Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9423 9424 [9425] 9426 9427 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544757 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141360 on: December 24, 2018, 08:13:24 pm »

If ice is celery, why do Eskimos send their old people out to die? Surely there'd always be some sort of food.
I've heard but I don't know...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141361 on: December 24, 2018, 08:34:07 pm »

Why is the oxygen not included thread locked?

Good question, I didn't do it. But I can undo it. Weird. Maybe I misclicked something, that is probably it, despite not posting I read it a lot. I've unlocked it.

Maybe I should update the title to early access instead of alpha.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:40:38 pm by Criptfeind »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #141362 on: December 24, 2018, 08:51:38 pm »

Like. I read a lot of pretty shitty writing. Fairly inured to it, s'endemic to (free) writing in general and punch magic stuff specifically. But... sometimes. Sometimes it gets to me.

This time. I read a paragraph long spiel about how the protag has spent relatively large amounts of effort learning to use a bow. Promptly thereafter we're informed that. He has no bow. He didn't have the money to get a bow previously (previously being a period of months, years). They don't really sell bows to begin with where he's at, despite his paragraph long spiel studded with bits about how bows are pretty awesome for what his world has to deal with. He doesn't know how to make bows.

Who knows how much time spent training to use a bow, when. No bow. No bow access. No bow market. No personal bow manufacturing capability. Somebody didn't think this archery thing through.

You get this painful impression that either the main character is an idiot or the author is. Or both. Both is as possible as this twit's bows were lacking.

... any case it's apparently titled Super God Gene. I'm subtitling it like much of comments seem to be: The Story of the Idiot that Didn't Promptly Eat the MacGuffin!Rock.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141363 on: December 24, 2018, 09:03:31 pm »

Now I kinda want to read a fantasy novel (by a clever, skilled author) following the adventures of an absolute imbecile.
I mean, plenty of my favourite fantasy novels have main characters who are naive or who might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but an absolute moron could be a fun protagonist, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141364 on: December 24, 2018, 10:43:10 pm »

If ice is celery, why do Eskimos send their old people out to die? Surely there'd always be some sort of food.
But apparently celery is energy-negative. So if you sent someone out into a field of celery they’d still die.

Or... celery blizzard.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #141365 on: December 25, 2018, 12:44:33 am »

... welp, as asspulls go that was one of the more out there I've encountered in a while. Protag ends up in dire straits, cornered underground by someone casually kicking his ass around. Out of fucking nowhere rando hobo that got like one line of mention a bit earlier walks out of a goddamn lava pool. Apparently he was just chillin' in 500+ degree molten rock because ???

No, seriously, the old hobo fuck -- naturally an even more powerful shitkicker than the guy that was shitkicking the MC -- was lounging around in a lava pool apparently just for shits and giggles. Forget chekov's shota pegging now we have chekov's half-senile hobo god lava bath.

... I'm going to keep reading, 'cause if I got through colossal shitpiles like long live summons I can get through castle of black iron, but... seriously. I can't tell if this is laziness, incompetence, or intoxication. "Ah ha, I shall solve the corner I've written myself into by having a homeless geriatric crawl out of the pool of superheated lava! Genius!"
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141366 on: December 25, 2018, 01:19:50 am »

They don't. The last recorded case of Eskimo geronticide was eighty years ago and it had been basically unheard of long before that.

The myth that Eskimos put old people on ice floes to die stems from a combination of three things: Eskimo society is relatively anarchic (so cases of outright murder are punished with social censure, which can be hard to see from outside), they have historically had more permissive attitudes toward assisted suicide for many reasons (which, again, can look like murder if you aren't paying attention) and, of course, they're not white, which makes them prime targets for the usual crowd of meddlesome Westerners to assume appalling savagery on their part and rush to civilize them with Bibles and colonialism and so forth.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141367 on: December 25, 2018, 02:32:45 am »

They don't. The last recorded case of Eskimo geronticide was eighty years ago and it had been basically unheard of long before that.

The myth that Eskimos put old people on ice floes to die stems from a combination of three things: Eskimo society is relatively anarchic (so cases of outright murder are punished with social censure, which can be hard to see from outside), they have historically had more permissive attitudes toward assisted suicide for many reasons (which, again, can look like murder if you aren't paying attention) and, of course, they're not white, which makes them prime targets for the usual crowd of meddlesome Westerners to assume appalling savagery on their part and rush to civilize them with Bibles and colonialism and so forth.

Now if only we can get people to leave the middle east alone too...

Never have understood the mad-rush so many have to "Civilize!" (ahem--- Culturally genocide)  other cultures. 

Yes. They have different social norms and mores.  That's kinda the F-ing point.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141368 on: December 25, 2018, 03:50:23 am »

I had a bloody nose in the shower. Good timing at least.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141369 on: December 25, 2018, 08:07:21 am »

and, of course, they're not white, which makes them prime targets for the usual crowd of meddlesome Westerners to assume appalling savagery on their part and rush to civilize them with Bibles and colonialism and so forth.

Yeah, it's not like any white people have such myths told about them
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141370 on: December 25, 2018, 08:11:12 am »

Actually...

Rewind about 2 millennia.  Gaul.  You know-- France.

Go see if the Romans had anything nice at all to say about them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:15:09 am by wierd »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141371 on: December 25, 2018, 08:15:45 am »

Rewind a little over a century and you find common beliefs that the Irish were not full human beings, or at least not actually real Europeans. Ironically, bigotry knows no colours or creeds.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141372 on: December 25, 2018, 08:16:52 am »

Actually...

Rewind about 2 millennia.  Gaul.  You know-- France.

Go see if the Romans had anything nice at all to say about them.
As you well know, they are talking about present times.

You could've gone with a more current example like what GC did.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141373 on: December 25, 2018, 08:21:27 am »

True, but the historical period should not matter.  Functionally, the situations are sufficiently identical that the example shines none the less.

(Urban, cosmopolitan society creates and indulges in ribald fantasy about those "Backward!" "Uncouth!" "Uncivilized!" people that are really only guilty of being "Different."  Go to great lengths to forcibly change their culture.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141374 on: December 25, 2018, 08:29:35 am »

True, but the historical period should not matter.  Functionally, the situations are sufficiently identical that the example shines none the less.

(Urban, cosmopolitan society creates and indulges in ribald fantasy about those "Backward!" "Uncouth!" "Uncivilized!" people that are really only guilty of being "Different."  Go to great lengths to forcibly change their culture.)
To be honest, non-urban societies also engage in vilifying those not of it. The main difference is that they usually have neither the resources nor motivations to go and "civilize" them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 9423 9424 [9425] 9426 9427 ... 11037