Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10439 10440 [10441] 10442 10443 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14548648 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156600 on: April 10, 2021, 03:54:46 am »

My house got flooded with a few milimiters of water when a pipe got exploded or something, damage doesn't seem severe but it's just very strange.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156601 on: April 10, 2021, 06:59:52 am »

It turns out that if you push audio through a video codec, and you forget to set a pixel format of 24-bit RGB (libx264 generates YUV 4:4:4 if given 24-bit RGB) on the 'video-to-audio' step, you get... interesting results. I'll publish my results later.

Also, Opus, as amazing as it is at being an audio codec, isn't really at all usable as a video codec. Take a look at just 1 frame. Truly the pinnacle of databending.

Just imagine more flashing and general seizure-and-epilepsy-inducing stuff throughout; it's that bad.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:08:19 am by methylatedspirit »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #156602 on: April 10, 2021, 07:28:14 am »

I thought this was a frog meme.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156603 on: April 10, 2021, 07:50:03 am »

I'm inclined to respond "Is that a challenge!?", but frankly, if it does that to a black-and-white video, I have no faith that it'll be remotely recognizable with anything even slightly more complex.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156604 on: April 10, 2021, 09:39:33 am »

I think I found the problem. It's an issue of alignment. See, most video decodes to 8-bit RGB, in which each R, G and B component gets 8 bits (1 byte) each. When you push this through an audio codec without proper settings, it's not gonna understand that all 3 bytes in there are important. If it sees it as 24-bit PCM (which were my first instincts), you'll end up with

Code: [Select]
┌──────────────────────────────┬────────┬────────┬────────┐
│                              │   R    │   G    │   B    │
│                    Raw video ├────────┼────────┼────────┤
│                              │11110100│11000011│10010001│
├──────────────────────────────┼────────┴────────┴────────┤
│                              │        24bit sample      │
│                              ├──────────────────────────┤
│    Interpreted as 24-bit PCM │                          │
│                              │11110100 11000011 10010001│
│                              │                          │
├──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────┤
│ What an audio codec might do │11110100 00110000 00000001│
└──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────┘

So in this example, the color #F4C391 becomes #F43001, which are decidedly different colors. It thinks that the B and G components aren't important, so it just loses precision there, since those are the last 2 bytes in the 24-bit integer anyway. It'd be like rounding off the last 3 digits of a 7-decimal-point number. As for why it produces such "incredible" results, I don't know.

The way you fix this is by telling FFmpeg that its input is unsigned 8-bit PCM. This way, the audio codec is "aware" that each component is actually important, and won't round off color components by accident. This does end up tripling your encoding and decoding times, but at least you won't give people seizures.

I'm not even sure how the 'image-to-audio-to-image' version didn't suffer from this.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:00:37 am by methylatedspirit »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #156605 on: April 11, 2021, 03:19:43 am »

The same graphics card I bought a year and a half ago for 220 bucks (1660) when I built my computer is still competitive enough to be used in some builds.

Now that isn't unusual, it was pretty much the optimal graphics card at that price point so it being used a year and a half later is understandable (hell, buying it 3 or 4 years after it came out used for super cheap would be understandable).

The WTF thing is that it doesn't cost $220 anymore, it now costs nearly $780 bucks. I was aware that the prices on cards and computer stuff went up, but a  nearly 4X increase? Goddamn that's insane.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #156606 on: April 11, 2021, 03:22:14 am »

Computer parts price are fucked up right now, possibly due to a combination of pandemic and the US stock market going to shit and investors buying up dumb things. Come back when the bubble burst.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156607 on: April 11, 2021, 03:30:03 am »

If you ever need to feel sad, just take a look at the GPU Pricing Index. MSRP is a fantasy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156608 on: April 11, 2021, 03:35:33 am »

Computer parts price are fucked up right now, possibly due to a combination of pandemic and the US stock market going to shit and investors buying up dumb things. Come back when the bubble burst.
It's mostly chip scarcity (because of supply chains not working in the pandemic)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #156609 on: April 11, 2021, 05:20:29 am »

So basically, try not to brick your gaming PC this decade.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156610 on: April 11, 2021, 06:23:06 am »

I'm inclined to respond "Is that a challenge!?", but frankly, if it does that to a black-and-white video, I have no faith that it'll be remotely recognizable with anything even slightly more complex.

It wasn't a challenge but now it is after this message. O wamt to see a mess of pixels.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156611 on: April 11, 2021, 06:58:11 am »

It wasn't a challenge but now it is after this message. O wamt to see a mess of pixels.

You mean with a frog meme or with anything "even slightly more complex" (than Bad Apple)? You're gonna have to point me to a frog meme video if it's the former; I'm not getting good search results with "frog meme".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156612 on: April 11, 2021, 07:00:43 am »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UN-NgihqbLM

I honestly don't even know what this is.
(The Chinese is just a generic failed call message)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156613 on: April 11, 2021, 08:03:39 am »

The bitrate of the "corrupted" video is 160 Mbps. For a 504x360 video. Holy shit. Granted, that's in a lossless format, but holy shit. I'm gonna have to upscale this thing to 4K to get this to be remotely viewable on YouTube.

Edit: The upscaled version has trouble playing in VLC. I have to use ffplay to get it to play at all. Lookin' good!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:07:38 am by methylatedspirit »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156614 on: April 11, 2021, 09:11:07 am »

Alright. Here you go, delphonso! I'll have to declare a seizure warning.

frog speaking chinese meme """improved"""

It doesn't look like absolute trash upscaled to 4K (nearest neighbor), which is surprising given the insane bitrate of the output video. No wonder it took so long to process. The output was so noisy, that the "compressed" lossless version ended up being larger than the original raw video despite being the same resolution!

As a sidenote: While doing this, Windows decided that my naming scheme for my files was so bad that Explorer literally froze up. Had to rename the problem file in Command Prompt. The name was "frog-meme-vid-libopus-320k.opus". Make of that what you will.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:24:31 am by methylatedspirit »
Pages: 1 ... 10439 10440 [10441] 10442 10443 ... 11038