Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10605 10606 [10607] 10608 10609 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572469 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159090 on: December 30, 2021, 04:48:55 pm »

They aren't. Fo'c's'le is a contraction of forecastle.

Wikipedia has a good glossary of nautical terms, in case that helps.

Yeah, I was aware of that previously, which is why I was so weirded out by someone trying to say that they were somehow different terms... And while the Wikipedia list is quite comprehensive, it also includes a lot of things that aren't necessarily super relevant for someone playing a 15th-ish century sailing game

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159091 on: December 30, 2021, 05:04:30 pm »

Most of those are likely just MLM advertisements. NFTs and cryptocoins have picked up that model a lot lately. Not surprising that they're targeting the elderly, because that is who most MLMs target already (such as Amway).

Crypto's value comes from it acting like a pyramid scheme, so that makes sense. The weird part is that people know that, but think they can get in, sucker other people, and get out with a profit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159092 on: December 31, 2021, 04:24:17 am »

Today I learned how fucking stupid modern cars are built, because in order to change the turn signal bulb you have to remove the inner wheel well mud guards, take off the entire front bumper facade, then take off the headlight, before you can finally change the bulb. That has to be the stupidest most ass backwards way you could set the car up, and that's skipping the part where the battery is in the wheel well and you have to take the front tire off to change it.

TLDR: modern cars are built by assholes that don't want you to work on cars.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #159093 on: December 31, 2021, 05:41:13 am »

Crypto's value comes from it acting like a pyramid scheme, so that makes sense. The weird part is that people know that, but think they can get in, sucker other people, and get out with a profit.

Have you seen crypto pump-and-dump schemes? The premise is that people deliberately enter into a (literal, uncensored) pump-and-dump at scheduled times by being sold a certain amount of a random crypto, then once you do so, you have to sell it as fast as possible to gain a profit. It's purported that you're part of the in-group who's getting profits, and they make wild claims of promoting said random cryptos to "outsiders".

Of course, joining such a scheme, you're actually the outsider who's getting shafted. The real insiders are those running the scheme­— they know which crypto is being pumped ahead of time, you don't.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159094 on: December 31, 2021, 01:47:27 pm »

Most of those are likely just MLM advertisements. NFTs and cryptocoins have picked up that model a lot lately. Not surprising that they're targeting the elderly, because that is who most MLMs target already (such as Amway).
Reminds me of Bitconnect, which continued to find buyers even after it was a proven scam

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #159095 on: January 01, 2022, 12:41:42 am »

Betty White died today, and I heard about it on EVE Online.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159096 on: January 01, 2022, 03:59:31 am »

I was driving today and heard an ad on the radio that said I could start my own crypto mining company for as little as 5000 monies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159097 on: January 01, 2022, 05:33:41 am »

Whenever my biofamily hears I'm sick, they always want to be near me and take care of me.

...That feels deeply wrong to me.  When I'm sick, I want to hole up with some resources and have an intense fever where I (hopefully) am not posting anything.  Burn it out.  Face some nightmares, come out the other side.

The last thing I want is my family observing me.  And yet my parents always offer to come visit me, even when I explain I'm prepared.  What is that?

I understand that they care about me, but I don't want to be seen like this.  It hurts me to be seen so weak.  I want to take care of it privately.  Is that so hard to explain?  How is it that they still don't understand?  Perhaps every time I try to explain, I'm DEEPLY feverish, desperate to ward them off and not making any sense.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159098 on: January 01, 2022, 05:56:19 am »

Taking care of your child does not nescessarily end when they reach adulthood. They just want to make super sure you are okay.

That being said, it is a bad idea in cases of infectious diseases. The last thing you need is for them to get sick taking care of you.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159099 on: January 01, 2022, 09:25:47 am »

Have you seen crypto pump-and-dump schemes? The premise is that people deliberately enter into a (literal, uncensored) pump-and-dump at scheduled times by being sold a certain amount of a random crypto, then once you do so, you have to sell it as fast as possible to gain a profit. It's purported that you're part of the in-group who's getting profits, and they make wild claims of promoting said random cryptos to "outsiders".

Of course, joining such a scheme, you're actually the outsider who's getting shafted. The real insiders are those running the scheme­— they know which crypto is being pumped ahead of time, you don't.

That sounds hilarious. Less so knowing people are actually falling for it, but...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159100 on: January 01, 2022, 05:27:35 pm »

A lot of scams work off convincing the scammed that they are the scammers

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159101 on: January 02, 2022, 10:18:38 am »

Renowned dutch phycisist Robbert Dijkgraaf has quit his job as director of the Princeton Institute for Advanced Study to become Minister of Education in our new government.

Personally, I would not quit one of the most prestigious and intersesting jobs in the world in the field of theoretical sciences to become minister in a government that will probably fall again within a year.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #159102 on: January 02, 2022, 04:30:48 pm »

Maybe he just wants to take a sabbatical and enter politics for a bit.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159103 on: January 02, 2022, 04:40:44 pm »

He probably expects the government to dissolve so he can go back to his old job and get two wages with no extra work
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159104 on: January 02, 2022, 04:45:13 pm »

Well, as long as the higher education budget does not disappear into a black hole, I won't complain
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10605 10606 [10607] 10608 10609 ... 11040