Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10489 10490 [10491] 10492 10493 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554171 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157350 on: May 28, 2021, 08:47:52 pm »

I'm over 4 decades old, and now, due to changes in human growth patterns, I must now purchase my shoes in the youth or women's section because my feet are too small to be considered "adult men."  Out of a dozen brands, only a single one even offered adult shoes in my size, and the store I was in didn't (of course) have any in stock. And I'm not going to order them and have to try them and and ship them back; shoes are definitely something you have to try before you buy.

I'm not even a particularly small person; 66+ inches tall (168cm or so), but I wear a 25.5cm shoe. This used to be a US men's 9, but now it's a 7 or 7.5.

I'm all in support of removing "gendered" or "age labeled" shoes - just sort them by function and size dangit!

I ended up buying what was labeled as a "women's" running shoe, even though it was just black and grey.  My selection wasn't based on color at all, just that it was the best fit and arch support, heel feel, etc. of the shoes in my size.  My second choice was a "youth" shoe with neon stripes and camouflage accents, felt a little funny as the toe bent when I walked.  As far as I know it was only labeled "women's" because it was listed as US 9 size, but still the more useful 25.75cm.  Which would have been a "men's" 7.5.

Spoiler: Join my movement (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #157351 on: May 28, 2021, 09:25:53 pm »

Otacon from MGS appears to be based on Daniel Jackson from the movie Stargate.

I mean, they look very similar, the movie was directed by Roland Emmerich, who is apparently the namesake of the character, and the movie was released a few years before the game.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157352 on: May 28, 2021, 09:56:29 pm »

Also: If meth, the only one of us that actually attended this event, thinks something was funky, then they're probably right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aren't you doing the same thing as the teacher? Snapping the rest of meth's class out of the data set?

Get them into the interrogation room, and we'll question them too.  Don't be so quick to dismiss group psychology and the ability for people to defer to authority.  Whether they all agreed, or only the guy with all the money and muscles was doing the talking, we don't know.
Were you one of those students? Would you like to tell us your side the story? No?

Oh, and you forgot to quote the whole message, let me fix that for you:

Also: If meth, the only one of us that actually attended this event, thinks something was funky, then they're probably right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's shit like this that keeps victims of harassment and violence from coming forward.  The whole, "oh, no, you misunderstood.  I'm sure he didn't mean to grab your crotch.
 He obviously slipped"where the victim had their genitals forcefully grabbed and fondled for almost a minute in this hypothetical

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157353 on: May 29, 2021, 08:17:40 am »

I'm over 4 decades old, and now, due to changes in human growth patterns, I must now purchase my shoes in the youth or women's section because my feet are too small to be considered "adult men."  Out of a dozen brands, only a single one even offered adult shoes in my size, and the store I was in didn't (of course) have any in stock. And I'm not going to order them and have to try them and and ship them back; shoes are definitely something you have to try before you buy.

I'm not even a particularly small person; 66+ inches tall (168cm or so), but I wear a 25.5cm shoe. This used to be a US men's 9, but now it's a 7 or 7.5.

I'm all in support of removing "gendered" or "age labeled" shoes - just sort them by function and size dangit!

I ended up buying what was labeled as a "women's" running shoe, even though it was just black and grey.  My selection wasn't based on color at all, just that it was the best fit and arch support, heel feel, etc. of the shoes in my size.  My second choice was a "youth" shoe with neon stripes and camouflage accents, felt a little funny as the toe bent when I walked.  As far as I know it was only labeled "women's" because it was listed as US 9 size, but still the more useful 25.75cm.  Which would have been a "men's" 7.5.

Spoiler: Join my movement (click to show/hide)

I think the measurement for shoes should be in the imperial metric, and they should all be measured "~1 foot"
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157354 on: May 29, 2021, 12:44:56 pm »

Otacon from MGS appears to be based on Daniel Jackson from the movie Stargate.

I mean, they look very similar, the movie was directed by Roland Emmerich, who is apparently the namesake of the character, and the movie was released a few years before the game.

m-metal gear?!

I guess I gotta go see this
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157355 on: May 29, 2021, 01:04:30 pm »

Personally, I've always liked the actor who played Daniel Jackson from the TV show Stargate SG-1 over the actor who played Daniel Jackson from the movie Stargate.  Probably because, on a really, really, really good day, and with my shirt on, I kinda look like him (the TV show one).  But I ain't ripped like that guy, though.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #157356 on: May 29, 2021, 01:12:20 pm »

Oh, speaking of lookalikes, I got told I resembled Johnny Depp the other day, which is a deviation from being told I resembled Elijah Wood, which happened more frequently in my college days. This is surely not healthy for my ego, but I'll enjoy it all the same. It's possible my face isn't cut out for radio at all.

if anything, i just look 'familiar,' i suppose

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157357 on: May 29, 2021, 01:16:14 pm »

I got told that one.  Family counts, right?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #157358 on: May 29, 2021, 01:20:49 pm »

i would certainly hope family finds you familiar- much rather hear something to that than 'who are you and why are you in my house'

i hate it when the latter happens

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157359 on: May 29, 2021, 10:49:39 pm »

I think I've identified the cause of why my meds sometimes overly sedate me: poor pill-cutting technique. Still, though, I don't think that's a good sign of any medication. If such small variations in dosage cause such wild differences in side effects, especially for a drug that's meant to be taken orally, I don't think it's the best choice for me. I've already brought it up with my shrink, so I will be getting something else soon enough.

Also, I'm currently in a sedated state because of the sloppy pill-cutting. I feel the urge to just sleep for an indeterminate number of hours until the effect wears off, hopefully in the evening. What even is English anymore.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157360 on: May 30, 2021, 01:19:21 am »

What even is English anymore.
A big pile of random words, that's always changing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157361 on: May 30, 2021, 01:33:44 am »

I think I've identified the cause of why my meds sometimes overly sedate me: poor pill-cutting technique. Still, though, I don't think that's a good sign of any medication. If such small variations in dosage cause such wild differences in side effects, especially for a drug that's meant to be taken orally, I don't think it's the best choice for me. I've already brought it up with my shrink, so I will be getting something else soon enough.

Also, I'm currently in a sedated state because of the sloppy pill-cutting. I feel the urge to just sleep for an indeterminate number of hours until the effect wears off, hopefully in the evening. What even is English anymore.

"The difference between poison and medicine is dosage" - Roughly paraphrasing the famous Greek Physician Galen

That being said, some poisons are fatal with any dosage more than zero, but the point still stands.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157362 on: May 30, 2021, 02:07:29 am »

What even is English anymore.
A big pile of random words, that's always changing.

Here's a curveball: it's been documented that the very syntax of English is undecidable. If you (or some algorithm on a Turing-complete machine) can perfectly determine whether any and all sentences are syntactical or not, you've solved the halting problem, proving decades of computer science wrong.

That then begs the question of how far you'll have to restrict English before its syntax becomes decidable. I'm putting my bets on somewhere between baby talk and caveman talk.

"The difference between poison and medicine is dosage" - Roughly paraphrasing the famous Greek Physician Galen

True, but when there are non-sedating antipyschotics with potentially better side effect profiles, I'd rather go for that first instead of having to be precise with how I cut my pills. Then again, I require doses so low that variation caused by sloppy cutting actually becomes significant. It's not yet safe for me to be off them. I still need a tiny dose, else my brain overheats and starts turning into discount Alex Jones.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157363 on: May 30, 2021, 02:39:26 am »

methylatedspirit, I'm glad you're gonna be getting better meds.  Just trying to sound smart I guess.  :P

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157364 on: May 30, 2021, 02:43:06 am »

Thats not Galen thats Paracelsus
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 10489 10490 [10491] 10492 10493 ... 11039