Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10345 10346 [10347] 10348 10349 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14553767 times)

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155190 on: January 13, 2021, 09:58:47 am »

Also, according to the website of the Merriam-Webster dictionary, in Old English, blow was blāwan and bloom was blōwan, so maybe an association was made between the two words or a confusion happened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155191 on: January 13, 2021, 10:09:47 am »

Actually, we call the blade of a sword or knife that way because they resemble the leaf of plants, according to Google.

Old English blæd ‘leaf of a plant’ (also in blade (sense 2 of the noun)), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch blad and German Blatt .

It's this. Also, if you've ever tried to pull the blade off a water read you know grass blades can be sharp as fuck too ;)

She would chomp on fresh greens, though, probably for the same reason cats will nom blades of grass.  To be adorable something about aiding digestion.

Probably the sweet taste. Animals have a habit of liking things that are sweet -- that's why you have to be careful not to leave antifreeze (or is it another dangerous liquid that taste sweet?) out and about around pets.
Love, scriver~

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155192 on: January 13, 2021, 10:17:33 am »

She would chomp on fresh greens, though, probably for the same reason cats will nom blades of grass.  To be adorable something about aiding digestion.

Probably the sweet taste. Animals have a habit of liking things that are sweet -- that's why you have to be careful not to leave antifreeze (or is it another dangerous liquid that taste sweet?) out and about around pets.

It cannot be the reason. Cats can't taste sugar.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155193 on: January 13, 2021, 10:37:26 am »

It cannot be the reason. Cats can't taste sugar.

They can, however, taste ATP; the energy molecule (something like that) inside animal cells. They're so specialized for being carnivorous, that they can literally taste energy in meat, and I think they have a really strong preference for the stuff. Not sure if that means they won't eat plant-based food for nutrition (rather than digestion), but I'd imagine they'd be less willing to eat it than if you showed them meat.

On that note, is there such a thing as artificial ATP flavoring? ATP's fairly complicated; surely it's easy to trick cats into thinking they're eating meat by getting the structure close enough, in the same way artificial sugar tastes like sugar to us by having a close-enough structure.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #155194 on: January 13, 2021, 10:39:22 am »

Antifreeze, yeah. It's glycerol or something, which is a sugar-related substance somehow (hence glyce-).

And I have a slight fear of walking amongst tall reeds because of how sharp the leaves can be. My brother and I once discovered he had a ~7cm cut slashed across his arm while we were navigating a particularly dense piece of swampland. Neither of us noticed it happen, just that at some point he started dripping blood...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #155195 on: January 13, 2021, 11:45:53 am »

Re: relationships

My current one is eh... it involves some sex but it's not the main point of it. A large part of it is platonic.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155196 on: January 13, 2021, 11:50:56 am »

Antifreeze, yeah. It's glycerol or something, which is a sugar-related substance somehow (hence glyce-).

And I have a slight fear of walking amongst tall reeds because of how sharp the leaves can be. My brother and I once discovered he had a ~7cm cut slashed across his arm while we were navigating a particularly dense piece of swampland. Neither of us noticed it happen, just that at some point he started dripping blood...

In Swedish we call reed Vass, literally "sharps"
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155197 on: January 13, 2021, 12:29:10 pm »

Doubleposting for great WTF: Mushroom. In. Your. Blood.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #155198 on: January 13, 2021, 01:09:26 pm »

This profile on quora has to be a bot, right? I just can't imagine someone typing out this many strings of Jewish Man in a Laundromat vs an alternate dimension German pressed attack in the battle of Jutland with a PHD in Gender Studies

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155199 on: January 13, 2021, 01:17:00 pm »

He’s got a thing for outspoken black lesbians.  And Stereotyping jews
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #155200 on: January 13, 2021, 01:23:40 pm »

People *can* be selectively racist. Heck, most racists tend to be very selectively racist and their inconsistencies make everything fall apart even faster than the inconsistencies from racism as a whole do
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155201 on: January 13, 2021, 01:44:53 pm »

Is not the point of most racist to actually be selective? I mean, there are people that actually hate everyone outside their ethnicity?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #155202 on: January 13, 2021, 02:25:34 pm »

He’s got a thing for outspoken black lesbians.  And Stereotyping jews
And Toy Story 4 & Avengers Endgame

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155203 on: January 13, 2021, 02:39:42 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155204 on: January 13, 2021, 02:49:10 pm »

No, just what happens when you stupidly shoot up mycelium straight into what is essentially warmed liquid culture medium. (you know, your blood plasma)

That is to say, white fibers grow all through the vascular system, then infiltrate all the vital organs.

I would say this individual, in addition to being hilariously stupid, also must have had a compromised immune system, because this should have set off a rampant full bod inflammatory reaction, and a high fever, while his body went postal on the invader.

But, who knows what all else this tool had shot up with.
Pages: 1 ... 10345 10346 [10347] 10348 10349 ... 11039