Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9367 9368 [9369] 9370 9371 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558738 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140520 on: November 27, 2018, 07:08:00 pm »

-snip-
Right... we have four canines (being generous and counting the lower ones, even though none of them are proper canines compared to those found in other primates), and we have... how many cuspids, bicuspids and molars?

Really though, there's a significant difference between "frugivore" and "herbivore", let alone "primarily vegetable omnivore", which humans happen to be (see also: long intestinal tract, indicative of diets based around vegetable matter). Frugivore just doesn't work for humans, as evidenced by anyone who took Steve Jobs seriously. Herbivore mostly works, with certain nutritional needs being somewhat poorly accounted for without meat (although these are easily fulfilled through dietary supplements, even plant-based ones). But yeah, a primarily fruit diet just... yeah.

Just try and take it in stride, man... there are always gonna be people presenting dumb ideas as "the one holy truth", like raw foods or zero-carb or fructarianism or whatever...

I want to know that 3 hour dish.
Y'know, I found it when researching Indian dishes when we were first in Hyderabad, and I haven't been able to find it since... It's a primarily Muslim meal intended to be a protein-rich calorie bomb eaten after Ramadan, and it looks vaguely reminiscent of diarrhea, but that's all I remember about it.

It's not idli or dosa, so it's not important as far as I'm concerned. Or biryani. Or cutlet. Or panipuri. Or...

Fuck.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140521 on: November 27, 2018, 07:25:05 pm »

For reals though I like to cook, like, alot.

I make up my own stuff and I make it 100% from scratch. Sauces are made of cream/milk/butter and some manner of thickener, like flour, depending on my needs. Tomato sauce is made from goddam tomatoes and does not come from a jar. Frozen vegetables are not allowed. I grow herbs.

Don't get me wrong I come home tired as balls and just eat a TV dinner sometimes, too.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140522 on: November 27, 2018, 09:04:00 pm »

Oh, this is thread and rail-appropriate:  My housemate called me up Sunday and asked if I'd be interested in a shoulder or two of deer meat.
I mean, his family runs a horse farm, clearly one of them went hunting.  It was kinda amusing how he didn't *say* that, even after I left a meaningful pause before saying "well, yeah?  Sure?"

I'm glad I took a shoulder, and only one.  He can't eat any of it, having the lyme-related thing where he can't eat mammals.  Chopping the meat up was...  an interesting and extensive experience, given my general avoidance of meat, but I got most of it off the bones.  I stewed it overnight with a whole onion (I like onion) and a few potatoes.  No seasoning but a guesstimate of salt, since I haven't tasted deer in a while.  I should have gotten some carrots...  Anyway, it came out real well.  Very chewy ("gamey", a culinary friend says) but I like it, dense and flavorful.  And the long stew-time makes the chunks separate easily, except across the lines. 

I'm going to take almost a week to eat this much meat, heh.  And I got it free!  Just, urk, my stomach complains a bit...  Got to take it slow.

I don't know why this thread keeps turning into a carni/veget/vegan discussion, but my "beef" is with factory farming.  And I still support that occasionally, for the convenience, so I consider this (helping put a hunted animal to full use) as practically penance.  It lived free and died.  I really hate food wastage.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140523 on: November 27, 2018, 09:08:09 pm »

I agree with that. I avoid creepy farm stuff when possible, but sometimes it's hard to know.

I have no problem with people hunting animals for food. It's natural. Trophy hunting is fukkin' evil, though.... unless there's some kind of necessary-to-the-ecosystem selective purge thing. A man-introduced invasive species, etc.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #140524 on: November 27, 2018, 09:27:17 pm »

I think a society that could rely on hunting to feed itself would be great for both hunters and animals. I just don't that that with current numbers it's feasible.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #140525 on: November 27, 2018, 09:45:18 pm »

I think a society that could rely on hunting to feed itself would be great for both hunters and animals. I just don't that that with current numbers it's feasible.
Do you count cannibalism with those numbers

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140526 on: November 27, 2018, 09:54:57 pm »

Do you count cannibalism with those numbers
Quote from: Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #140527 on: November 27, 2018, 09:59:54 pm »

Well, yeah, everyone knows it's just a Gascon term for couque au chocolat, more properly called a chocolate croissant.

*yells incomprehensively*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140528 on: November 27, 2018, 10:21:35 pm »

Unless by rely you mean supplement, it's not terribly feasible with human populations way, waaaay smaller than our current one. Our species has been an extinction event or near to it for other species since before we started brutally enviro-fucking the planet, never mind after, and that when we seemed to be primarily dieting on not!meat.

Humans doing much hunting, particularly relying on it, is a BAD END level scenario for most everything else, heh. Something that was vaguely sustainable would be less hunting than large scale free range farming, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #140529 on: November 27, 2018, 10:29:58 pm »

It's not even like it's an option anyway. There was a time in humanity's history where hunter gatherers actually compete with sedentary farmers. Hunter-gatherers just got outbred and disapeared. It's not like it's a choice we can even make

It's called "Pain au Chocolat"

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140530 on: November 27, 2018, 10:56:07 pm »

I agree with that. I avoid creepy farm stuff when possible, but sometimes it's hard to know.

I have no problem with people hunting animals for food. It's natural. Trophy hunting is fukkin' evil, though.... unless there's some kind of necessary-to-the-ecosystem selective purge thing. A man-introduced invasive species, etc.

+1 to this. Have stopped eating meat because of that.

I still eat eggs though. Americans seem to have a thing against free range stuff though, may have to give that up...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140531 on: November 27, 2018, 11:29:48 pm »

+1 to this. Have stopped eating meat because of that.

I still eat eggs though. Americans seem to have a thing against free range stuff though, may have to give that up...
I mean, you can give free range eggs more support by buying them. Vote with your dollar and all.

That said, they do cost a lot.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140532 on: November 27, 2018, 11:39:07 pm »

The factory egg producers flood the market, causing saturation.

It costs money to advertise, and people tend to buy what is available, and cheap.

The real solution is to make factory egg producers actually abide by ethical conditions for their animals, via the legal system.  Voting with the wallet wont work, because that's not how markets work.  In terms of market dynamics, the factory eggs are the superior option because more are produced, more inexpensively.  You have to introduce a bad to make them stop being the market superior option.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140533 on: November 28, 2018, 12:00:13 am »

The factory egg producers flood the market, causing saturation.

It costs money to advertise, and people tend to buy what is available, and cheap.

The real solution is to make factory egg producers actually abide by ethical conditions for their animals, via the legal system.  Voting with the wallet wont work, because that's not how markets work.  In terms of market dynamics, the factory eggs are the superior option because more are produced, more inexpensively.  You have to introduce a bad to make them stop being the market superior option.
Fair. But free range producers grow more prevelant if there is a market for them, so it's a step.

Legal remedies are better.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140534 on: November 28, 2018, 12:44:32 am »

Looking up frugivory for the essay I'm on, and I have discovered there appears to be a large section (at least for what I'd have anticipated), presumably of the vegan-vegitarian demographic, that believe humans are frugivores.

I mean, it goes against everything that science, evolution, palaeontology and such say, but yeah. It totally makes sense. The cutting tool marks on bones of the prey of ancient humans clearly came from... Sabre tooth cats or something that had managed to learn to use tools. And the fact that humans have canines is evidence of their use for cracking open nuts, I guess? And the piles of seashells that started appearing around coasts when humans moved in are signs of very well coordinated limpet beachings that, much like dolphins and whales of the modern day, nobody can really explain. And the enzymes to digest nutrients found in meat are there because aliens put them there.

In all seriousness, I'm not gonna argue that it's not natural for us to eat as much meat as we tend to nowadays, at least in the western world, and that our diet primarily consisted of root vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains and such for most of our history, but pretending we're herbivores that somehow just... learned to eat meat or something is just fucking stupid.

Wait, nobody can explain whales and dolphins??!

I can explain them really easily.

Boobfish.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9367 9368 [9369] 9370 9371 ... 11040