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10850 10851 [10852] 10853 10854 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14571396 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162765 on: May 23, 2023, 07:48:28 am »

Honestly looks a bit like a jet engine. Was your godmother (or their spouse), an engineer? There seem to be a few examples of this type of raw engine tie clip, but only a few.
The Ex husband was a Helicoptor pilot, but she remarried
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162766 on: May 25, 2023, 03:47:49 pm »

Asked a question on the ELI5 subreddit that had been asked previously, albeit with minimal response, a few years ago. Got deleted because it wasn't specific enough, apparently it cannot be about a general "topic".

What was the topic? "How were the first programming languages made?"

Apparently that's too broad of a question for the subreddit. Honestly, there's something of a reason that I'm not really bothering with actually interacting with Reddit much, and the almost arbitrary behaviours of the mods is one of them. Old account actually got banned from WorkReform because I dared to call out an obviously fake post as fake, and that greatly upset them because, to paraphrase them, calling out bullshit is harmful to the movement. Which I suspect translates to "We don't like being told we're doing a shit job filtering obviously fake posts so SHUT UP!"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162767 on: May 25, 2023, 04:27:59 pm »

I think the question is indeed too broad - what do you mean by "how were they made"? Do you mean, how were they developed in terms of how did they set up the syntax and semantics, or how were the compilers/interpreters implemented?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 04:37:16 pm by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162768 on: May 25, 2023, 05:42:23 pm »

I think the question is indeed too broad - what do you mean by "how were they made"? Do you mean, how were they developed in terms of how did they set up the syntax and semantics, or how were the compilers/interpreters implemented?

They're five
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #162769 on: May 25, 2023, 06:05:31 pm »

Asked a question on the ELI5 subreddit that had been asked previously, albeit with minimal response, a few years ago. Got deleted because it wasn't specific enough, apparently it cannot be about a general "topic".

What was the topic? "How were the first programming languages made?"
!"
You should have asked Rovnost

Comrade, the first programming language is often considered to be "Assembly language," which was developed in the 1940s. However, it's important to note that this is a simplified explanation, as the concept of programming predates the formalization of programming languages.

In the early days of computing, programmers used machine language, which consisted of binary code that directly controlled the computer's hardware. However, programming in machine language was extremely tedious and error-prone, as it required writing instructions using sequences of 0s and 1s.

To simplify the process, assembly language was developed. Assembly language uses symbolic instructions, called mnemonics, which are easier for humans to understand than binary code. These mnemonics represent specific machine language instructions, making it more convenient for programmers to write code.

The first high-level programming language, often credited as Fortran (short for "Formula Translation"), was developed in the 1950s. Fortran introduced the concept of writing code using English-like statements, allowing programmers to express complex mathematical and scientific calculations more easily.
Since then, many programming languages have been developed, each with its own syntax and purpose, catering to different programming needs and applications.

Overall, the evolution of programming languages has been driven by the need to make programming more accessible, efficient, and powerful.

I hope this explanation in layman's terms provides a general understanding of the development of programming languages. Let me know if you have any further questions. Glory to the workers and the Vanguard Party!

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162770 on: May 25, 2023, 08:20:57 pm »

Rovnost? (look I tried to google it, why does it address you as comrade)

Just reddit being reddit I guess:

Here watch some deadly incident while just scrolling along.
Oh but can't chat about it, or way milder subjects without confirming your age.
That meme you saw and shared 4 days ago? Our industrious mods deleted that, moron.

What never fails tho: here we moved half of the stuff you allready saw to the next page as you turned the page. Oh you refreshed the page? That means you want to see the same stuff again right?!

I often tried to find a substitute, but to no avail yet.
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162771 on: May 25, 2023, 08:30:32 pm »

snip

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162772 on: May 26, 2023, 01:25:19 am »

I'd translate "Rovnost" as "Equality" in this case (Though in czech, it would literally mean "flatness")

I am guessing that this is either a slavic person or a slavic AI.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162773 on: May 26, 2023, 10:39:57 am »

I could have posted it to the 'smile' thread, but it s more of a WTF for me:

Without being challenged, a man joined the motorcade of German chancellor Scholz, followed him to Frankfurt airport, was allowed into the airport, ran up to the chancellor when the cars stopped, and ... hugged him. The chancellor's bodyguards were too slow inattentive to stop him. Turns out the man was under the influence of at least one drug.

Unconfirmed reports say:
- the man only got busted because after the hug he returned to his car to smoke a cigarette or whatever
- he asked the chancellor to perform some music together
- the bodyguards were busy at the time doing selfies

The chancellor has not been hurt in any way.

German source only:
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/olaf-scholz-mann-faehrt-offenbar-in-kolonne-mit-und-umarmt-kanzler-a-311daf71-d469-4207-b30d-e5d392d6c5a7

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162774 on: May 26, 2023, 11:34:33 am »

Damn, Putin could have easily had an assassin jab him with something, then. Lucky he was just stoned.

That's some truly awful security, tbh
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162775 on: May 26, 2023, 12:26:12 pm »

Damn, Putin could have easily had an assassin jab him with something, then. Lucky he was just stoned.

Reasonably sure the German Chancellor isn't Putin...

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162776 on: May 26, 2023, 01:19:55 pm »

Reasonably sure the German Chancellor isn't Putin...
He was saying that Putin could have sent an assassin to kill the German chancellor, and probably would have succeeded.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162777 on: May 26, 2023, 10:05:25 pm »

...Came home from a night at the pub... Right in front of my door, there's one of those Sharing scooters. Lights flicking, alarm beeping,
So I call the police and I'm like "hey I would like to go to bed and sleep, but some idiot put one of those public use scooters in front of my door and it's flashing and beeping. Could you please come and take it away?
Nope, they said. We agree with you that it is terribly annyoying, but we can't do anything. Call the municipality.
I'm like, dude... It's 4am. Do you think that the muicipality telephone numbwe is reachable right now?
Yeah sure, he says, they should be reachable 24-7.
I'm like, I dunno man, AFAIK that number is only available during office hours, but OK I'll try.
Ofcourse, I was right and the number is offline.
So I call the police again, tell them their solution is dumb and unavailable, and ask them again to please come take away or at least shut up that scooter.
No can't do.
Uhhmm.. Ok I say. I guess then that you don't mind if I grab a hammer and trash the alarm system of that scooter, so that I and my 20 neighbors can sleep?
No they say, then you are committing a crime.
I told them to have a nice evening, grabbed a hammer, it took 10 min of searching but I managed to find and destroy the alarm system. Me and my neighbors can sleep now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162778 on: May 26, 2023, 10:58:19 pm »

...Came home from a night at the pub... Right in front of my door, there's one of those Sharing scooters. Lights flicking, alarm beeping,
So I call the police and I'm like "hey I would like to go to bed and sleep, but some idiot put one of those public use scooters in front of my door and it's flashing and beeping. Could you please come and take it away?
Nope, they said. We agree with you that it is terribly annyoying, but we can't do anything. Call the municipality.
I'm like, dude... It's 4am. Do you think that the muicipality telephone numbwe is reachable right now?
Yeah sure, he says, they should be reachable 24-7.
I'm like, I dunno man, AFAIK that number is only available during office hours, but OK I'll try.
Ofcourse, I was right and the number is offline.
So I call the police again, tell them their solution is dumb and unavailable, and ask them again to please come take away or at least shut up that scooter.
No can't do.
Uhhmm.. Ok I say. I guess then that you don't mind if I grab a hammer and trash the alarm system of that scooter, so that I and my 20 neighbors can sleep?
No they say, then you are committing a crime.
I told them to have a nice evening, grabbed a hammer, it took 10 min of searching but I managed to find and destroy the alarm system. Me and my neighbors can sleep now.
Well, you were drunk...

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #162779 on: May 27, 2023, 12:29:38 am »

I'd translate "Rovnost" as "Equality" in this case (Though in czech, it would literally mean "flatness")

I am guessing that this is either a slavic person or a slavic AI.
In Russian, "aovnost" means flatness... if you're talking about people being equal you want "ravnost".
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 10850 10851 [10852] 10853 10854 ... 11040