Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10201 10202 [10203] 10204 10205 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554180 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153030 on: August 20, 2020, 12:32:00 pm »

I mean, I remember spending a week downloading a ~200 meg demo. What was once huge is no longer huge.

Part of it's probably to blame on bigger harddrives and whatnot, yeah. Other parts on constant pressure for higher fidelity and whatnot, probably a good bit on better internet infrastructure. When 50-100+ gigs only takes a day or two or whatever and takes up less than a tenth of your available HD space, excess isn't seen as quite so excessive.

... it's still totally excessive and devs should probably have that shit be a free launch DLC or something if they really bloody must have it, but people are more willing to tolerate it when the imposition isn't much, if at all, worse.

E: Seriously, a lot of games these days could learn from the fairly regular old practice of installation options. It used to be pretty common to be able to choose how much fancy bloat or extra cruft you wanted prior to actually installing it. We could use more of that on, like, Steam or whatever.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:34:37 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153031 on: August 20, 2020, 12:41:34 pm »

There is outrage rigth now at the current fligth simulator at 150gb to install and then after opening the game there are another 100gb and steam count that time as played time and the refund threshold is trigered and people cant actually test the game before that.

And lest not talk about a game that is 50gb and has 100gb of patches. Specially laughable on modern consoles were you buy a disk but still have to download and install several times the disk size to be able to play...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153032 on: August 20, 2020, 01:23:37 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:39:47 am by dragdeler »
let

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153033 on: August 20, 2020, 03:10:06 pm »

I remember reading somewhere, I can't remember where, that it actually is an intentional piracy deterrence design. Someone is far less likely to sort through so much data to cut out the garbage, same as likely as someone bothering to download(and seed the torrent) the full bloat.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153034 on: August 20, 2020, 03:26:17 pm »

Well it's also an effective purchase deterrence lol
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #153035 on: August 20, 2020, 04:32:18 pm »

The main thing bloating the sizes of games nowadays is the same thing that was doing so for the last 20 years or more - textures. Oh, 3D models do some of it, but textures are the big thing. The textures for a single level or region can easily exceed 3 or 4 gigs, and a lot of games have dozens or hundreds of said regions. Unless you want graphics to stop improving, file size bloat is an inevitable and unavoidable consequence.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153036 on: August 20, 2020, 04:47:33 pm »

Which doesn't apply to a 2d sprite-art battletoads remake. And we reached a point long ago where making an unusually beautiful game doesn't just take higher resolution textures. It takes good design.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153038 on: August 20, 2020, 05:12:30 pm »

Not entirely sure why they felt the need to include that last paragraph. Huh.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153039 on: August 20, 2020, 05:47:01 pm »

Quote from: news
"Just a month before his tragic death, the singer had posted a message on Facebook saying: “One day, the wrong train will take you to the right destination.”

I mean, its pretty ominous.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153040 on: August 20, 2020, 06:23:28 pm »

Quote from: news
"Just a month before his tragic death, the singer had posted a message on Facebook saying: “One day, the wrong train will take you to the right destination.”

I mean, its pretty ominous.

Either make the entire story that (interesting coincidence), or leave it off entirely.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153041 on: August 20, 2020, 06:49:28 pm »

Nah, a foot note or close line is fine. They are reporting a occurrence and wrap it up with a interesting a relevant coincidence about the deceased.

Making the whole thing about that would make the article about the supposed physic powers of a pop singer and the irony of failing to prevent it's own death?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153042 on: August 20, 2020, 07:16:38 pm »

Nah, a foot note or close line is fine. They are reporting a occurrence and wrap it up with a interesting a relevant coincidence about the deceased.

Making the whole thing about that would make the article about the supposed physic powers of a pop singer and the irony of failing to prevent it's own death?

Or the hilarity of coincidence.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153043 on: August 20, 2020, 07:24:21 pm »

Physic powers I say!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153044 on: August 20, 2020, 08:10:03 pm »

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nba-playoffs-best-moment-of-my-life-ruined-by-racism/news-story/ce94b13052c2cf32d718a40b197b66dd

The Raptors president was slammed in the chest and shoved backwards in a shocking moment. Ujiri returned the favour before others intervened and ushered him onto the court, where veteran guard Kyle Lowry embraced him.

The WTF is this:

Alan Strickland lodged a lawsuit in February claiming Ujiri had struck him and left him with lasting bodily and psychological injury.

The white guy who is suing shoved the other guy with both hands in the chest hard enough to send him back 3-4 feet, and seems to have done this twice. The black guy seems to have pushed him one handed and from the side, but this was during the split second the guy suddenly shoved him. He was just trying to walk through an access point, and suddenly someone's swinging arms at him, and he's basically lifted his arm and pushed the person away in that split second, and he's being sued for assault + trauma now.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:19:17 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 10201 10202 [10203] 10204 10205 ... 11039