Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10808 10809 [10810] 10811 10812 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570788 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162135 on: March 12, 2023, 01:33:46 pm »

CBS is partnered with the BBC in some capacity.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162136 on: March 12, 2023, 04:20:01 pm »

In a round about way, all news media is connected.

But yeah, I heard that CBS and BBC has a more formal agreement.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-bbc-join-forces/

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162137 on: March 12, 2023, 08:44:36 pm »

BBC's always toed the ruling party line to some degree or another, but the Cons really fucked it up. They've been filling the upper echelons of the BBC with cronies and been threatening to pull its funding repeatedly.

The bias isn't overt, it's present mainly through over/underreporting. Something against the Tories? Less likely to cover it. Against Labour? All over the front page.

Of course, there are some overt instances. My favourite was the Laura Kuennsberg article on Boris Johnson's relationship with the truth. Somehow, she failed to find a single instance of him lying.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162138 on: March 13, 2023, 02:07:30 am »

Different political landscape over here but the same playbook (from my perspective, it's even worse as we don't have the same level of checks and balances to protect against the tyranny of the majority, and the demography favors the religious who already go for the jugular). More importantly shades of this sort of things is something we see all over the world and all political spectrum, and why I look beyond the political blame game.

I don't have the same rosy outlook on traditional media of the past, it had its share of biases and controversies, maybe even more or more adversely impactful given the times and due to its dominant position in our lives. However, it also gave common ground to everyone and provided an editorial filter avoiding junk food news, blunt lies and misinformation, loaded language etc stuff which is the reality of major online platforms.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162139 on: March 13, 2023, 06:28:31 am »

Well, at least the BBC has now decided that Gary Lineker is still welcome at his job.
I hope Attenborough's documentary episode will be aired after all as well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162140 on: March 13, 2023, 07:18:49 am »

Oh, the whole Attenbrough thing.

From what I understand, that's actually kinda bollocks. The BBC's putting it on iPlayer, AND the reason it's not being aired is apparently because the BBC only commissioned five episodes, the sixth one is being funded by their partner instead.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162141 on: March 13, 2023, 08:22:39 am »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162142 on: March 13, 2023, 09:06:32 am »

Questionable sensationalism from the SVB (Silicon Valley Bank) media coverage:

"The banking industry has $620 billion in unrealized losses"

So? I have unrealized losses in my 401(k) at the moment.  I don't panic.  Unrealized losses only matter if you have to cash out!  (The headline also doesn't specify if that's net or just looking at loss - if you add unrealized gains in there, is it positive?)

Is this really so difficult to understand?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162143 on: March 13, 2023, 09:58:55 am »

The idea that the banks were so reckless and are a push of a button from losing over half a trillion dollars is very sensational.

Theyre supposed to be safe, and part of why they werent is because they invested their clients money into long term bonds that werent mature.

If, essentially, I bought a collectable Today The Great Beany Baby that I knew was going to be worth $1000 in 3 years for the price of $100, Id be making a sound investment.  But, if suddenly I lost my job and had to sell it quickly to [give my clients their money back today], I might only get $50 out of it.  Thus I was forced to realize a massive loss on a 'safe and sure bet' because I didnt have liquidity.

And the reason why they didnt have that liquidity was because they were telling people they had the $1000 today when they only had the $50.  Once one person caught on, the rest went into hyperdrive and ran the bank.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162144 on: March 13, 2023, 10:01:50 am »

But isn't that basically how all banks work?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162145 on: March 13, 2023, 10:04:02 am »

because of all the stimulus during the Covid crisis, they started taking riskier, bonds with higher yields, and then they started reporting the max profit as if they have that money today

they didn't stop acting like the money was still being printed, and kept those riskier practices up
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162146 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:16 am »

How long, I wonder, until there is the first bank established that only makes investments based on the recommendations of something like ChatGPT, since that is all the rage these days?

Would such a bank do better or worse than the average bank? Or would it be "perfectly average"?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162147 on: March 13, 2023, 11:36:09 am »

because of all the stimulus during the Covid crisis, they started taking riskier, bonds with higher yields, and then they started reporting the max profit as if they have that money today

It seem that Silicon Valley was known to work with high tech early-stage startups, which are known to have high failure rates and on top they lent against expected revenue for future services, so riskier than the solid financial institution most prefer. I don't know about the US tax payers but its popped in the news in space and hightech media of several countries whose companies used it.

There is also a second bank than went down, which specialized in Crypto which is known for its instability and apparently was closed after failing financial obligations when its customer got spooked and started withdrawing money.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:41:49 am by jipehog »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162148 on: March 13, 2023, 12:07:47 pm »

they didn't stop acting like the money was still being printed, and kept those riskier practices up
I don't think this had much or anything to do with covid stimulus -- the bank was indeed kinda' braindead with the risks it was taking, but precisely what happened with SVB was people like this (link goes to an imgur album of twitter screenshots, to save it for posterity) being so astoundingly dumb it's vaguely amazing they're not kept inside protected enclosures for their own safety. As the person that I first saw mention this said, "however you imagined this happened, the reality is actually much stupider."

E: While most of it is boggling, the 1:30 PM entry is just wild. As they're in the middle of contributing to a bank run, acknowledging the cause is panic while they're in the middle of panicking, they buy shares in the bank. There is some kind of fundamental disconnect in cognition with folks like that. Something has broken their brain, and for some reason other people think it's a good idea to subsequently give them money.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:11:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162149 on: March 13, 2023, 12:15:58 pm »

In regard to SVB, much of their investments were apparently low-value stuff, not high-risk adventurism. The issue was that they pushed the quantity of said investments way, way beyond safe levels.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10808 10809 [10810] 10811 10812 ... 11040