Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10282 10283 [10284] 10285 10286 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528585 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154245 on: November 09, 2020, 01:00:26 am »

Are you a Disney princess?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154246 on: November 09, 2020, 01:15:37 am »

I know this might be difficult to accept, but: you smell like fish. Everyone knows.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154247 on: November 09, 2020, 01:20:19 am »

Are you a Disney princess?
There's survivorship bias there. I count 6 cats within my campus, and I've only gotten 1 of them to like me. A 17% success rate, probably worse if my sample size was larger. The others... their reactions range from running away when I approach them to sorta-but-not-quite liking me. I chalk it up to luck.

I know this might be difficult to accept, but: you smell like fish. Everyone knows.
Dang it. No wonder I'm a pussy magnet.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154248 on: November 09, 2020, 02:00:47 am »

I am not sure why there would be a lock that can be forced open with a credit card. The way any door lock I saw works, it is a ~5mm thick steel plate that slides into a slot in the door frame.

Those locks do exist, they're ones with a triangular bolt (cylindrical but with a cut out making a triangular silouhette), and it's only lightly springed so you can push something up the inside and push the bolt in. Usually, you only see those on interior doors, but if they were on an exterior door it would likely be the back door into a kitchen or something.

This sort of one:

Notice how the bolt isn't straight, but there's a curve. The inner side of the bolt is flush with the door, so you pull the card up and at an angle and you can push the bolt in that way. These things make sense for example for a bathroom door, however if they've been used on an exterior door someone did something very wrong.

Oh, we have that on handles. It just stops the door from opening on its own. Though it tends to be protected by the shape of the door and door frame, so you actually need to use the handle.
Edit: well similar, not the same. It is not a cut out cylinder. But if the door and frame were just straight, it could be opened with a strip of rigid material from one side.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 02:03:10 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154249 on: November 09, 2020, 05:51:08 am »

I seem to have accidentally adopted a cat emergency protein for the lock down.
Either that or you are her emergency ration.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154250 on: November 09, 2020, 06:19:23 am »

EDIT for Zultan:
I don't have picks yet so I'm just raking with paperclips and it took less than 10 minutes to pop a crappy padlock.
I've been meaning to try that forever but haven't, looks like I need to stop procrastinating the shit out of stuff and just do it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154251 on: November 09, 2020, 07:07:47 am »

An assignment for my Data Visualization course wants me to screenshot my results in Excel, put it into Word, then save as PDF. The fuck? How would my lecturer know that I'm not just bullshitting my way through it and manually counting the things she wants me to count, then filling in the values instead of actual formulas? Wouldn't she want to verify that I'm not pulling that sort of bullshit? Examples of suggested answers are given, but what's stopping me from doing funny things with the spreadsheet?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154252 on: November 09, 2020, 07:23:58 am »

An assignment for my Data Visualization course wants me to screenshot my results in Excel, put it into Word, then save as PDF. The fuck? How would my lecturer know that I'm not just bullshitting my way through it and manually counting the things she wants me to count, then filling in the values instead of actual formulas? Wouldn't she want to verify that I'm not pulling that sort of bullshit? Examples of suggested answers are given, but what's stopping me from doing funny things with the spreadsheet?
Perhaps doing it manualy would be more difficult. Either because there is a lot of it, or they are complex calculations.

The real question is, why not just export .pdf straight out Excel.
Edit: Or copy-paste out of excel into word if you need to write something else into the file too. That would make more sense than printscreen.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:28:49 am by Mathel »
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154253 on: November 09, 2020, 07:43:18 am »

Perhaps doing it manualy would be more difficult. Either because there is a lot of it, or they are complex calculations.

It's fairly easy. Basically, they give you a list of 12 students, along with their test marks, age, gender. You're asked to determine the following:
a) Their grade (Pass/Fail) according to a fixed number
b) The status of their marks (Above average/Below average)
c) The number of male/female students, number of passes/fails, and how many got above average/below average.

Later, you're supposed to plot some charts (pie and bar) of the student statistics (male/female, above/below average, pass/fail). Then, you give your opinion on if the pie charts or the bar charts are better. Me... there's only 2 categories per chart, so... both are fine, but I have a bias against pie charts, so bar charts?

9-year-old me could've done the first part manually, and he probably would've. Dude didn't know the first thing about how Excel formulas worked.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:48:08 am by methylatedspirit »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154254 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:04 am »

Yeah, that is easy. And 9-year old me would be able to do it on paper too. But he did not even know of excel. Possibly of OpenOffice Calc.
The plots no, of course. Again, no knowlege of them.

I still find the printscreen worse than the easy assignment. Printscreen turns whatever you got into an image. This means two things. First, you obviously lose any additionaly data you had, such as formulae.
But second, you bloat the data that you keep.
You see, the formulae, numbers, or text are kept as RTF (rich text format).
But the moment you printscreen it, you just keep an image.

I assume there is some amount of compression, as it would presumably be the like of .png (that is what my printscreen produces), but it is likely still larger than if the same amount of data was in a spreadsheet with formulae.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154255 on: November 09, 2020, 12:42:26 pm »

printscreen data is technically uncompressed DIB data, until it gets embedded into some application's memory.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154256 on: November 09, 2020, 12:52:20 pm »

So a man just got shot in front of my building, most probably a neighbour. It was a drive-by it looks like.
Side note here, my building is right between two police stations (the city one and the regional one), like, a stones throw separates them.
What the actual fuck
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154257 on: November 09, 2020, 01:06:08 pm »

Do you live in District 13?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154258 on: November 09, 2020, 01:20:36 pm »

Not that I know of :V

Also the guy is dead.

Also also the possible murderer is already being talked about, he's got a history of murder and jail time. Most certainly a hit job.

Fucking hell
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154259 on: November 09, 2020, 02:34:17 pm »

printscreen data is technically uncompressed DIB data, until it gets embedded into some application's memory.
OK, I did not know that. But word will probably still compress it into something more sensible.
Pages: 1 ... 10282 10283 [10284] 10285 10286 ... 11037