Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10259 10260 [10261] 10262 10263 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520805 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153900 on: October 12, 2020, 05:41:11 am »

Lockdown is going to be reinstated in 2 days in my home state. Now, I'm in a different state that isn't implicated in the lockdown, so for the time being, I can stay here, or I can have my parents pick me up. I'm not sure what to do. Like, I enjoy the complete freedom here (as terrible as I am at actually doing life things), but if the lockdown is later updated to include my current state, I'm boned. There's also the part where I'm terrible at actually living (especially at finding food) to consider. What do? Are there options I'm not seeing here?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153901 on: October 12, 2020, 06:01:09 am »

First of all, about the bring terrible at living and finding food and stuff. There are many college dorm survivors here on the forums. We will pool their knowledge and answers any questions you might have, even the ones you are ashamed to ask ;)

Secondly, about lockdown. Surely complete lockdown has exceptions for people who have to get back to their homes? Regardless there must be some college authority that can provide you with information about this. Someone more familiar with the American colleges might be more informative about that though.

Thirdly, are you planning to do the thing from the other thread yesterday? If you want help with what yo write we can talk it through and then run it by some of the less socially awkward people of the forum so it's not completely awful. I think a lot of the fresh students are feeling like you right now and it would probably help to try go get to know some of those who have already been there for some time.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153902 on: October 12, 2020, 07:20:13 am »

Someone said surviving?  :P

Rigth now I have both power, intenet AND data coverage on my phone (the planets must be aligned). Shoot any questions here or over pm if you like.

But first consider. What you have at hand? Which facilities, you have a place to cook? To store your food? To wash your clothes?

Also remember to stock up toothpaste, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, detergent. It is easier if you have an stimated of your weekly, monthly comsuption of those things.

Any medicine you take regulary? Insuline? Along with regular stuff like paracetamol and such.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:28:54 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153903 on: October 12, 2020, 07:20:23 am »

Finding food can be hard this time of year. I recommend you ask experienced foragers in your tribal band for help identifying edible bark and roots. You should also keep an eye out for small fauna, which often grow less cautious as they must go to greater lengths to feed themselves. However, remember to keep your sharpened stick on hand, as I do not think you are ready to face anything larger than a squirrel hand-to-paw yet.

If you are lucky you may also be able to find mast around this time, depending on your local environment. However, masting takes place on an irregular schedule and cannot be relied on from year to year.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #153904 on: October 12, 2020, 07:35:42 am »

I almost made a joke about wierd teaching meth to grow plants in kiddie pools but you guys were already there.

I spent a winter in isolation when at uni, meth. Food was available in the form of an hour trudge through snow. It was fine, but not particularly stimulating. If in lockdown, I presume it would be similar. Boring, but quiet. I'd suggest heading back if you're just doing lessons online and think it's likely the place will get locked down as well. I, of course, don't know your home situation, though.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #153905 on: October 12, 2020, 07:43:10 am »

For some reason when you typed "meth" I thought you were referring to the drug and had to re-read your post several times because it made zero sense.

Then I realized it's short for "methylatedspirit" instead of "methamphetamine"...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153906 on: October 12, 2020, 07:44:27 am »

For some reason when you typed "meth" I thought you were referring to the drug and had to re-read your post several times because it made zero sense.

Then I realized it's short for "methylatedspirit" instead of "methamphetamine"...

Bwahaha, same... At first I thought I might have wandered into the dream thread by mistake

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #153907 on: October 12, 2020, 07:49:34 am »

I admit, on second reading, the wording is pretty awkward.

Anyway, stay in your dorm and make meth, I think that was my point.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153908 on: October 12, 2020, 08:38:39 am »

Oh I was not joking. Delps advice is sounder and easier all around but only meth knows... maybe some lab or presencial classes?

By all means if being home will be easier for you all around just head there.

If you really want to stay then stay but in case of lockdown your newfound freedom will be cut short anyway, so it migth not be worthy after all.

Oh also I forgot to tell you the very first thing you should take in consideration, your budget. Start by making one out.

In my case the would be expenses are generally larger than the budget, then you have to call in which things will be cut, what is not absolutly essencial to keep your methabolic functions going.

In the case you actually have a surpluss after all the needs are covered, then depending on the size it will go out all for savings or you could even split it on fun money and savings.

Whatever you decide just use your head.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:45:21 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153909 on: October 12, 2020, 08:52:32 am »

Garden plants in kiddie pools only works in a place you own and control.

Ideally, you should have listened way earlier in the year, and stocked up on supplies, and gotten everything ready for the cold weather months.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153910 on: October 12, 2020, 08:54:26 am »

Secondly, about lockdown. Surely complete lockdown has exceptions for people who have to get back to their homes? Regardless there must be some college authority that can provide you with information about this. Someone more familiar with the American colleges might be more informative about that though.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I don't live in the US.

About that... last time lockdown happened, my sister (a college student) had only two options: stay or get out in one day.  If you couldn't get out (which unfortunately happened to some of her friends), you had to stay your ass in that campus until lockdown ended. And since it's a total lockdown, the canteens and the usual food-places were all closed or operating at minimal capacity. People had to step in and give food to those stranded students until the government said "nope" and put an end to that. Gov did give food, but you know how it is, it's a bit slow, and you probably have to know people, so on, and so forth. Those were not good times.

Both my parents are doctors, so they can say that they are essential workers and they need to do so-and-so, and cross state borders, but I'd rather not do that.

Quote from: scriver
Thirdly, are you planning to do the thing from the other thread yesterday? If you want help with what yo write we can talk it through and then run it by some of the less socially awkward people of the forum so it's not completely awful. I think a lot of the fresh students are feeling like you right now and it would probably help to try go get to know some of those who have already been there for some time.

I mean, I stumbled across a group of guys today, and they told me that I could just ask to enter someone's room, and usually, they'll either let you in (and you can make conversation with them) or they'll just say that they're busy or something. That's apparently a normal thing. Those guys met by doing that, which is probably a testament to how effective that strat is. My intuition says to do that after 6 pm or so, since that's a time where people are almost certainly not busy with classes.

Speaking of asking to enter stranger's rooms, I did that once today, and I managed to acquaint myself with a dude who has a car. Eventually the conversation went on, and I managed to a) go somewhere out of campus and have dinner, and b) stock up on enough instant ramen to last 3 - 4 weeks assuming no additional food. That is some incredibly good luck and execution. I don't even know how I managed to do it. I thought I'd weird him out in the first few minutes, or like, eventually, but that didn't happen.

I spent a winter in isolation when at uni, meth. Food was available in the form of an hour trudge through snow. It was fine, but not particularly stimulating. If in lockdown, I presume it would be similar. Boring, but quiet. I'd suggest heading back if you're just doing lessons online and think it's likely the place will get locked down as well. I, of course, don't know your home situation, though.

Thing is, this is literally the first time I'm living alone. I want to have the training to live alone, because later on, I'm going to have to live like this too. And if I screw up, I'd rather screw up now than screw up later.

Home situation... my parents aren't terrible by any means, I'd say they're actually good. Just massively homophobic (and it's for religious reasons, too, and they're devout). They wouldn't listen if I tried, and it would be an incredibly dangerous thing to come out to them. It's one thing to be homophobic for secular reasons, but if the reasons are religious...  I am not fucking touching that.

Oh also I forgot to tell you the very first thing you should take in consideration, your budget. Start by making one out.

In my case the would be expenses are generally larger than the budget, then you have to call in which things will be cut, what is not absolutly essencial to keep your methabolic functions going.

In the case you actually have a surpluss after all the needs are covered, then depending on the size it will go out all for savings or you could even split it on fun money and savings.

Budget-wise, even if I ate at the canteen for all 3 meals (which isn't actually possible; COVID makes businesses open for short periods of time), I should be fine. My expenses do not exceed my allowance in the worst-case scenario, and for now, I can rely on my stocks of instant ramen to make up for the times I can't eat out.

Thankfully, I have an ATM card compatible with the ATMs on campus. My parents are willing to send me more money into my bank account if I run out, so as far as money goes, it's not a huge concern. If anything, that's one of the lowest.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153911 on: October 12, 2020, 09:05:52 am »

Oh a healthy budget is a blessing and gives you more room to breathe. If you really, really want to do this sit down and try to make estimates of all the things I told you before, against how long the lockdown migth last (how long it lasted last time is a good indicator) and try to stock up on the things you will need.

From what you wrote it seems you will have to rely on cooking yourself at some point. Are you allowed to have electric apliances on your room? A blender, microwave, rice maker, a small fridge.. those kind of things. I mean you could survive on instan ramen for months but it would not be pleasant or healthy.

If you are really willing, you got this son, you can do it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153912 on: October 12, 2020, 09:17:37 am »

From what you wrote it seems you will have to rely on cooking yourself at some point. Are you allowed to have electric apliances on your room? A blender, microwave, rice maker, a small fridge.. those kind of things. I mean you could survive on instan ramen for months but it would not be pleasant or healthy.

I believe cooking appliances are not allowed. They consume too much power, and considering what teenagers (that barely qualify as young adults) do when given freedom and any of those appliances, that's probably for the best. Not even a kettle, though there is a water cooler right outside my room that supplies piping-hot water, so at least I can get hot water there, put ramen in the container and let it cook. It's not ideal, but it'll do. No fridge, either (again, too much power), so any food I have better be non-perishable.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153913 on: October 12, 2020, 09:33:55 am »

I would invest in dried vegetables and some form of preserved protein/fat source. Then invest in a hot-water resistant bowl or three, and you:'ll be able to do impromptu boiling water-based cooking. A strainer may help, depending on what you're making.

Other ideas - instant porridge, shelf-stable indian food packets.

Alternatively, just buy an induction hotplate and hide it. They're pretty small.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153914 on: October 12, 2020, 09:35:36 am »

Oh that dimishes the options considerably. Canned and dry food is the way to go. Crackers, canned meat and fish, vegetables and such. Maybe some bread and cheese/jam for the first week. Also fruit jam (mermelade) which lasts A LOT as long you keep it clean (no double dip and use only clean cluttery to take it out of the container).

Try to pick things low on sodium which canned food tend to have a lot of.

For beverages it seems powdered milk and "fruit" juices (tang, kool-aid like stuff) are the way.  I would also add tea. Is the water supply constant? Is is clean? Is a dispenser that works with the pipe or one with the big bottle on top?

Would you be able to rely on it all the time? If is a bottled one is doubtfull. You can go some days with no food but without water you wont. At any rate I would advice you to buy some bottle water. A couple of 5 or even 18 litters containers as an emergency back up if water or power fails sometimes.

Going back to beverages, try to also have some gatorade or poweraid and keep them in case you need rehidratation if you get the runs (diarrea) out of canned food. There is also the option of real rehidratation beverages but those dont taste so good in most cases and probably are expensier there too.

Speaking of which try to keep a few things of the basic medicine, in case of headaches or fever I recommend paracetamol over ibuprofene (advil) because is safer, I known this because... well things and stuffs. You will need some hiocene(dont know if that is how is written in english) for stomachaches and something to stop diarrea too. Aspirins  alka-selzer and any other assorte basic stuff. Also alcohol, cotton balls, swabs and some suture just in case, but the last could be spared if you are confident in having a medical station open, staffed and well equiped nearby, trust me that IS a blessing.

I think there was more but I cant remember rigth now.

EDIT: Actually I edited the post like 3 times now, but ask what kind, if any, apliances you migth use. Maybe under lock down circunstances they would be more flexible?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:45:25 am by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 10259 10260 [10261] 10262 10263 ... 11037