Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10230 10231 [10232] 10233 10234 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14525459 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153465 on: September 04, 2020, 05:16:33 pm »

What? I can't keep up with reality.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/jessica-krug-george-washington-university-professor-reveals-she-pretended-to-be-black/news-story/bc015bef818d6e0f21fa16d86a6dab28

Jessica Krug: George Washington University professor reveals she pretended to be black

A professor of African-American history has revealed she pretended to be black her entire career in a shocking confessional blog post.

A white professor in the US has revealed she pretended to be black during her entire career and has branded herself a “culture leech” in a confessional blog post.
Ms Krug is the author of a book, Fugitive Modernities, which begins with a tribute to her “ancestors … whether in my barrio, in Angola, or in Brazil.”

She is publishing a second book, Fathers of No Nation about the “politics of authority” in the Carribbean and has written on hip hop, politics, and gender in both Angola and New York City, according to her university biography.

She has also reportedly taken financial support from the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, according to The Guardian.

The bizarre confession is reminiscent of the case of Rachel Dolezal who had changed her name to Nkechi Diallo and worked as the former leader of the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP).

However she was later exposed as a white woman pretending to be black and was charged with welfare fraud, perjury and false verification for public assistance.

I just got out of bed before reading this and had to think for a bit to remember what other story it reminded me of:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/metoostem-founder-admits-to-creating-twitter-persona-who-died-of-covid-19/
BethAnn McLaughlin invented @Sciencing_Bi, a Hopi anthropologist who died of COVID-19.

People will always go where the social capital is. It's still better than the right by a mile, where the fakery is to pretend to be a God-loving racist when you're really a nihilistic fuck who despises everyone equally.

I wonder how they did it. Pretending to have skin of different color must be rather difficult. Especially if you are a university professor and have to teach some people in person.

For a pink person to pretend to be brown or black, they would have to:

Nah, Americans still practice One Drop Of Blood culture. As long as you are a single drop of non-European blood they consider you 100% black. It leads to very ridiculous situations.

B) Paint themselves daily

Granted, a lot of women do this everyday
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153466 on: September 05, 2020, 03:35:23 am »

I got called an incel by a gal I was seeing.

Because I openly cared about her well-being and told her that she was a better person than she gave herself credit for.

After only having known her for two weeks.

During which time, we'd had sex.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153467 on: September 05, 2020, 03:58:03 am »

I dont know the details but just in case I'd socially-distance myself from her
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153468 on: September 05, 2020, 04:19:23 am »

What kind of incel cares about women like that? All the incels I've seen don't actually care about (or are actively hostile towards the concept of) women as people. As far as I know, they want to have sex, but they go about it in such a fundamentally wrong way that they have a resentment towards women in general. It's a very high insult to call someone an incel, at least in my book.

Talk about trivializing an insult. I know nothing here, but I guess do what ChairmanPoo is recommending.

(Also, "incel"? That sounds like poor word choice if she meant it. Should've gone for "simp".)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153469 on: September 05, 2020, 04:28:29 am »

Look people in general are not good. Not men, not women. If someone starts acting toxic and threatening you should cut that person off, whether man or woman.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153470 on: September 05, 2020, 05:12:59 am »

Oh wondrous, a fellow misanthrope!

I agree, on the average, humanity has serious personality issues.  If the person is acting toxic, you should not subject yourself to it unless absolutely necessary.

(I deal with enough shit at work, and I dont want to deal with more after work.  You should take a similar mindset I think Methyl. Dont get me wrong with this though; It is not meant to mean you should not be a caring and outgoing person-- Just that you should not be a doormat for people to wipe their filth on, and treat like garbage.)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #153471 on: September 05, 2020, 06:07:21 am »

Could be she was using it jokingly, depends on how it was delivered to Kagus. Definitely some wires crossed thinking "incel" means "sensitive guy" and not misogynist.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153472 on: September 05, 2020, 06:11:24 am »

I think she was either taking the piss or isn't quite sure what "incel" means.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153473 on: September 05, 2020, 06:25:34 am »

Yeah, sounds like the insult she was after was "cuck" or something related, but the irony there is that the term cuck is itself a manosphere term.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153474 on: September 05, 2020, 07:03:54 am »

Some people can have such a low self esteem of themselves that they view being told they're actually nice as a blatant lie.
Often stems from serious neglect and or abuse in childhood.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153475 on: September 05, 2020, 07:41:07 am »

That might make sense, see "nice guy syndrome". The reasoning is that guys are nice only to get in the girl's pants, therefore any "nice guy" is in fact an incel type. Not my reasoning, just going with the logic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153476 on: September 05, 2020, 08:12:25 am »

It definitely does sound like 'simp' was more what she was going for.   
Not sure how you'd go about advising her of that, though... saying "I'm not an incel, I'm a simp!" doesn't really seem all that helpful. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153477 on: September 05, 2020, 08:50:16 am »

I think she knew perfectly what she was saying, and it was calculated not for accuracy but for social damage (as in, labelling Kagus as some kind of mysoginist is an effective way to potentially ostracize him)

Some people are just shits.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153478 on: September 05, 2020, 09:34:45 am »

I got called an incel by a gal I was seeing.

Because I openly cared about her well-being and told her that she was a better person than she gave herself credit for.

After only having known her for two weeks.

During which time, we'd had sex.

Hopefully it works out with the next person you find. It sounds like you're at least being a decent person.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153479 on: September 05, 2020, 09:38:18 am »

i think she means 'youre a nerd'.  like a joke?  hahahaa
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10230 10231 [10232] 10233 10234 ... 11037