Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10200 10201 [10202] 10203 10204 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14553623 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153015 on: August 20, 2020, 08:26:46 am »

And thus a new, arguably worse, Putin would be born.
If I didn't off them or (more likely) deport or censor them they would try to stage a coup. Also I would actively try to expand civil and political rights, unlike a certain someone. The human rights abuses here sicken me.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153016 on: August 20, 2020, 08:29:41 am »

But, but he rides bears bare-chested with ak45 and covid vaccine in his back.... how can you argue against that?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153017 on: August 20, 2020, 08:31:27 am »

You must mean ak47 there, or you're mixing that up with .45 caliber weapons or something.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:36:09 am by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153018 on: August 20, 2020, 08:31:36 am »

Most likely they would try to stage a coup, and you would have to hope that your new government was strong enough to withstand it.

New, idealistic governments which resort to the tactics of the 'enemy' (just to get started! It's a hard world! It'll be better in the long run!) don't tend to stay idealistic for long. There's a very prominent example in Russian history.

But, but he rides bears bare-chested with ak45 and covid vaccine in his back.... how can you argue against that?
This is also a compelling point.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153019 on: August 20, 2020, 08:31:43 am »

Create enough deep-fake propaganda that he lets the bear ride HIM, that's how.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153020 on: August 20, 2020, 08:34:19 am »

If I didn't off them or (more likely) deport or censor them they would try to stage a coup. Also I would actively try to expand civil and political rights, unlike a certain someone. The human rights abuses here sicken me.
This kind of thing is why I'm an anarchist. "Oh, don't worry, it's okay for me to kill my political enemies because I'm morally in the right." No human can be allowed to have power over any other humans. I don't care if it leads to Mad Max, that's better than this.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153021 on: August 20, 2020, 08:37:20 am »

I probably wouldn't be able to adapt to an anarchist society, to be honest. It's just so weird to me (and I had this discussion about anarchism like 5 times already and I have no interest in beating a dead horse).

As for this?
Most likely they would try to stage a coup, and you would have to hope that your new government was strong enough to withstand it.
This is an alternative... if my new government got enough support from the army, and maybe foreign support too. I would prefer to resolve that problem without resorting to violence but it might be very hard...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:44:09 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153022 on: August 20, 2020, 08:45:37 am »

It depends what's meant by anarchism. One on hand you have individualist anarchism, and on other other hand you have political anarchism.

In practice, living in such a society wouldn't really be all that different to day to day life in any existing nation. You need to remember that these philosophies arose in a period in which much of Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs or dictatorship, so when they said "no ruler" they really meant "no God Emperor who can fuck you up on a whim". So a lot of stuff that groups like anarchists actually proposed are actually rights that we take for granted living in modern liberal democracies. It's not a response against modern liberal democracies, it's just a variant on that.

Look for example at the Ancien Regime of France, which was the law code of France pre-revolution, and realise that other nations which had not had an uprising had similar laws around the time the Anarchists were writing their stuff. Up until the ~1790s the mandated punishments for various crimes in France included being boiled alive, being dismembered, the breaking wheel, being burnt to death etc. So when 19th century European anarchists were writing about "no rulers" they were writing in a period in which those brutal types of execution laws either still existed or were within living memory. They weren't calling for nobody to be in charge of anything in some sort of philosophical sense, but for an end to dictatorship. Political Anarchism is just the name of one of the proposes non-dictatorial systems.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:01:36 am by Reelya »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153023 on: August 20, 2020, 09:01:49 am »

I probably wouldn't be able to adapt to an anarchist society, to be honest. It's just so weird to me (and I had this discussion about anarchism like 5 times already and I have no interest in beating a dead horse).

As for this?
This is an alternative... if my new government got enough support from the army, and maybe foreign support too. I would prefer to resolve that problem without resorting to violence but it might be very hard...
I mean foreign support might not be that hard to acquire given how many countries are afraid of Putin and would be glad to see him gone.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153024 on: August 20, 2020, 09:25:04 am »

snip
Well this is part of the reason I don't support anarchism. Everything I like about such a hypothetical society (yes, everything) would already be provided to me by a liberal democracy, which is probably easier to create through reform or a relatively bloodless coup than a bloody revolution.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153025 on: August 20, 2020, 11:20:45 am »

Yeah ak47 or 74. Im... not in the best shape currently sorry.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153026 on: August 20, 2020, 11:30:23 am »

What is with these devs who seem to have forgotten how to code. There's a new Battletoads game, takes 10GB download for some cartoon action and running around, you get about 2.5 hours of cartoony levels. Seriously, what the hell could even take 10GB worth of space for that? Are they saving every single frame of the thing as a movie in 4K resolution or something?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/battletoads-game-review-good-moments-dont-save-the-toad-al-package/

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153027 on: August 20, 2020, 11:36:13 am »

People are becoming careless with disk and ram, specially with disk as there seems to be plenty of space now, the issue is if everyone does that, then soon enough there is no space again.

What you describe seems like a real waste of resources and not taking care of optimization.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153028 on: August 20, 2020, 12:19:32 pm »

What is with these devs who seem to have forgotten how to code. There's a new Battletoads game, takes 10GB download for some cartoon action and running around, you get about 2.5 hours of cartoony levels. Seriously, what the hell could even take 10GB worth of space for that? Are they saving every single frame of the thing as a movie in 4K resolution or something?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/battletoads-game-review-good-moments-dont-save-the-toad-al-package/
I have no idea why this is happening. It seems games in general are increasing in size dramatically with no good reason. I remember when 50 GB was considered a huge download, now we have many approaching the low hundreds of gigabytes.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153029 on: August 20, 2020, 12:27:14 pm »

Hell I recall installing Diablo 2 and thinking the 1.5 GB for that was pretty huge, and that game has plenty of content.

10GB for a game you can finish in 2 hours seems like a bit much.
Pages: 1 ... 10200 10201 [10202] 10203 10204 ... 11039