Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10507 10508 [10509] 10510 10511 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14552135 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157620 on: June 21, 2021, 06:35:02 pm »

There's always a bigger snail
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157621 on: June 22, 2021, 01:36:57 am »

Your gonna need a bigger boat snail.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157622 on: June 22, 2021, 09:01:37 am »

I summon the bigger fish.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #157623 on: June 23, 2021, 05:26:04 am »

Yeah most fish just got the right temperament for predation; I suppose it's far more unnatural for them to be bereft it. Had to sell some Angelfish that had been aquarium reared from birth; they got along fine with other fish until one day they got territorial because of breeding and ate their rival Angelfish's eggs. All of a sudden they started going buckwild trying to see what else they could eat, which they (re)discovered was everything. Couldn't keep them in the big tank with all the small fish, and couldn't keep them in the small tank on their own for any long period of time, so had to say goodbye to the lovely boys and girls. Once they've had that taste of live flesh it's like their instincts reactivate as they connect the dots between small fish and food

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #157624 on: June 23, 2021, 03:16:43 pm »

Whacky big money millionaire man John McAfee, whose life story is one big WTF after another, has uninstalled himself from life; dying in a Catalonia prison cell before being shipped over to the US for tax evasion related charges
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #157625 on: June 23, 2021, 03:33:41 pm »

RIP McAfee, whose sole regret was not dying free

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157626 on: June 23, 2021, 05:54:16 pm »

Yeah most fish just got the right temperament for predation; I suppose it's far more unnatural for them to be bereft it. Had to sell some Angelfish that had been aquarium reared from birth; they got along fine with other fish until one day they got territorial because of breeding and ate their rival Angelfish's eggs. All of a sudden they started going buckwild trying to see what else they could eat, which they (re)discovered was everything. Couldn't keep them in the big tank with all the small fish, and couldn't keep them in the small tank on their own for any long period of time, so had to say goodbye to the lovely boys and girls. Once they've had that taste of live flesh it's like their instincts reactivate as they connect the dots between small fish and food

My grandmother has told me she was put off keeping fish forever when she was a young woman because she had a tank with mollies, which are livebearers, and angelfish in it. The angelfish learned when the female mollies were pregnant and about to give birth, and would hang out below them and eat the babies as they were born.

Angelfish are fucking assholes really, which was something I keep in mind from my time helping at the pet shop and the community/non-community fish split we had. They need a very particular kind of community tank, and can easily outgrow most good community fish.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157627 on: June 23, 2021, 07:05:06 pm »

Dunno if this fully counts as a WTF, but I picked up the book Madhouse at the end of the world from a bookshop, and it has become one of only two books I have ever read which made me feel so physically unwell that I ended up lying on the floor for several minutes recovering. The other book was ‘The Electric State’, which I recommended to someone else who also became physically unwell from reading it, so I’m not 100% insane, at least.

Point is, the book is about all the horrible things that went wrong in one of the first serious expeditions to Antarctica in t ship called The Belgica. The vivid descriptions of the men’s declining mental health, declining physical health, declining tolerance of one another’s company, declining confidence that they will survive, and declining willingness to go below decks because of all the rats as the crew begins to drop dead of disease and poor health one by one and madness begins to claim the survivors... these things will likely haunt me to my dying day, and I’m not even halfway through the bloody book yet.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157628 on: June 23, 2021, 07:22:50 pm »

Why do you torture yourself like that?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157629 on: June 23, 2021, 11:05:53 pm »

I woke up today at 0:46 and thought someone was welding on our roof.
Then I realised that it was nonsense, because our roof is made of ceramic tiles, not solid metal that a thief could weld apart.

Turns out, it was continuous lightning in the distance and rain striking our roof, but it sounded a lot like welding sparks. It must have been at the start, because the thunder arrived when I was coming back from the toilet.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157630 on: June 23, 2021, 11:21:09 pm »

Why do you torture yourself like that?

Sometimes it's ?entertaining? or ?cathartic? to read these kind of awful, neverending tragedy parades. Like in Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, the main character starts out healthy and hopeful, but later on in the story is so completely broken as a human being, that one of his own family saying to him (paraphrased) "You should have prostituted your wife out when you had the chance. It would have made life much easier." and rather than getting angry at such an appalling suggestion, he just dejectedly says "Yeah, maybe I should have." (also paraphrased)

I'm saying it just breaks your heart, and it's too intriguing to look away.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #157631 on: June 24, 2021, 12:52:30 am »

For some people*. I stopped reading that sort of junk years ago because there wasn't anything entertaining or cathartic or intriguing about it, just misery inducing. I'd finish reading what I started (mostly, anyway), 'cause at the time I hadn't really developed the skill of telling something written that was making my life worse to fuck off, but they never really did much but make my day worse.

Once I got the basic message of that sort of stuff, I pretty comfortably chucked out the thought of digging through that sort of literary sump ever again. Got enough misery in my life to wallow in more of it when I got time to read, y'know?

Now I dredge through other literary sumps, that at least occasionally have people throwing mountains at each other and relationships that are anything other than immiserating trainwrecks, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157632 on: June 24, 2021, 05:13:40 am »

Well, characters do survive, given that these are real events compiled from journal entries and the accounts of survivors, and one of the crew members was Roald Amundsen, the guy who first reached the South Pole, but the main reason I’m still reading this is that I have an intense morbid fascination with the shit that went down in early polar expeditions. I usually can’t get into these kinds of stories, but this one spends the first third of the book establishing characters, relationships, hopes, dreams, goals, etc. etc. so it is at least not an eternal slog of misery from start to finish. This all being said though, if it gets too much worse, I’ll probably stop, since no cathartic escape is worth actually torturing myself over.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #157633 on: June 24, 2021, 12:06:33 pm »

It can be fascinating to get that insight into how people fall apart. It's sort of like taking apart a machine to see how it works, except for people. And books about things like that are a better way of seeing it than trying to do it yourself, that's unethical or dangerous or both. Similar thing with, say, Crime and Punishment -- being Raskolnikov isn't exactly uplifting but it is very interesting.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157634 on: June 24, 2021, 01:08:24 pm »

being Raskolnikov isn't exactly uplifting but it is very interesting.

You haven't begun "stepping over" any obstacles, have you?
Pages: 1 ... 10507 10508 [10509] 10510 10511 ... 11039