Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10547 10548 [10549] 10550 10551 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445410 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158220 on: September 06, 2021, 06:06:31 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:24:36 am by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158221 on: September 06, 2021, 06:13:44 pm »

Perhaps one of those springs bb guns with little plastic balls, they are rather harmless but painful enough to maybe scare them? You know what Im talking about?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158222 on: September 06, 2021, 06:18:38 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:24:29 am by dragdeler »
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158223 on: September 06, 2021, 07:12:19 pm »

Airsoft guns work great on cats. Deer very well might not feel it. Meanwhile, steel BB shot might be noticed but has more of a risk of causing real injury.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #158224 on: September 06, 2021, 10:57:49 pm »

So uh... The Debian package of DF doesn't have a raws folder?

I installed DF through the snap store for convenience and although DF works, the files only contain init and saves. New saves will have their own raw files, but this makes modding impossible (well, most modding). What a weird thing. It's 47.04 anyway, so I just installed the libraries myself and unpacked it (which works fine) but super weird.

I presume you're looking in: /home/user/.config/dwarf-fortress/

Maybe try: /usr/share/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 10:59:24 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158225 on: September 06, 2021, 11:24:58 pm »

Did a whole system search for the raws folder and only found it inside the save. Though now that you mention it, I might have only searched in the "home" folder... I know I did manually check the /usr/share/, though it may have been before running world creation for the first time. Doubt that would account for it.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158226 on: September 07, 2021, 12:10:19 am »

So Snap does things differently, (I don't use it, but I think) the files might be some where like /snap/dwarffortress/<version#>/usr/share/dwarfortress. Or they might be in a package that gets mounted like a file system when you run the game.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158227 on: September 07, 2021, 12:23:15 am »

Makes sense and could explain why I could find some files (data and init), but not others. I'm not a huge fan of snap and find myself using it less as a convenience and more of a catalog for programs that I then go out and download/install myself.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158228 on: September 07, 2021, 12:38:31 am »

Judging by the Snap package files here I'm leaning towards a package and filesystem overlay trickery.

For anyone wanting to mod DF on Linux I suggest manually installing to a folder in your home tree and running from it there. (Assuming your distro allows you to run programs from home.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158229 on: September 07, 2021, 12:51:19 am »

Do you reckon that's important enough to add to the wiki? The Linux section is already a bit bloated and has good instructions for installing it yourself.

Edit: Actually I might read through these files in depth and see if I can find a way to fix it and potentially put it up on snap myself.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158230 on: September 07, 2021, 01:22:19 am »

Airsoft guns work great on cats. Deer very well might not feel it. Meanwhile, steel BB shot might be noticed but has more of a risk of causing real injury.

I doubt a steel BB will hurt a deer, I've shot raccoons with the things and they don't give a shit about it, because they just come back a few minutes after being shot.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158231 on: September 07, 2021, 01:58:32 am »

I don't own a bb gun anymore, i was just thinking about rock salt shot in the shotgun. Or straight up killing one. Meat in the freezer right? Mostly I only catch them at night, when I walk out the door, though, and not at angles I feel comfortable shooting in because we're almost surrounded by neighbors at this point.

They've been out there both times I went out tonight. They trot off when I holler at them still but come back after a bit.

The biggest issue is they're eating all our plants and trees we've planted.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:01:34 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158232 on: September 07, 2021, 03:19:42 am »

Have you tried throwing something at them instead of yelling, maybe that'll keep them gone?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158233 on: September 07, 2021, 04:21:53 pm »

I haven't actually thrown anything at them because I never have anything on hand to throw when I encounter them. I should probably keep some small rocks by the door, that's not a bad idea.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158234 on: September 07, 2021, 04:26:53 pm »

The trick that worked pretty well for some folks around here was... to be friendly. Get them accustomed to humans, willing to be around people, places.

And then wait a short period for someone or another to kill and eat them :P

It's disturbingly effective, and also young deer horn fuzz is like the softest thing ever holy shit it is soft. They're adorable critters when they lack self-preservation habits, for the fairly short time that lack persists.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10547 10548 [10549] 10550 10551 ... 11040