Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10486 10487 [10488] 10489 10490 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554642 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157305 on: May 26, 2021, 06:30:20 am »

It’s not a laptop Frumple, it’s a full-blown desktop computer needing all sorts of cables. But I’ll take your librarian advice in mind next time, when it is a laptop :p. Also it’s raining outside.
Ah. Yeah, you'd need more duct tape for that, maybe some extension cords. It's harder to get a computer tower to stay on the wall.

Rain, well, rain you just use more tape! Enough of the stuff and it'll end up water resistant. Easier with smaller objects, though. Desktop tower's pretty clunky.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157306 on: May 26, 2021, 08:47:16 am »

Dont be silly.

While a true engineer can do anything with duct-tape, it is best to reach for the proper materials. In this case, you want indexed metal strapping tape, a drill gun, and some lag-bolts with washers and nuts, and at least 1/8 inch thick metal plate (for both sides of the door).

Some contact adhesive cement for initial setup is good too, as it will help you drill the needed thru-holes in the door.

You will need at least 4 bolts, 12 washers, and 8 nuts. (yes, 2 nuts per bolt. Trust me.)

Form then cut the strapping tape, so that follows the countour of the computer case, and extends away flush with the bottom of the case enough for at least one hole with a washer at each end.

Use the contact adhesive to stick the 1/8 inch plate to the inside and outside of the doorframe. This is very important, as modern "wood" interior doors are very flimsy inside, and have no mechanical supporting value.  Once stuck, use the measured and cut strapping as a drill jig (oriented vertically!), to drill the thru-holes through both sides of the door (and plating).  Affix the strapping at the bottom (only!) and secure tightly.  Slide the computer case in through the sides, and position to your preference, then affix the top.

When affixing, you should use 1 washer on the front side, with the fixed head of the through bolt-- then 2 washers, and 2 nuts per bolt on the back side. Tighten each nut separately;  One nut on each of the four corners, until good and snug, then the next 4 nuts after that, tightened as tight as you can make them, to prevent the first nut from moving after the fact. (this mechanically puts a bind on the first nut on each of the bolts, and thus prevents them from turning due to the jostling of the door being opened and shut.)

The bolts might stick out a bit on the other side of the door. For safety reasons, you should use a cutting disk to cut them down with just a small amount exiting the locking nut, then bevel the cut edge to avoid nasty cuts and scrapes.

For maximum durability of the door's hinge, you should put this nearest to the hinge mechanism as is feasible.

(this is of course, not something you should EVER do-- but, if you are intent on doing it, the above is the proper way to do it. :))

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157307 on: May 26, 2021, 07:23:32 pm »

I just learned that I can send a PM to myself...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #157308 on: May 26, 2021, 07:38:03 pm »

... did you know you can send an email to yourself, too?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157309 on: May 26, 2021, 07:45:34 pm »

I should send a letter to myself and become my own secret admirer.  Sadly, I think it would work, as I'd most likely forget I sent it to myself...

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157310 on: May 26, 2021, 09:33:00 pm »

I set my Speed Shift value to 255 in ThrottleStop by accident, which meant that my CPU was running near its minimum clock speed of 800 MHz if it wasn't running anything intensive. Somehow, I didn't really notice it, apart from some intermittent mouse lag.

I just learned that I can send a PM to myself...

BRB, sending 4-kilobyte Chaos Theory to myself over PM in Base64.

Edit: It works! As for what you could send in at most ~22.5 kilobytes (30,000 character limit - (overhead from Base64 encoding without newlines)), I'm not sure. It's not exactly practical. I believe Usenet did this for file-sharing, but they sure as hell weren't limited to 22.5k.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:46:51 pm by methylatedspirit »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157311 on: May 26, 2021, 10:27:48 pm »

You give me hope for the future. :')
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157312 on: May 27, 2021, 01:17:56 am »

I occasionally do send e-mail to myself. I do it when I want to transfer files between two computers connected to the internet but for some reason do not want or can not stick a flash drive into one of them.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157313 on: May 27, 2021, 01:37:01 am »

I used it a lot when I was in college, and I needed to get shitloads of course materials home, from a lab with a strict "No removable storage!" policy.

Fire up winzip, pack the shit out of that stuff, then email it to myself.  Open the email and DL the attachment when I got home. Easy Peasy.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157314 on: May 27, 2021, 04:06:23 am »

In a group project where I picked out a life expectancy dataset by sex, I was asked to just remove the female part of it. Just snap 'em out of existence. No referring to a population dataset to generate a single life expectancy variable for the whole population, no 'add and halve', nothing of that sort. Just delete it. Only male life expectancy matters.

I know that both sexes have essentially the same plot but one is shifted upwards by a few years, but I feel there's some unfortunate implication in that. Discarding data just because it's inconvenient to analyze. I realize that everyone and everything must discard data at some point to function, but making such a deliberate choice to omit ~50% of the population like that just doesn't sit well with me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157315 on: May 27, 2021, 04:59:53 am »

I could be mistaken, but this sounds like cherry picking.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157316 on: May 27, 2021, 05:10:00 am »

If it is, it's not done with the intent of being dishonest. I did the analysis (forecast using 5 models) on both sexes at first, and they yielded more-or-less the same numbers for mean squared error. It's not like the female life expectancy in the dataset had some catastrophic sudden drop from 1971 to 1978 or something. I think it was just pure laziness. Endorsed by my lecturer, too.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157317 on: May 27, 2021, 05:29:04 am »

The purpose of the cherry pick is not really to conceal, but it is still a misrepresentation to have only male cohorts, for instance, if you are claiming a general lifespan statistic.

If you are claiming a male cohort only demographic, it would not be cherry picking-- it would not be cherry picking, it would be exclusion for cause-- but it is misrepresentation otherwise, and thus cherry picking.

Just cherry picking with no real intent to be deceptive.

For full completeness, I would have done the male cohort, the female cohort, and then the combined population analyses, and given a 3 line plot, and used that to establish error bars for the combined population line.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 05:30:54 am by wierd »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157318 on: May 27, 2021, 05:46:34 am »

I think the problem is the implication that only men matter, and that it was endorsed by the University staff.  Yeah, pretty fucked up.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157319 on: May 27, 2021, 06:03:24 am »

I was thinking of it as more an intellectual honesty thing (how can I claim that this analysis is representative of the whole population when ~50% of it is excluded?), but that's also a pretty bad implication.
Pages: 1 ... 10486 10487 [10488] 10489 10490 ... 11039