Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10446 10447 [10448] 10449 10450 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14546839 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156705 on: April 17, 2021, 07:13:21 am »

Good ol' breakaway sign posts (or "breakaway hardware"). They're not supposed to murder you if god forbid you end up crashing into one. Whoever crashed into the traffic light was clearly abusing that fact, whether they knew it or not. Either that, or both the car and the driver are nigh-invulnerable.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156706 on: April 17, 2021, 10:27:44 am »

If you think phil is annoying, imagine what will happen once the queen finally goes. You may not care about the current royals that much, but you'll be wishing for them back once the kids take the throne.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156707 on: April 17, 2021, 12:48:51 pm »

The Beeb, acting like a state mouthpiece, cancelled all their programming the day he died, on all four of their TV channels (they stopped broadcasting one of them) and put on shit about Phil because everyone has to be sad he’s dead and have any interest beyond “oh, he’s dead”.

There is apparently an Obit light that they do drills with every week to practice appearing adequately sad in the event of a major royal death. I'm actually not making this up.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156708 on: April 17, 2021, 12:55:53 pm »

If you think phil is annoying, imagine what will happen once the queen finally goes. You may not care about the current royals that much, but you'll be wishing for them back once the kids take the throne.

Britain shouldn't let men inherit, simple as that.  :P

Nevermind George VI seemed ok.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156709 on: April 18, 2021, 03:32:58 am »

Lets solve the problem all the way and have no one inherit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #156710 on: April 18, 2021, 03:44:58 am »

Can you report the royals for child abuse? I know some republicans (as in anti-royalists, not the GOP) are currently trying that over here in Sweden, their argument being that children have some right to a private life, and the little princesses and princes don’t get that with the media stalking them like birds of prey.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156711 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:16 am »

I think a judge will rule that you should then sue the media, not the parents.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156712 on: April 18, 2021, 04:13:10 am »

Can you report the royals for child abuse? I know some republicans (as in anti-royalists, not the GOP) are currently trying that over here in Sweden, their argument being that children have some right to a private life, and the little princesses and princes don’t get that with the media stalking them like birds of prey.

In that case, aren't all the children on family vlogs also be considered to have been abused? Like, they're children. They cannot consent to a life of fame, and sure as hell cannot consent to having millions of strangers watch every one of their moves online in perpetuity. Their own right to privacy has been taken away by their own parents, as well as the PR firms/media companies behind them.

Even worse, it's usually at an age where they simply can't understand the ramifications of that. I've seen the moms on these vlogs literally show off their newborn, just hours after birth. They don't even give them a day to adjust to their new surroundings, no, they're like, "I gave birth to you, I have full rights over you, and I will find a way to make money from you". It's all sorts of fucked up. I bet in the next decade or two, many legal battles will be fought over this exact issue. There's already research on the psychological effects of family vlogging on the children. (And a related paper here).  Even in less extreme cases, I don't think it's right. Just hope the judges by then see it that way, too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:22:27 am by methylatedspirit »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156713 on: April 18, 2021, 04:33:51 am »

I am pretty sure that the ruling monarch can't be prosecuted.

It is possible someone could cause a scandal by sueing one of her relatives (speaking of queen Elisabeth II now). However this would increase media coverage of the family, including the children, making it somewhat counterproductive.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156714 on: April 19, 2021, 12:43:41 am »

I bought a Windows 10 Pro key online (no particular reason, just that it cost basically nothing), and I had problems with the first key. So then I went back and told the seller, "hey, this key you sent doesn't work". They responded with 2 keys. Supposedly, the first one is just a bog-standard 'Pro key, and the second one is an "upgrade" key for upgrading from Home/Enterprise to Pro.

I put in the "upgrade" key, and it errored out with a hex error code I can't remember. No problem, the Internet almost certainly knows what's going on; it told me to disconnect my internet. It went up to ~80% before erroring out with yet another hex code, this time supposedly meaning that your product key has problems and won't work. It cost me the equivalent of 1 Euro, and it was delivered over email, so I didn't think it was worth my time or money to complain again.

I went about my day on this laptop. I wanted to install some neato Python-based live FFT (watching realtime FFTs is one of my vices), and it needed PyAudio. Supposedly needs the Visual Studio Build thing (toolchain?) to install. I know now that you can just use pipwin to download a premade wheel file for the exact version you need. I just restarted after installing the build stuff because I didn't know that.

Somehow, even after supposedly "failing" the product key, it restarted the first time with "Adding features...", which I didn't quite understand. It restarted again to complete the changes or something. I went into the System Properties, and right then and there, it told me I was running "Windows 10 Pro". I have access to BitLocker and other Pro-exclusive features too, so it's not an error. I really am running Windows 10 Pro.

I don't know what to believe in anymore. I guess I haven't been scammed after all, but in the most confusing way possible.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156715 on: April 19, 2021, 02:03:34 am »

i did this all to myself. love you guys

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156716 on: April 19, 2021, 02:10:10 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:31:29 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156717 on: April 19, 2021, 04:43:01 am »

i did this all to myself. love you guys

you okay cazzzz?
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156718 on: April 19, 2021, 02:11:13 pm »

I pinged them on Discord. I hope they're OK, but they're logged off for the first time that I've ever seen (on Discord, I mean).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #156719 on: April 19, 2021, 04:55:10 pm »

Man one of my friends pissed me right the fuck off today.

Have had a shitty last month or so. Moving, stress, yadda yadda, broke my arm.

On Saturday, a friend's cat straight up tried to bite through my "good hand." Punctured it in two places on the meat of my palm, drew a lot of blood for a cat bite. It's nice and puffy and tender now, possibly with a mild infection, so now I have a broken left arm with a hand I can barely use and a tender bitten right hand that hurts to grab anything with. I have known this cat since he was a kitten. He's always been unpredictable, always been a biter but this is the first time he's ever drawn blood on me.

Today, while trying to dab on me in front of some women, my friend goes "Well cats are sensitive to people's energies....."

What a motherfucker. Essentially trying to say say that I karmicly invited this cat to chomp on my hand because I have anger issues, when both my friend and his owner have spent YEARS rough housing and playing with this cat and tempting him to bite people by sticking their hand right in his face then snatching it away when he goes to bite them. Oh the cat also bit another person later that night, through their clothes. Yeah, clearly it's MY FUCKING ENERGY and not THEIR FUCKING TROLL BEHAVIOR that caused this to happen.

I told him fuck you because I knew exactly what he as doing.

It's not the cat bite that has me pissed. It's that my friend of more than 30 years basically a) is a troll b) likes to have fun at my expense so he can try to look cool and clever in front of anything with female sex organs and c) implies that I get what's coming to me because of character flaws.

This is the same friend who, in the last 8 years of our friendship, has regularly crossed the line and almost gotten his ass beaten by me several times for doing so. Last time it was when he, without warning, sack tapped me as a 37 year old man and then acted confused when I literally wanted to rip his head off. I wouldn't have put up with that shit in high school, I don't know why he thinks it would have been acceptable now.

I got his apologies but I'm still pretty steamed about it. I got bit by a cat that he's trained over the years to bite the shit out of people, and he tries to somehow blame it on me like I karmicly invited it to happen AND to score points with females. Even if he was "joking" which he actually wasn't, it still wouldn't be funny. Why do some people only seem to be able to have fun at someone else's expense.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:59:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 10446 10447 [10448] 10449 10450 ... 11038