Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10260 10261 [10262] 10263 10264 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14521342 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153915 on: October 12, 2020, 09:37:54 am »

Since you have access to "Boiling hot water" (ahem), that's enough to make "Poached eggs" (ahem) using powdered egg.  It wont be terribly delicious, but it is a shelf-stable protein source. It would make a good addition to some forms of Ramen, or other instant food items.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153916 on: October 12, 2020, 09:39:24 am »

Yeah, a major concern when it comes to preserved food is keeping sugar and sodium intake down and micronutrients/protein/fat up. Always read the nutritional labels.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153917 on: October 12, 2020, 09:54:52 am »

Egg powder is useful for making scrambled egg, and such. It is also great for baking. (Because you can add the egg powder to the dry ingredients and blend completely, then *ALSO* add applesauce in place of the water used to reconstitute the eggs.  This makes for some crazy moist cakes.)

However, since you lack an oven, or anything else that you could use to that effect, I would suggest that you pretend you are making egg drop soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zkq4CJ-1A

Just use the reconstituted powdered egg in place of a fresh egg, and use the bitchin' hot water from the commercial coffee machine.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153918 on: October 12, 2020, 09:56:34 am »

Prepare for yourself if you're worried, but it'll be your relationship with the people around you that'll determine whether this experience is one of the best of your life or merely boring and frustrating (either way it'll be a more impactful experience than staying home). It already sounds like you're handling it very well by getting out there and talking with people; remember how things turned around completely after just talking with that guy who happened to have a car.

People tend to come together naturally in a crisis, and there's no amount of personal preparing you can do that compares to having a group of people in the same boat with different experiences, personal skills, and points of view (who at the very least can inform your decisions better and give more real peace of mind than random people on the internet).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153919 on: October 12, 2020, 09:58:18 am »

If you could get even a coffe maker with some creativity you could use it to boil eggs (natural ones wich I know, powdered ones are a mistery to me) and even make pasta. But would also depend on the model and how it works so is no safe bet.

Also dont forget to have protection for sex, as always, just in case the chance arise.

Oh I remember now! Candy, chocolate, cookies, have all that kind of tasty treats as your budget allow, the mental part is important too.

Speaking about mental, per WealthyRadish having a friend or at least people to rely on is the fundation of civilization (and not agriculture, in my opinion). While Im not a very gregarius and tend to do anything I need by myself that is not for everyone and even old  grumpy bastards like me enjoy company, in my case, my wife and kid.

Having people with different skills on your group lessen your own burden as long everyone is a good sport, which is something you should expect but also be prepared in case is not like that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:07:38 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153920 on: October 12, 2020, 10:04:25 am »

@baal

Powdered egg is just normal eggs that have been dried out in a food dehydrator, then crushed up into a really fine powder (about like wheat flour consistency)

If you use a good lightproof and airtight storage container, a bag of egg that size is equivalent to ~5 dozen eggs.

I received several small bags of the stuff from a co-worker during the last shutdown.  Her mom had it given to her through a food assistance program for the elderly, and her mom had no idea how to use it, nor did she.  I cabbaged them puppies up.  I use it at work to make baked goods without having to keep a carton of eggs (with an expiration date of about a week), since the powder has a shelf life measured in YEARS.  Made several batches of banana bread, and most recently, some spice cake using the old recipes in my old DoubleDay cookbook set. (which I discretely have disguised as decorations over in the Assisted Living side of the building. Being artifacts of the 30s and 40s, they fit right in.)

Further silly---

It might be possible to "boil" such egg as well, but it will be NOTHING like boiled egg.
You would need one of these silly things-- and would need to keep it submerged in the "boiling hot" water for approximately 5 to 10 minutes. (It will probably need a change of water, since the water will likely cool.  Perhaps using a wide mouth thermos or other thermally insulated container for the hot water will allow it to work with a single change.)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:21:07 am by wierd »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153921 on: October 12, 2020, 10:20:09 am »

Wow... they seem awfull, and eggs, at least here, last good up for weeks, not a single week. I think in the USA the goverment force the egg producers to wash the eggs and remove some natural protection they have, it migth be that? Honestly a little chicken shit on the egg shell is rather common and nothing a prewash or breaking the egg careful cant solve.

Now, as you said, it does sound nice as baking ingredient, but not to eat directly.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153922 on: October 12, 2020, 10:24:00 am »

That's not the problem.  The problem is "State regulations" concerning perishable food items, and refrigerators.  Food cannot stay in the refrigerator for more than 1 week. Leftovers cannot sit for more then 3 days in the refrigerator.  We are required by law to discard after that period of time.

Non-perishable items need to be used within 1 month of opening (but can remain unopened until their "best used by" date, which for dry eggs, is YEARS.)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153923 on: October 12, 2020, 10:25:26 am »

(eggs still last weeks, we just keep them in the fridge.)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153924 on: October 12, 2020, 10:27:46 am »

I know it migth not be the case, but I just imagined a Food Police on a raid on people fridges asking them if that piece of grilled chicken breast has more than 3 days in there and forcing you to make a sandwich rigth there or getting your ass in jail.

Just a unwashed savage opinion hahahaha
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:32:12 am by LordBaal »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153925 on: October 12, 2020, 10:34:50 am »

No nono--

I work in a nursing home.  We get "State Inspectors"

The perishable food regulations apply to adult care facilities and other such skilled nursing facilities.  We can't hang on to food just because it hasn't officially gone bad.  It's the wastefulness of bureaucrats in action.

It would cost me a small fortune to buy eggs every week, (and then not use them all up, or HAVE to use them all up to avoid tossing them), just to be able to make cake and banana bread when the mood strikes, and I am assigned to an appropriate nursing unit.  (Halls 2 and 5 have small kitchenettes that I can make use of.)

I actually have SIMILAR restrictions at work, but because of fire hazard risks.  We have a microwave, 2 electric ovens in the units I mentioned, and industrial coffee pots (so I have the hot water the same exact way as our curious college student does.)  Electric fry tops are considered too dangerous to have in the building.  As such, any kind of food I prep at work, has to be baked. (or microwaved, or "boiled")

I could totally order those fake egg containers, and test them out with the powdered egg I have---
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:40:51 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153926 on: October 12, 2020, 11:16:09 am »

Nah, state inspectors are like literally the only thing standing between us and only eating hormone-poisoned old race horse and last week's ground meat. It's the thankless job that is the difference between civilization and savagery.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153927 on: October 12, 2020, 12:54:09 pm »

Law and Order: Fridge Unit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153928 on: October 12, 2020, 12:55:55 pm »

You have literally no idea. There's a reason restaurant food/health inspectors tend to not eat out.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153929 on: October 12, 2020, 01:09:46 pm »

... powdered egg sounds like something I should look into, especially if you can easily bake with it. Eggs are kind of annoying to cook with in egg form, and what egging I do tends to be scrambled or cooked into something*, so...

*Super easy eggy rice: Cook rice normally, but in the last two minutes or so just crack open a couple eggs and mix them in to the cooking rice and let the rice finish cooking. Quick, simple, easy, pretty tasty.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10260 10261 [10262] 10263 10264 ... 11037