Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10409 10410 [10411] 10412 10413 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554110 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156150 on: March 13, 2021, 07:52:56 pm »

On a unrelated note. I FUCKING HATE DOING PLUMBING WORK. F.U.C.K.I.N.G H.A.T.E. I.T. to the point playing FALTAL might be a better way to spend my time.

Or at least, plumbing on a budget.

Out of four things of plumbing I had to do today only one went fine. Putting the faucet of a lavatory.

Putting a Y for a old washing machine resulted almost okay except for a very small leak that fortunately is over a sink, then the faucet of a kitchen sink simply refused to stop leaking despite being new.

Finally changing another faucet from the wall resulted in the new faucet breaking to bits...

WTF??? I know how to do all those things, even for a living, but I guess is using the pieces that I can afford which are the cheapest ones the fault.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156151 on: March 13, 2021, 07:55:20 pm »

RPGs made by bad people rarely have good crunch. Though the inverse isn't true, as Eclipse Phase seems to be made by good people and it's got horrible crunch.
Hold on, "crunch"? I'm imagining people eating the books for these games, but I don't think that's the right interpretation.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156152 on: March 13, 2021, 07:56:03 pm »

RPGs made by bad people rarely have good crunch. Though the inverse isn't true, as Eclipse Phase seems to be made by good people and it's got horrible crunch.
Hold on, "crunch"? I'm imagining people eating the books for these games, but I don't think that's the right interpretation.
Crunch = Rules, mechanics

Fluff = Lore, story
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156153 on: March 13, 2021, 08:04:59 pm »

Crunch = Captain

Fluff = Fluffly

Edit: Im still livid because of plumbing.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156155 on: March 13, 2021, 08:10:55 pm »

Nother interpretaion: Crunch is short for "number crunching". In tabletop gaming, crunch is the nickname given to the process of rolling the dice and doing math to determine the outcome of a turn. The longer and more tedious the process, the worse the crunch is. Shadowrun and Battletech are both games with a lot of crunch in them. It makes them less enjoyable as a result.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156156 on: March 13, 2021, 08:44:21 pm »

Nother interpretaion: Crunch is short for "number crunching". In tabletop gaming, crunch is the nickname given to the process of rolling the dice and doing math to determine the outcome of a turn. The longer and more tedious the process, the worse the crunch is. Shadowrun and Battletech are both games with a lot of crunch in them. It makes them less enjoyable as a result.
That's the opposite of how I usually hear it - in my experience, "crunch" is meant as a good thing.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156157 on: March 13, 2021, 08:49:17 pm »

This does make me wonder if there are any games which are just horrible but have really elegant and usable game design.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156158 on: March 13, 2021, 08:50:03 pm »

Crunch is a neutral term. It exists only to differentiate between hard mechanics and in-universe flavor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156159 on: March 13, 2021, 09:18:59 pm »

This does make me wonder if there are any games which are just horrible but have really elegant and usable game design.

I mean Vampire the Masquerade is an rpg where you play as vampires, and those are usually a metaphor for rape. People still like it though.

If you want to venture outside of RPGs, we've got video games like Carrion and I'm pretty sure there were a few ultraviolent flash games too. I think what prevents horrible games from being well-designed (RIP Yandere Simulator), is that the people with the skills to design a good game probably made a career out of those skills. They are somewhat public figures and they have a reputation to uphold. Making something horrible probably isn't that profitable either since the target audience is so small, so they probably spend their talents on making something that is. Something safer.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Response to Frumple (click to show/hide)

Funny how that timing worked out. As you can probably imagine, I disagree with this statement a little. I believe the incentives make competent horrible stuff less likely, though not impossible. Especially among smaller indie projects.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:24:24 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156160 on: March 13, 2021, 09:19:24 pm »

Almost certainly; there's tons of ttrpg (or just game design in general) cruft floating around, and non-assholes don't exactly have a monopoly on functional mechanics. Shitty lore et al often does get in the way of it ('cause it means your players are doing shitty things, which can throw things off or force the designer to kludge in shitty mechanics to encourage it), but it's not necessarily the case.

It's maybe not super egregious, but as an example I stopped playing Monster Sanctuary (a fairly recent monster catching metroidvania with pretty damn solid mechanics) basically due to the implications of some of the lore* and what it meant about the character of the folks you were forced to work with. I was just, like. Nope. I'm done.

Haven't come back to it since.

* Specifically the goblin miners bio, who were stated to be unilaterally part of a union so wildly terrible it ends up killing the majority of its members, a characteristic the main player faction specifically does business with them because of. Was just like, "Wow, these fuckers are incredibly evil, I'm going to go play something else now."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156161 on: March 13, 2021, 09:23:45 pm »

Marvel V Capcom Infinite had pretty damn solid game mechanics, but practically everything else about the game went wrong.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #156162 on: March 13, 2021, 09:47:55 pm »

How so? Isn't game mechanics mostly what matters in a fighting game?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156163 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:59 pm »

Was it microtransactions. Those seem like a very morally questionable element to add to any game.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156164 on: March 13, 2021, 10:15:50 pm »

It's maybe not super egregious, but as an example I stopped playing Monster Sanctuary (a fairly recent monster catching metroidvania with pretty damn solid mechanics) basically due to the implications of some of the lore* and what it meant about the character of the folks you were forced to work with. I was just, like. Nope. I'm done.
I always find it deeply fascinating when people say stuff like this. What is it about the morality of these kinds of fictional scenarios that makes you feel so strongly? I can't even imagine being unwilling to play a game because it involved fictional rape or murder or whatever. Honestly, it's often a plus (eg, Crusader Kings, which has both in spades).
Pages: 1 ... 10409 10410 [10411] 10412 10413 ... 11039