Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9475 9476 [9477] 9478 9479 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524149 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142140 on: January 25, 2019, 01:42:28 pm »

Heck, most of the robots are nothing but arms.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142141 on: January 25, 2019, 01:44:24 pm »

This is tangential, but I never understood why arming sword wasn't named disarming sword. What forgotten healing magic were the ancients practising?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142142 on: January 25, 2019, 01:49:57 pm »

This is tangential, but I never understood why arming sword wasn't named disarming sword. What forgotten healing magic were the ancients practising?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142143 on: January 25, 2019, 01:51:45 pm »

It's not for disarming. It's for being armed if your other weapons break or get lost or you didn't bring them in the first place, being classically an estoc worn as a sidearm.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142144 on: January 25, 2019, 01:53:54 pm »

So it's a sidearming sword?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142145 on: January 25, 2019, 01:56:51 pm »

It's not for disarming. It's for being armed if your other weapons break or get lost or you didn't bring them in the first place, being classically an estoc worn as a sidearm.
Have you noticed I wasn't being serious?

But since were at it, I don't think that's right. Estoc appears to be a later development than the arming sword, by at least a century. The function doesn't appear to be the same, the former being specifically a cavalry sword.
Disclaimer: All I know about swords is from reading the Wiki and watching Matt Easton's channel.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142146 on: January 25, 2019, 01:57:04 pm »

Um the military would curbstomp any legitimate military type attack effortlessly. A guerilla insurrection would work though.
I wouldnt say it would end up being that cut and dry, just because our military is composed of the same people that would get caught up in the rebellion, or simply refuse to follow orders. The military will have to sort out anybody with a conscience before it can move forward. Not to say that would take long or military rebels would accomplish much, but it wont be neat or pretty, and wont be a curbstomp by any means.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142147 on: January 25, 2019, 02:03:18 pm »

So it's a sidearming sword?

Yep. It's the medieval-and-later equivalent of the guy who insists he be able to open carry a gun everywhere because it's his right; you carry it mostly to show off that you're allowed to do so.

Incidentally, this ended up evolving into the spada da lato (lit. side-sword), a sort of proto-rapier, on the theory that if you're just wearing a sword to show off and aren't in armor, your opponents probably aren't either.

But since were at it, I don't think that's right. Estoc appears to be a later development than the arming sword, by at least a century. The function doesn't appear to be the same, the former being specifically a cavalry sword.
Disclaimer: All I know about swords is from reading the Wiki and watching Matt Easton's channel.

I think you've got it backwards. Since you like the Wiki: Estocs showed up in the 14th century. The first contemporary mention of an espée d'armes is 15th century.

EDIT: And yes, I did know you were joking. I just think history's cool.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142148 on: January 25, 2019, 02:08:11 pm »

Oi, the wiki page says the arming sword is 1000-1500 AD.

a later development than the arming sword, by at least a century
That bit still don't make no sense though.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142149 on: January 25, 2019, 02:16:46 pm »

Oi, the wiki page says the arming sword is 1000-1500 AD.

a later development than the arming sword, by at least a century
That bit still don't make no sense though.

I think it's because there are two things meant by "arming sword", per the article on "Knightly sword."

"Arming sword" in late medieval usage specifically refers to the [estoc] when worn as a side-arm,[3] but as a modern term it may also refer to any single-handed sword in a late medieval context.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142150 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:28 pm »

GF came back, packages in mailbox were not for me (she's the only one with a key to check the box). Package status is still "in transit".

It would seem that I shall not groom my beard on this day.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #142151 on: January 25, 2019, 05:38:40 pm »

Came into work an hour ago and only just realized I still have my septum jewelry flipped out. jfc why didn't anyone say anything
I mean... I guess it's a plus sign no one thought it worth mentioning? Apparently folks around you are mostly okay with it.
Which is funny because my boss told me my jewelry can't be visible at work, yet my coworkers don't care, I rarely interact with customers, and I wear nail polish (I pass as male so this is unusual) which you'd think that one would have gotten shut down quick but no one's ever really commented on it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142152 on: January 25, 2019, 07:11:20 pm »

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142153 on: January 25, 2019, 07:16:13 pm »

Eeeeeeee I'm always so tempted to crop 8-bit theater for reaction images but I feel like I'd come off as smugly obscure.  Which is dumb, it's a pretty famous webcomic...
What I'm saying is that made me happy today, WTF
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142154 on: January 26, 2019, 06:11:50 am »

Tinder settles after lawsuit from users aged 30+, who were made to pay more than double for a premium subscription than younger users.

Oh hey, cool, I might be able to get out of this relationship and back onto the scene just in time to get penalized for being an undesirable age.
Pages: 1 ... 9475 9476 [9477] 9478 9479 ... 11037