Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9652 9653 [9654] 9655 9656 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14531962 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #144795 on: May 06, 2019, 05:38:07 pm »

Because art that the masses like is often different from art that the artists themselves like. It's possible they wrote a hit song that they hate but that made them enough money to write the songs they actually want to write. See TV Tropes: Magnum Opus Dissonance.
But then why is the one song a stripped-down love song making an argument for the positive side of mortality and the eventual finality of time, while all the other songs are country-pop effect fests with generic trashy lyrics about "lol anxiety" or "lol white people"? That strikes me as extremely backwards if we're talking about selling out for mass appeal.

That's more, like, Magnum Anus Dissonance.

Doctor! Give it to me straight!

No time for that, Mr. Smith! Your wife has come down with a severe case of...... *dramatically looks at camera* ....MAGNUM ANUS DISSONANCE! We have to reach a minimum safe distance of 3.5 miles before she reaches CRITICAL ASS!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144796 on: May 06, 2019, 06:52:50 pm »

Wakka Wakka
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144797 on: May 06, 2019, 09:19:29 pm »

My autocorrect randomly capitalizes words. I have no idea why.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144798 on: May 06, 2019, 09:21:43 pm »

Oh kagus you make me smile. Keep being you

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #144799 on: May 06, 2019, 11:24:32 pm »

Wakka Wakka

aww shit, here comes pacman
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #144800 on: May 07, 2019, 12:46:55 am »

My autocorrect randomly capitalizes words. I have no idea why.

I Think it does that because it eventually, by misspelling-and-correcting or just use, it eventually starts to remember words that you've wrote capitalised because it was the first word in the sentence as "words added to the word list".

But yeah, my does that too. For example, it capitalised "think" second word above.
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144801 on: May 07, 2019, 12:52:52 am »

I don't use an autocorrect. That's why I have so many words misspelled in all my posts and makes my posts look like they were written by a 2nd grader.  Does not stop me from mentally capitalizing certain words for no reason.  Like Think, or SO (which I capitalize the s and the o for some reason)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #144802 on: May 07, 2019, 02:28:42 am »

What is a nuclear attack? This some sorta punch?

Clearly it's a jumping 360 turning kick to the head, crediting the kicker with 5 points and the kicked with severe discomfort.

Y'know... I don't really miss Taekwondo.

It was fun as a kid, but holy fuck... I'd never be able to do it with a straight face these days.

I draw a line between sparring techniques and special techniques. Sure, the show moves are over the top and sometimes a bit silly, but at its core it's still the art and science of hitting people hard enough to break bones, which is... quite something.

Also, some of them are still really cool when done properly. A flying spinning back kick sounds absurd until you watch a 180cm 90+kg black belt fluidly deliver one at a height and speed intended to dismount a horseman.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144803 on: May 07, 2019, 02:38:27 am »

One of my old instructors was so tall and lanky that he had difficulty sparring, because he'd always trained for really high kicks. In sparring, his feet would just sail over the head of his opponent.

And he wasn't even the one who had perfected the 180 degree "attack the enemy that is somehow flying over me" kick.

Plenty of impressive stuff, sure, but that doesn't mean it was particularly useful... And we also had to learn what we called "butterfly kicks", which aren't the butterfly kicks you'll find if you Google the term. We were supposed to jump forward, do a round kick with our one leg on the target in front of us, then do a round kick with the other leg on the same target before landing.

Really difficult, really awkward... Completely useless in a fight because neither of those kicks has any power behind them whatsoever and you're leaving yourself really open.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #144804 on: May 07, 2019, 02:57:18 am »

The showy stuff is there more to push the limits in terms of flexibility, speed and agility. You wouldn't use something like that butterfly kick because a simple and elegant roundhouse would do the job of knocking someone  out just fine and quicker too. Also the jumpy stuff is useful at times if you're kinda short, helps with the reach.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144805 on: May 07, 2019, 05:17:29 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:38:32 am by dragdeler »
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144806 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:22 am »

I don't use an autocorrect. That's why I have so many words misspelled in all my posts and makes my posts look like they were written by a 2nd grader.  Does not stop me from mentally capitalizing certain words for no reason.  Like Think, or SO (which I capitalize the s and the o for some reason)
I thought you meant the acronym Significant Other at first and was confused.
Which- I think that's an example right there of me using capitalization instead of quotes, which is wrongbad.  It's pretty understandable when explaining an acronym, but I do it a lot of other times.  Like discussing items in RPGs, I will probably just say Energy Weapon Parts and Gauss Coils which is unright.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #144807 on: May 07, 2019, 06:35:38 am »

Even a roundhouse kick is pretty risky. IMHO the only safe kick is a chassé, it's harder to counter than a straight kick to the head, even if that would be devastating.

As a rule snap kicks (which I think is basically the same as a chausse?) are the fastest and most reliable, but there are times when your stance supports turning and going straight into a kick, or times when you turn to defend something and you can spin the rest of the way around into a back kick.

To be honest though I just enjoy turning kicks and back kicks because they're incredibly satisfying to land.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144808 on: May 07, 2019, 06:48:29 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:38:49 am by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144809 on: May 07, 2019, 06:52:31 am »

Heh, I remember one time in close-quarters combat training in the military when we were practicing various striking techniques... The dude holding the pad for me was about twice my size and built like a reasonably lean lowland gorilla. His feet actually left the floor when I was doing front kicks. Was fun.
Pages: 1 ... 9652 9653 [9654] 9655 9656 ... 11037