Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10779 10780 [10781] 10782 10783 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570863 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161700 on: January 16, 2023, 10:59:48 am »

To be fair, people of different skin colours wouldn't be unknown, just very rare. Trade and such happened, there'll have been a very limited amount of migration across large distances, excluding large migration events like after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

However, the odds of running into someone who's black in Britain would be incredibly slim back then I'd suspect.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #161701 on: January 16, 2023, 11:12:57 am »

The odds of running into a black person in Britain during the medieval period would have been quite slim, though technically possible, particularly as Saracens/moors visited following the Crusades.

In the celtic/anglo-saxon era... you'd probably need to rely on the diversity of Roman soldiers and traders.

Even then, the likelihood of having a family of completely anglicised black people welcomed into a community would be very, very, very slim. Traders tended to work in a circuit, so would visit and go. Soldiers were stationed in barracks, were eventually recalled, and were unlikely to choose a trade in Britain over the plot of land awaiting them in Italia as reward for their service.

Add to that basic xenophobia (the English harboured, at different times, grudges against Flemings, Jews, Spaniards, etc) and.... well, Guinevere's background was possible only in the technical sense.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161702 on: January 16, 2023, 11:35:43 am »

I just googled it and they made Velma black((Edit: Indian? I'm seeing a few takes online)). For... no reason other than social-justice points, I assume? You always know they'll use it as a way to improve plot or character depth /jk.  ::)

Ahahahahahaha, Daphne is a drug dealer. Gold.

It seems like they tried to do what Spiderman's Miles Morales did..... only bad.

Edit edit:  Oh, hey, I was right.

'This decision to change the character's background (she's been a white character since 1969) was partially inspired by Peter Ramsey, Bob Persichetti, and Rodney Rothman's animated film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which features a Black Spider-Man.'
You've correctly identified the regressive reaction to it, yes, but GO pointed out that it's offensive to progressives too.  It's weird!  I don't know if they were trying to thread the needle of "offending everybody" like South Park (supposedly), or if the whole thing was just bait for woke/anti-woke controversy.

If so I guess it succeeded halfway, except that the "woke" seem more perplexed than angry.  Not that that matters for the anti-SJW content mills.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #161703 on: January 16, 2023, 11:52:05 am »

Out of curiosity, is what I said 'regressive' because it used signifying language (social-justice points, truly a regressive's slogan) or because of its content?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161704 on: January 16, 2023, 11:53:17 am »

Steam has family sharing. Join the master race!

The current issue is on Console.  We do have Steam, but then we also suffer from I don't give Microsoft Money if I Don't Have to, and game companies picking dumb engines that aren't Mac friendly so don't port to a Mac, so many games aren't available to us.

I seriously have at least a liter of child tears because of this nonsense.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161705 on: January 16, 2023, 12:00:27 pm »

Out of curiosity, is what I said 'regressive' because it used signifying language (social-justice points, truly a regressive's slogan) or because of its content?
I've no interest in making this personal.  Whatever you want to call the anti-woke brigade on Youtube who salivate with outrage every time a person of color is cast or depicted "for no reason", that's who I'm talking about.

Edit: My point is more that this movie seems more like an attempt to anger "both sides".  It's strange!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161706 on: January 16, 2023, 12:03:49 pm »

The odds of running into a black person in Britain during the medieval period would have been quite slim, though technically possible, particularly as Saracens/moors visited following the Crusades.

This is not nearly as true as popularly claimed. Trade was far more widespread than popularly imagined, and the concept of "race" quite literally hadn't happened before the Spanish started shifting toward it during the Reconquista.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #161707 on: January 16, 2023, 12:06:17 pm »

Velma looks like the worst kind of queer-baiting shit on Earth. Bonus points for taking the two straight males and shitting all over them both within a few episodes. Shaggy likes Velma? Make sure not to just laugh at him, but laugh uproariously. And make sure to not only mention Fred's small penis constantly, but make an entire episode out of it.

The people who made this thing seem terrible.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161708 on: January 16, 2023, 12:11:16 pm »

From what I understand, the current (Trumpist, of course) CEO or whatever it is of whatever's at the top of administration pyramid related to that show has spent the last while basically fucking over the company's entire catalog of everything animated, plus much of its other lineup, too. You're seeing the results of astoundingly bad leadership, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #161709 on: January 16, 2023, 12:15:26 pm »

Yeah, I read that they cancelled all other animated shows. So them saying Velma had "the biggest premiere" ever is, as moistcritikal put it, saying you have the biggest dick in the house when you live alone.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:38:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161710 on: January 16, 2023, 12:45:29 pm »

This is not nearly as true as popularly claimed. Trade was far more widespread than popularly imagined, and the concept of "race" quite literally hadn't happened before the Spanish started shifting toward it during the Reconquista.

If that was the case then we wouldn't have the visibly different ethnicities that we have, they'd all would've been bred away.

Trade wasn't widespread at all, in terms of people it was very local. Goods travelled far, but they changed hands often. An English trader and English sailors would not have journeyed longer than the Belgian or Dutch trade centres, maybe some of the French or German ones.

If we assume the Arthurian tales are set in the post-Roman brythonic time period, the idea of black people just randomly populating the British countryside is laughable. The most likely case for a "black" person would be someone of roman legionaric ancestry, whose anfather (likely already "mixed race" than "black" to begin with) stayed in Britonnia and had children with the native populace, resulting in a mostly "white" person, probably with some small traits indicative of their African ancestry.

Soldiers were stationed in barracks, were eventually recalled, and were unlikely to choose a trade in Britain over the plot of land awaiting them in Italia as reward for their service.

I don't think any soldiers got land in Italy by that point. Iirc veteran land grants were mostly given out from conquered lands, so people ending up in Britannia/Gaul/Hispania would not be improbable. There were plenty of land available there after the genocides after all.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #161711 on: January 16, 2023, 01:51:53 pm »

What I found more annoying about Merlin was the... inconsistency? even in the same episode.

Ie: in one episode, Arthur gets himself poisoned by some monster. With a totally antidoteless venom. So Merlin goes to ask for the help of some priestess of the Old Religion, who tells him openly that she can solve his problem but that her magic runs on strict life-for-a-life terms. Ie: she can save Arthur, but someone else gets it (caveat emptor). Anyhow the guy says yes, and his mother promptly gets it. Obviously he's not happy with this, so he goes to the priestess *again* who does her hoodo again and the death curse falls upon his mentor. Which makes him very angry and he promptly murder-sacrifices the priestess, which I guess pays the lifedebt?

I mean: you were told OVER AND OVER how it worked. Why exactly is the priestess here the villain? She described *exactly* how her spell worked, and what was the cost, several times, and asked several times if he was sure, and he was OK with that. It was only when it turned out that his actions had consequences for himself that he actually got angry about it.   You get the feeling that if instead of his circle of relationships it had been some random hobo getting whacked by the priestess magic, he wouldnt have given a fudge.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161712 on: January 16, 2023, 04:37:56 pm »

Genetic analysis has proven a maximum historical "immigration rate" between the general sub-Saharan African and European populations of under two people per generation, for, for all intents and purposes, "forever", with the rate being even lower (less than one) until quite recently in historical terms. This can be proven by neutral genetic drift models. This is the average value for Europeans overall, although I believe (I'm not completely sure) that it excludes populations derived from historical Arabic settlement in southern Spain and the Mediterranean islands (who are themselves largely genetically distinct from their natively European neighbors); the further north you go, the less gene flow there is. Essentially, different ethnocultural groups, even those living side by side, just categorically did not mix much until comparatively modern times - which is why we've retained distinctive groups like Sephardim, Basques, and even the Welsh (who are much closer to Anglo-Saxons, but still distinguishable) to this day.

Now, it's worth saying that the genetic evidence only tells you about who had surviving descendants, not the entire population, but you can compare this genetic evidence to historical evidence that tends to the same conclusion - for example, there are no historically documented cases of people of sub-Saharan African descent in Britain during anything like the time period we're talking about, even though it would certainly be something people would find remarkable; and the ethnic distinctions they did find worthy of remark also show that, to the British of the time, a noticeably "dark complexion" describes something like the Black Irish, who seemed dark enough to their countrymen to justify the name but are almost indistinguishably white to modern sensibilities. If they had experience with much darker complexions than that, it seems unlikely that they would think them any more notable than we do.

I don't think any soldiers got land in Italy by that point. Iirc veteran land grants were mostly given out from conquered lands, so people ending up in Britannia/Gaul/Hispania would not be improbable. There were plenty of land available there after the genocides after all.
On the contrary, the genetic trace of Roman invasion in Britannia is documented to be minimal. Hispania too, for that matter, but I don't really know much about Gaul. Quite the opposite of genocide, there is nearly complete genetic continuity between the pre-Romans and the immediate end of the Roman period (which in the Iberian peninsula, continues to this day with most modern Iberians being essentially Celtic except for aforementioned Arabic settlements, while the Britons were of course heavily mixed with Anglo-Saxons later, although considerable Celtic ancestry obviously remains).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161713 on: January 16, 2023, 04:50:46 pm »

Bought a fiber supplement today. Damn thing cost me over $20. Right before I was about to take it, I see a warning on it that it contains lead. Not "might have lead", "does have lead."
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161714 on: January 16, 2023, 04:53:04 pm »

Bought a fiber supplement today. Damn thing cost me over $20. Right before I was about to take it, I see a warning on it that it contains lead. Not "might have lead", "does have lead."
That should help the bowels move quicker!

Have you tried...fruit? It's fairly cheap in my area, but then again I live in Farm Country.

Oh hey, look what I found out about US worker safety guidelines:
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/leadtoxicity/safety_standards.html

As opposed to this:
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/lead-poisoning-and-health#:~:text=There%20is%20no%20known%20safe,symptoms%20and%20effects%20also%20increase.
Pages: 1 ... 10779 10780 [10781] 10782 10783 ... 11040