Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10065 10066 [10067] 10068 10069 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544979 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150990 on: April 15, 2020, 02:26:46 pm »

I liked the Nameless Mod for the original Deus Ex about as much as the original game.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150991 on: April 15, 2020, 02:41:14 pm »

I liked the Nameless Mod for the original Deus Ex about as much as the original game.
I’ve never played the original, and so don;t know what the nameless mod changed

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150992 on: April 15, 2020, 02:44:25 pm »

It removed all the names
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150993 on: April 15, 2020, 02:52:29 pm »

It removed all the names
I saw the video, there were names, names of the city, the name of the person we play as, i asked what the mod did because I still heard names

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #150994 on: April 15, 2020, 02:56:15 pm »

> "7 years in the making"
> Most comments are from 7 years ago
ohgods

But yeah looks like a total conversion, AKA a new story with presumably new mechanics, made as a mod.  Looks visually impressive compared to the original game, at least as a trailer.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150995 on: April 15, 2020, 03:17:41 pm »

I really like Deus Ex, but there are parts that I'm not sure have aged well. In particular, I find it hard to judge today how much of the BS the writers believed themselves and how much was tongue-in-cheek. It's easy to read it as a self-aware pastiche of conspiracy culture while beating up greys in Area 51 with your triad-illuminati nanosword, but then you also get treated to things like the lengthy and oddly earnest monologues about FEMA camps and the like.

The many John-Birchy "world government" and "new world order" allusions jump out a bit, and it's either lazy or concerning that they made the American insurgents be the "Northwest Secessionist Forces" (topical today given increasing prominence of neo-nazis and christian dominionists in that region, and the longer-lived "northwest imperative" movement).

It still is an incredible game though, the best I know of in many respects. The voice-acting alone is a goldmine of things you'd never find anywhere else in a game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:29:34 pm by WealthyRadish »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #150996 on: April 15, 2020, 03:41:59 pm »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the official GDC postmortem by a dev explains somewhere in the Q&A that they were pleasantly surprised that people on both sides of "the" aisle were upset with the game for "promoting" harmful conspiracies.

I don't remember if he says, but I'm 99% sure none of it was supposed to be serious.  Remember that this came out shortly *before* 9/11/2001 (despite omitting the Twin Towers due to a CREEPY but random oversight).  I'm not sure why FEMA camps would have been contentious in 2000, but Katrina hit in 2005.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150997 on: April 15, 2020, 06:02:58 pm »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the official GDC postmortem by a dev explains somewhere in the Q&A that they were pleasantly surprised that people on both sides of "the" aisle were upset with the game for "promoting" harmful conspiracies.

I don't remember if he says, but I'm 99% sure none of it was supposed to be serious.  Remember that this came out shortly *before* 9/11/2001 (despite omitting the Twin Towers due to a CREEPY but random oversight).  I'm not sure why FEMA camps would have been contentious in 2000, but Katrina hit in 2005.

At that time, FEMA was probably a group that people trusted. Now that they've been seen in action, that's changed significantly, but at the time...

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #150998 on: April 15, 2020, 06:44:53 pm »

It's a total conversion mod set in a virtual world based on a specific forum with a culture similar to this one.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #150999 on: April 15, 2020, 08:14:50 pm »

This plague — the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #151000 on: April 15, 2020, 08:22:16 pm »

Why contain it?

It’s cool.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:25:31 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #151001 on: April 15, 2020, 08:30:26 pm »

This plague — the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.
Wait, people are rioting because of a plague? Why!? What do they hope to gain with this? I think most rioting is stupid since it's unfocused, but this is just extra stupid. Do they think if they tantrum enough they'll become immune to diseases?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #151002 on: April 15, 2020, 08:41:27 pm »

I think most I've heard of have been rioting in hopes of getting their government to actually goddamn do something, actually? There's probably exceptions there, but most uunrewt unrest I've heard about has been in response to government inaction/incompetence/malfeasance in relation to plague response.

E: what the hell autocorrupt
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #151003 on: April 15, 2020, 08:44:50 pm »

Wait, people are rioting because of a plague? Why!? What do they hope to gain with this? I think most rioting is stupid since it's unfocused, but this is just extra stupid. Do they think if they tantrum enough they'll become immune to diseases?
No no no, I’m referencing this
But there was a ‘gridlock protest’ out in Michigan because people are having the big mad over lockdowns 
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151004 on: April 15, 2020, 08:47:22 pm »

Do people not realize that going out allows them to spread a disease if they have it, and get a disease if they don’t?
@Frump;e: my IPad is now confused about when to correct and when not to. I;ve turned that into t h s t so many times thst that it thinks it’s a word and doesn’t correct thst to that
Pages: 1 ... 10065 10066 [10067] 10068 10069 ... 11037