Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10226 10227 [10228] 10229 10230 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14525605 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153405 on: September 02, 2020, 01:20:02 pm »

It should be represented as a part of Columbia. It is a district of that, after all.
I... think that was a joke?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153406 on: September 02, 2020, 01:40:28 pm »

It should be represented as a part of Columbia. It is a district of that, after all.
I... think that was a joke?
Was not meant that way. Washington District of Columbia is the name.

But I thought there was a state called Columbia in USA. Instead, there are a bunch of such cities. So they could fuse it into Maryland instead.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153407 on: September 02, 2020, 01:48:47 pm »

Was not meant that way. Washington District of Columbia is the name.

But I thought there was a state called Columbia in USA. Instead, there are a bunch of such cities. So they could fuse it into Maryland instead.
Okay, then no, there is no state called Columbia. Rather, Columbia is the name of the Federal District which constitutes the capital of the Federation and is not part of any state, "DC", and Washington is the city in and occupying the entirety of the District of Columbia. So "Washington, DC" is like "Paris, France" if there were no other France that wasn't Paris.

Anyway, it can't be made a state or part of a state, because Article One of the United States Constitution places it under the exclusive control of Congress as the home base of the Federal government.

However, Congress could arguably cede DC to Colombia, if you want to unite it with a polity of the same name.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #153408 on: September 02, 2020, 03:11:28 pm »

It was a little bit shitty. The main reason for the taxes was because Britain had in fact incurred large expenses fighting against the French in North America, to defend said colonies. The stamp tax was enacted to try and pay down the debts incurred.

The conflict in North America was a tiny part of the Seven Years War, and cost the Empire very little compared to the great naval fights and the fighting in Europe. The entire French And Indian War (all sides) claimed around 20,000 lives, with maybe 40,000 wounded. British 7YW casualties topped 130,000, with the Royal Navy alone having over 60,000 dead. There was no great need to take the cost of the war from the colonies - the end of French power in India would pay the cost thousands of times over.

There was some desire to make the colonies pay for the upkeep of the token garrison and defense fleet stationed to defend the colonies, but the taxes far exceeded that. The primary purpose was to reverse the long decay of the draconian trade restrictions that had occured under Pitt The Elder and reafirrm Brotish control. The taxes corresponded with great pressure on Admiral Howe to crack down on smugglers, and eventuallly a "it is illegal for anyone other than the East India Company to import tea to the colonies" order.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153409 on: September 02, 2020, 09:44:36 pm »

Just felt what seemed to be an itch or a build-up of earwax in my ear, causing mild discomfort. Nothing unusual, right?   
However, when I plunged my pinkie in to deal with the problem, the earwax - for earwax indeed it was - came out in one big clump of dark, orange-y brown goop, stuck to the tip of my finger. It bore a startling resemblance to the sultanas I had been eating in my breakfast just prior to this discovery.   
I was of course, amazed, rushing to get photos on the nearest working camera. I am unsure if any of them turned out very well, but if they did perhaps I will post them in the Photo Share thread at some point when I retrieve them.   

It kind of reminded me of that one time I went to clean my belly button, discovered some hard object in there that felt like a small piece of gravel or something, then after much effort managed to extract what turned out to be a solidified, foul-smelling lump of... I don't know, belly button stuff.   
That made more sense, though, since I don't clean my belly button nearly as often as I should. My ears, though? Admittedly I haven't been cleaning them as often lately since my hearing aids are out of action and so I don't have them causing additional wax buildup, but I clean them thoroughly whenever I bathe and sometimes on other occasions.   
Wild.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153410 on: September 02, 2020, 10:05:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:39:03 am by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153411 on: September 02, 2020, 11:32:52 pm »

Well, now I’m curious what an earwax candle would smell like

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153412 on: September 03, 2020, 12:08:04 am »

I've been having trouble with my left ear wax lately too. It's pretty runny and smells not-like-my-earwax-usually-smells in a sort of sweet, sickly way. I'm a bit worried about it as it was preceded by me giving myself a small scratch in the ear and I don't want to get an infection up in the brain neighbourhood.

But hey maybe it's corona
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153413 on: September 03, 2020, 12:36:02 am »

Might want to head to the hospital. The doctors should be able to figure out what’s going on

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153414 on: September 03, 2020, 11:19:59 am »

Might want to head to the hospital. The doctors should be able to figure out what’s going on

That's the kind of thing somebody who isn't a damned fool would do
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153415 on: September 03, 2020, 11:56:56 am »

That's the kind of thing somebody who isn't a damned fool would do
Go to A&E for earwax and you'll leave with earwax and maybe covid
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153416 on: September 03, 2020, 05:41:45 pm »

Gently swab with alcohol hand sanitizer? I solve everything with alcohol. It'll burn like a motherfucker if there is a cut, but that will probably clean out any potential infection and then evaporate away.
Unless it continues to get worse or cause additional pain, it might just be a bit of the runny gunk from a scab forming over the scratch. Scabs are always gross.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153417 on: September 03, 2020, 05:49:29 pm »

Sometimes... I feel like everybody around me are shaved apes. Other times I feel like a cavemen just unfrozen from a 30k years sleep.

Odd thing, it tend to happen with the same persons at different times.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153418 on: September 03, 2020, 05:58:35 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:39:07 am by dragdeler »
let

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #153419 on: September 03, 2020, 06:00:33 pm »

Sometimes... I feel like everybody around me are shaved apes. Other times I feel like a cavemen just unfrozen from a 30k years sleep.

Odd thing, it tend to happen with the same persons at different times.

Probably just depends on whether the apes are shaved or unshaved at the moment.

Socially sanctioned hallucinations.

Eh?
Pages: 1 ... 10226 10227 [10228] 10229 10230 ... 11037