Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10402 10403 [10404] 10405 10406 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554784 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156045 on: March 04, 2021, 04:14:40 am »

I'm fairly certain I've heard mosquito noises in a few shop entrances, but there was just so much other noise that it went from "ow ouch owie" to "huh?". My brain's internal noise reduction filtered out the tone. I've noticed this phenomenon in less-annoying contexts. I listen to music while I cycle (terrible idea, I know), and I've noticed that it sounds worse; I lose the bass in music due to the noise. Once I stop, and start listening in relative silence, I can hear the bass again.

I wonder if that's been researched, something like "Human Frequency Response in High-Noise Environments" or "Noise and Perceptual Sound Quality". Surprisingly, no articles or similar show up, at least on Google.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156046 on: March 04, 2021, 07:30:59 pm »

This bootleg-ass Xbox 360 wireless receiver I got started working this morning after I spent an hour last night trying to get it to work. I dunno why it decided to start working now, but at least now I have a controller on my PC. I don't actually play on controller much, but I realized that BeamNG is unbearable without the fine analog control that a controller (or steering wheel, but do I look like I'm made of money?) has, especially when cornering at high speed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #156047 on: March 05, 2021, 01:10:29 am »

So my roommate informed me tonight he's not going to re-sign our lease. We've been living together for close to 7 years now.

Things have not been great between us. Won't get into it, but over the course of 2020 there was a shift in our relationship and we went from being long-time friends to merely sharing a living space. Known this dude for over 20 years now. At one point I was furious and looking to move then and there. After I calmed down I realized I didn't really want to go through the hassle.

So when our lease renewal came up, I was dreading it because I knew there was a good chance I'd have to move. So I wasn't surprised when he did that "Hey, wanted to let you know...." thing.

What surprised me, and gave me my WTF, was my reaction to it.

After I went back to my room I.....think I may have had a literal panic attack. My skin became insanely hot and I started pouring sweat. It was dripping down my face and soaked my hair in moments. My stomach knotted up and my heart started racing. I had to sit there and just breathe, mentally trying to tell my body to chill the fuck out, that this wasn't a thing to truly stress over, that I had at least a month to really get things figured out. Then I started googling apartments for rent and the feeling subsided as I had something to focus on.

I've had moments of acute stress in my life, but I'm still surprised at myself. I know I'm not good at adulting. It fills me with dread. The time. The money. The mistakes one can make. I'm not a fan. I can handle it, get things done. But I hate every minute of it.

Despite there being a lot of things I didn't like about this arrangement, it was stable and I hate instability and unanswered questions more than anything. And on the scale of adulty things that are cause for instability, moving and finding a place to live ranks just below changing jobs, getting married and having kids.

That and, while I have a good job, my cost of living is about to go way up. Been splitting rent and utilities with someone for a long time now. I'm probably? ok. But I'm going to move from putting money away to possibly only breaking even at best. For a side-grade if anything. Going to have to sink some money into actual furnishings, too.

UGGGGGHHHHHH I hate adulting. Trying to see the bright side but it'll probably take me awhile. Not having to walk out to the literal edge of the property to smoke. Not having the smallest room in the place. Not having to listen to comically loud yawns through the other side of the wall. I am looking forward to living alone (I think?) for the first time in a long time. But it dawned on me that, while covid has been going on, I've been kinda blithe about the isolation and I don't actually know what it's like to live alone anymore. Despite not talking to my roommate for days or weeks at a time sometimes, the apartment is too small to let one ever forget there's someone else in it.

So UUUGGGGHHHH. And I'm a little concerned about my panic attack. The last time I had a physical reaction this severe to something, it was when I nearly got one of my fingers cut off in a fork lift. This felt eerily similar to what I felt in the doctor's office then sitting in the doctor's chair while people fussed over me: heat, extreme sweating, nausea, mental vapor lock. I guess my body and/or mind was just as thrown off by that as this. Truth is, any time I've ever been wounded significantly to the point I lose blood, I experience something similar. I've been dreading this moment but I didn't expect to react so negatively to it happening.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:34:49 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #156048 on: March 05, 2021, 01:36:28 am »

A psych study a while back suggested that losing your first job felt surprisingly similar to losing a loved one, even if you weren't crazy about it. Similarly, I'd guess your reaction is normal, even if you knew it was coming. It's like breaking up with a partner of seven years or something - it's a big shift, and you're gonna need a bit to readjust. Don't feel bad about it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #156049 on: March 05, 2021, 03:20:31 am »

Been there, makes sense. When things went south in my job in 2019 I spent several weeks out of it, eventually I quit. I was actually better after I made the decision
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156050 on: March 05, 2021, 05:34:53 am »

See it as an opportunity to grow. Nothing like living really alone for a while pal and while I know the pains of moving and a tight budget Im sure you will be able to find something.

How long you have before the lease expires? Is your roomate moving out or you are the one that have to go? Could you just rent that place yourself?

Edit: Try quiting smoking, is a bad habit, unhealthy and a serious sink of money.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156051 on: March 05, 2021, 07:21:00 am »

I dunno who keeps wrapping decidedly non-fragile things with bubble wrap. I had a (plastic) tube of thermal paste delivered, and it was just absolutely encased in bubble wrap, like it's a hard drive containing state secrets or something. That plastic cocoon occupied more volume than the tube itself. I like to say that SSDs could be thrown across a room and they wouldn't break (please don't, but you get the point)-- I think thermal paste is on a whole new level of not-fragile. May as well be trying to break a teddy bear by dropping it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156052 on: March 05, 2021, 11:26:27 am »

Thanks for the kind words people.

See it as an opportunity to grow. Nothing like living really alone for a while pal and while I know the pains of moving and a tight budget Im sure you will be able to find something.

How long you have before the lease expires? Is your roomate moving out or you are the one that have to go? Could you just rent that place yourself?

Edit: Try quiting smoking, is a bad habit, unhealthy and a serious sink of money.

Lease is up at the end of April, so I have about 8 weeks give or take to find something.

It's not that I haven't lived alone before, done it plenty in the past. I'm just not good with sudden change. I'm very cat-like in that regard. Big changes in my circumstances comes with a lot of anxiety because I sort of rely on the stability of where I live and how I have things set up as backstop against other stressors.

But yeah. Things were pretty stale in terms of our friendship for a long time. Financially it's not even that big of a deal I suppose. I have family to lean on and some family money I could tap if I need to, I just don't want to do that.

Just trying to figure out my extreme emotional reaction to it. Even today I'm feeling anxiety. Mostly because the way I work through my problems is to do something, be proactive, get things going, and right now I'm at square 1.

And I'll add your recommendation to quit smoking to the pile of pre-existing ones :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:31:06 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156053 on: March 05, 2021, 11:42:29 am »

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but why are you the one who's moving out? Can't you find a new roommate to replace your old one while remaining at the flat? If he's the one keeping the place, why? Did you sign some sort of agreement saying that ownership was going to default to him? If he doesn't want to live with you, that's his own decision to make, but kicking you out instead of moving himself is just cruel.

It's not like he can afford it on his own salary or he wouldn't have made you his roommate to begin with. He's going to keep the comfy place and replace you with someone else, while you have to go through the hell that is the real estate market during the worst economic crisis of this century.

You have every right to be mad, but you aren't for some reason, and I want to know why?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156054 on: March 05, 2021, 12:07:35 pm »

No, he's moving out.

The place is $935 a month, which is more than I can afford or want to afford for a 2 bedroom apartment. I could seek another roommate among my friends but I think this is a good opportunity to live alone again, and tbh the people I'd ask are probably happier living where they are and saving money.

And there's some stuff about this apartment I don't like. (Love the gym access, hate not being able to sit on my own patio and smoke or have a grill and some other stuff.)

We only moved into this place together because the last house we were renting, the owner sold it. (It was a pretty sweet deal in terms of rent. When we moved our rents both went up and we lost about 70% of the space we'd enjoyed previously.) So neither of really wanted to be here, it's just where we had to go on short notice.

I could avoid the necessity of moving by finding another roommate or sucking up the cost or w/e.....but I think this IS a good time to change things, as much as my whatever is freaking out about it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:09:39 pm by nenjin »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156055 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:53 pm »

Ok. As for your reaction I think is normal, I mean, is okay to freak out on the prospect of moving and the uncertainty of having a roof on one's head. Also the million things that comes with it, moving is messy, things get lost or broken, is expensive, is hard, your whole schedule and routine gets interrupted and changed, fuck even the smell of a place is different and that can be bothersome.  Also while your friendship migth be in a low point it seems like you cared about your friend still and have really good memories with him.

As usual, this too shall pass, and who knows, maybe some distance migth even improve your friendship again.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156056 on: March 06, 2021, 01:45:56 am »

So..

My coworker is apparently so angry at me that she wont talk to me.

Apparently, my unforgivable crimes:

I showed up mere minutes before she did, and assisted the prior shift with an emergent need, rather than doing rounds on every hall for her.
The normal aid for hall 2 was a no-show, so I took hall 2.

Nevermind that she routinely shows up late for work, and insists she is on time. I showed up 'just barely' on time, rather than 'a half hour early', like I usually do.

Apparently she tried to pitch a bitch to the charge nurse about it, and the charge nurse told her she should get to work on time.

Awesome.

WHen do I get my vacation?  Well No-Mask Karen?  I've been waiting patiently.  Can you please get vaccinated so I can?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 01:47:49 am by wierd »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #156057 on: March 06, 2021, 03:42:01 am »

Oh boy, that's a level of shitty above my new co-worker who is merely late every damn day, despite being told it's a bad look that will probably get him in trouble :V

My WTF is the last few weeks in the art world/industry. So, about a year ago I was contacted out of the blue about selling my art as NFT's on this newfangled site, because apparently not posting anything to artstation in a few years made the folks go 'interesting, I want this guy selling art on our site'. I kinda ignored the multiple e-mails sent because it didn't seem like something that'd work (in general, and for me in particular), jump to a few weeks ago when beeple (a damn good artist and insane sonnuvabitch that's been doing daily 3d pieces for over a decade now) made something in the range of several million from his art on a site similar to the one that was trying to get me to sign up and sell.
Now the entire industry is up in arms over the thing it seems, with a massive rush to get in while the getting is good, while at the same time another part is condemning it as selling out, condemning the environmental impacts of it and pretty much every position one might take whenever some newfangled thing turns the status quo on its head.

And here I am, thinking, is it too late to get in now? Do I even want to?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156058 on: March 06, 2021, 07:13:10 am »

So, this Xbox 360 controller, right? I think the batteries that I've put in here aren't very good, since enabling vibration causes it to flash the "battery low" animation, and I have to limit it so that it doesn't end up turning off in the middle of my game. I'm suspecting that the AAs in here are at fault here, since they are carbon-zinc; bad for high-drain applications. Do I need to go straight for lithium/NiMH for these things if I want the full experience?

Also, my hands feel weird after using controller force feedback. I feel like my hands are shaking even though my muscles tell me they're stationary.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156059 on: March 06, 2021, 12:20:36 pm »

Bitcoin in general is now using as much power as, like, Venezuela. The entire thing.

Anyway ... no comment on your predicament.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 10402 10403 [10404] 10405 10406 ... 11039