Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10338 10339 [10340] 10341 10342 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14552051 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155085 on: January 08, 2021, 05:16:47 am »

Honestly I've never had the impression anyone seriously considered Pepe a hate symbol or anything. It seemed like alt-right sorta wanted to claim him or something and a lot of out-of-touch-seeming people discovered he existed because of that and assumed that the alt-right were The Proponents of Pepe and everyone else who enjoyed silly Pepe memes just carried on going.

This is sorta a completely different scenario because there's nothing wrong with PogChamp in and of itself as an emote, it's just that "having a Twitch global emote" is considered an accolade of sorts and Twitch didn't want to extend that to a terrorist sympathiser.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155086 on: January 08, 2021, 06:35:19 am »

So I read the Bible from time to time. I am trying to eventually read all of it, but I can only take so much of these ancient Jewish shinanegans at once.

I am currently reading Exodus, and the passage I got to today seems rather crazy. I feel it may be a mistranslation or something.

First the Lord tells Moses to perform miracles before the Pharaoh and that he [Lord] will harden the Pharaoh's heart, so that he [Pharaoh] would not release the Jews.
Then Moses should demand the release of Jews in the Lord's name, or the Lord will kill Pharaoh's firstborn.

However, before Moses even arrives in Egypt, the Lord attacks him and tries to kill him.
So Zephora circumsises her son and declares him her blood groom. Then she does the same to someone else, presumably the Lord.

What is this nonsense? Were ancient Jews insane, or it the translation messed up?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155087 on: January 08, 2021, 06:41:28 am »

What is this nonsense? Were ancient Jews insane, or it the translation messed up?
Why not both?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155088 on: January 08, 2021, 06:55:54 am »

Idle check suggests the best explanation bible scholars have for exodus 4 is that parts of it are just missing, for what it's worth. The bridegroom of blood bit is apparently supposed to refer to circumcision, which, uh. Does absolutely nothing to make that particular verse make more sense.

I seem to vaguely recall the hardened heart bit got more odd when early bible thumpers or somethin' like that retconned the OT to be monotheistic. Iirc there's a few parts where there's indication/evidence/whatever that someone went and changed references to other gods to only talk about the one, leading to weird shit like that part.

So yeah, some insanity (or just being high as hell off something), some preservation/translation issues. Both is a legitimate answer.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155089 on: January 08, 2021, 07:01:58 am »

So.

I saw the news about the yet-to-be-aired new children's television show from Denmark, called John Dillermand.

Due to forum rules, I cannot provide a link, but I read about it on CNN's website.

I think it belongs in this thread.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #155090 on: January 08, 2021, 07:03:05 am »

If I remember correctly yes, in some older manuscripts it's something like "Ra hardened the Pharoah's heart", but I don't remember precisely. It's a very very old bit of text.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155091 on: January 08, 2021, 07:06:42 am »

If I remember correctly yes, in some older manuscripts it's something like "Ra hardened the Pharoah's heart", but I don't remember precisely. It's a very very old bit of text.

That would make significantly more sense, yes.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155092 on: January 08, 2021, 07:28:06 am »

That would make significantly more sense, yes.

Oh, it is even stranger, when you think about how the OT says that all kings serve at god's will.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155093 on: January 08, 2021, 10:21:10 am »

Beyond the Binary: A Queer Take on Gendered Japanese

Intended for a general audience.

I wouldn’t say it’s for a general audience, considering it contains both untranscibed hiragana/katakana and some (pretty basic I’m sure) kanji. You need to have studied/study japanese to read that article. :/

Thank you for the caveat, I read it a few days ago and didn't remember those things/reread it when I linked. I was trying to imply that it wasn't some kind of dense academic paper, due to the very formal title.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155094 on: January 08, 2021, 11:57:27 am »

So.

I saw the news about the yet-to-be-aired new children's television show from Denmark, called John Dillermand.

Due to forum rules, I cannot provide a link, but I read about it on CNN's website.

WHAT THE ACTUALL FUCCKKK

How can something like this even left the discussion board room? I mean, if is a Adult Swim kinda cartoon for adults, yeah, it might be funny if well done, some poorer and/or tackiest cartoons have had success. But aimed for children? What is the point of a cartoon character using his penis to do stuff in a children cartoon?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #155095 on: January 08, 2021, 01:47:58 pm »

So.

WHAT THE ACTUALL FUCCKKK

How can something like this even left the discussion board room? I mean, if is a Adult Swim kinda cartoon for adults, yeah, it might be funny if well done, some poorer and/or tackiest cartoons have had success. But aimed for children? What is the point of a cartoon character using his penis to do stuff in a children cartoon?
Doing stuff with your penis could be a matter of life and death if you become a quadruple amputee. That show teaches important life skills.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155096 on: January 08, 2021, 01:54:38 pm »

Its a goofy premise about a goofy character who has to learn to deal with his unbridled hormones.

Like, private parts are funny just by their nature.
So is goofy hijinks.

Tastefully handled, it'll just be a pet dog or haunting ghost or something.  It doesnt have to do anything obtuse or overt to be a reference to how our bodies change over time and we have to check our changing emotions and confront the need for social norms while still being accommodating to those who have divergences from that norm.

There's a certain amount of maturity and grace this show can take.  What if wallace and gromit, but dicks?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155097 on: January 08, 2021, 06:27:35 pm »

There's a certain amount of maturity and grace this show can take.

But it's Danish.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155098 on: January 08, 2021, 07:08:05 pm »

I dunno why, but Catto and Big Catto (which is a longer version of Catto, also male) keep sleeping in the toilets in my dorm. Catto goes for my preferred bathroom stall, while Big Catto goes for the nearest sink next to said stall. I can't tell if this is an odd form of cat love, or if they're just being pragmatic by going to the place furthest away from the outside.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155099 on: January 08, 2021, 07:12:37 pm »

they let you have cats in dorms now?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 10338 10339 [10340] 10341 10342 ... 11039