Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10380 10381 [10382] 10383 10384 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14553765 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155715 on: February 12, 2021, 05:20:47 am »

I don't have access to any shops that would sell pet carriers
A cardboard box can act as one for a bit.

Box works fine. Just make airholes smaller than kitty paws, and use LOTs of tape. You'll find out why when you're in the vehicle. :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155716 on: February 12, 2021, 06:04:53 am »

Kitteh eyes are open.

You should be playing with them now. Dont be aggressive or anything, but having them sit on your chest while you type, or things of that nature. Handling and play at this stage, is important for well socialized adult kitties.  Be sure to give them back to mom during mealtime and naptime but you can hold and gently pet them now.

In another week or so, they should be actively playful.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155717 on: February 12, 2021, 06:47:49 am »

I just want to hug all the cats.gif
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #155718 on: February 12, 2021, 07:32:48 am »

Databend the cat photo.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155719 on: February 12, 2021, 07:35:00 am »

That's sad.  It is not normal to leave your pets over semester break. At least not without getting someone to give them food twice a day while you're away.
If you'd do that over here in the Netherlands, people would call the police. Animal neglect is a criminal offense over here.
Since about 8 years, the law has even been changed for that. It used to be misdemeanor (you'd get fined, but no criminal record), now it's criminal offense punishable with up to a maximum of 2 years in prison for excessively terrible neglect.

Huh. Jot that one down under "cultural differences I'll have to keep in mind if I go to Europe", then. I'm a bit culture-shocked, honestly. Hear me out, though:

The uni's not gonna be completely empty during semester break. There's cleaners, there's essential administrative staff living on campus. It's not totally empty. They just leave food out for the cats to eat, and I know it's something they do every single day. It's more than enough; I've never seen the food bowl empty, even at midnight. Hell, I'm not even feeding Catto myself. She's just eating off what's been provided by one of the staff members. I'm not sure about the kittens, but I know that Catto herself is gonna be perfectly well-fed under the care of the staff here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155720 on: February 12, 2021, 07:48:41 am »

Oh. That is nice. But is not normal to leave your pets alone for extended periods of time. At least if not ilegall is morally questionable in my book.

Ask the staff about the kittens. If you could chip in with some food for them it would help? Cats are fine pets because they are so independent and Im sure the kittens will be fine, however they could also leave the premises to never return, so...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155721 on: February 12, 2021, 08:18:49 am »

You also think better when your brain is cooler, so it's working to make your brain function better when you're trying to stay awake or think better.

I wonder if that means if students tend to do better when learning and taking tests in air-conditioned rooms than fan-cooled rooms, just by virtue of lower temperatures. Now, how'd one test that hypothesis, I don't know.
There's been studies with regard to temperature variance, at least, and while I forget the exact details (there's obviously going to be a lower bound, and complicating factors like length of test or physiological variances, and so on), from what I recall it's been a pretty consistent finding that test scores rise as temperature lowers. Don't consider recall the testing being very complicated, it wouldn't take much more than more or less peer groups testing in different rooms cooled (or warmed) to different temps and comparing average results or whatever. Dunno if they've checked general information retention/learning, though.

Any case, it's basically not controversial that folks' brains work better when they're on the cooler side of whatever's comfortable for them, at this point.

e: Oh, and yeah, it's totally not normal to abandon your pets on campus over a break, not even stateside. Not criminal in most places I'm aware of, but yo' family be lying to you when they say it's normal :P

Now, if they're straight up strays you feed occasionally, that's one thing, but a proper pet you're actively caring for... nuh uh. People be looking at you side eye if you say you just ditch your pets on campus over a month long break or whatev'.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:27:11 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155722 on: February 12, 2021, 08:32:42 am »

Oh ffs I just yawned two times again. How is that possible?!!! You sorceress!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155723 on: February 12, 2021, 09:27:11 am »

Hey, neat trick from the article, though: If you want to drastically reduce the chance of catching a yawn, put an ice pack (or equivalent) to your head. Drops the odds of a yawn to like sub-10%, iirc. One of the things they tried while testing to confirm it's thermoregulation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155724 on: February 12, 2021, 09:40:58 am »

So, deep moral quandaries aside, I was forced convinced to be in a Tiktok video. Fucking hell, I'm not cut out to be a Tiktok person at all. It just reminds me of marching all over again; a long series of large instructions I can't properly execute in the required time.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155725 on: February 12, 2021, 11:37:48 am »

Databend the cat photo.

I'll databend all 3, then. At the original 48MP resolution they were captured at, because I like pain, apparently. Did you know that 8000x6000/6000x8000 pictures in RAW format are 132MB in size each? They're also absurdly long imported as 44.1KHz unsigned 8-bit PCM, 54 minutes and 24 seconds each. I have the PNG "masters" on my disk; these are JPEG, because Imgur won't let me upload 50 meg PNG files for some reason. I'll provide both the original images and the databent ones at full quality on request. Imgur compresses anything above 5MB.

I used Paulstretch at the highest Time Resolution Audacity would allow without modifications (Audacity is 32-bit), accurate to 1 second: 538 seconds. It turns out that if you make Audacity Large Address Aware, you can go even higher. 2352 seconds, in fact. Now, if anyone would like to make (and compile binaries for Windows, x86_64) 64-bit Paulstretch, be my guest. The source code's on GitHub.

Lord, forgive me for what I'm about to do to all your internet connections and probably your computers. These are all at 48MP, compressed to just under 5MB each. These are in order of how the originals were shown.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:48:46 am by methylatedspirit »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155726 on: February 12, 2021, 01:22:24 pm »

*squints*

Yup that's a cat all right. Clear as day.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155727 on: February 12, 2021, 01:29:49 pm »

You can see a faint outline of the eyes and ears of a cat in the first photo, second is incromprehensible, and I think I see a very faint outline of a rabbit's ear of all things in the third photo.

WTF is wrong with my imagination.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155728 on: February 12, 2021, 05:15:29 pm »

The uni's not gonna be completely empty during semester break. There's cleaners, there's essential administrative staff living on campus. It's not totally empty. They just leave food out for the cats to eat, and I know it's something they do every single day. It's more than enough; I've never seen the food bowl empty, even at midnight. Hell, I'm not even feeding Catto myself. She's just eating off what's been provided by one of the staff members. I'm not sure about the kittens, but I know that Catto herself is gonna be perfectly well-fed under the care of the staff here.
Ah. Well yeah, in that case I suppose they'll be fine. Might still want to give a heads-up to the cleaning staff about the kittens though.
Still, it's not a very nice thing to do to leave them alone. You'll miss quality bonding time with the kittens, and that mom cat has adopted you and will be distraught when you are gone.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:17:22 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #155729 on: February 12, 2021, 05:23:41 pm »

The first one is the Cookie Monster, the second one is Kermit T. Frog, and the third one is an OG cacodemon from Doom.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 10380 10381 [10382] 10383 10384 ... 11039