Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9312 9313 [9314] 9315 9316 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14530429 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139695 on: November 06, 2018, 02:54:41 am »

Tmi warning, but my body seem to have forgotten how to take a dump and it is wrecking havoc on my daily schedule.
Love, scriver~

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139696 on: November 06, 2018, 03:08:36 am »

What kind of joke did they arrest someone for?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46106224

Basically a video was posted to social media where a cardboard model of Grenfell tower (where 72 died in a fire last year) was set alight on a bonfire while people laughed at it.  5 men have handed themselves into police over it and were arrested on suspicion of public order offenses.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139697 on: November 06, 2018, 03:13:41 am »

What kind of joke did they arrest someone for?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46106224

Basically a video was posted to social media where a cardboard model of Grenfell tower (where 72 died in a fire last year) was set alight on a bonfire while people laughed at it.  5 men have handed themselves into police over it and were arrested on suspicion of public order offenses.
They deserved it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139698 on: November 06, 2018, 03:36:19 am »

They deserved it.
Dude, WTF?
Next you'll be saying every poster in the Terrible Jokes thread should have the secret police sicced on them.

Apparently the UK is at it again, arresting people for making jokes. -_-

So why you are annoyed about it? Didn't you call Putin "total bro", considering there were numerous arrests in Russia for simply liking stuff on the social networks?
Well, I've no idea how accurate that article is (or the charges for that matter), but the examples given are of people convicted for sharing a variety of... fairly extreme anti-government stuff. I'll admit that my knowledge of Russia's political situation doubtless has some holes in it, but voicing support for anti-Russia extremist groups who may-or-may-not be involved in actual conflict is a little different from cracking a harmless, dark joke with your mates about a tragic one-off accident last year, wouldn't you agree?

I hope you're staying safe from that sort of thing, in any case.

Edit:
Tmi warning, but my body seem to have forgotten how to take a dump and it is wrecking havoc on my daily schedule.
Have you changed your diet recently? More or less fiber, perhaps?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139699 on: November 06, 2018, 03:41:14 am »

They deserved it.
Dude, WTF?
Next you'll be saying every poster in the Terrible Jokes thread should have the secret police sicced on them.
That joke was genuinely horrible. What's next, allowing Holocaust and 9/11 jokes?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139700 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:50 am »

They deserved it.
Dude, WTF?
That joke was genuinely horrible. What's next, allowing Holocaust and 9/11 jokes?
Those are perfectly legal, in civilized countries. They're in bad taste, and will generally provoke public outcry, but the notion of arresting people for them is insane in the extreme.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139701 on: November 06, 2018, 03:51:10 am »

They deserved it.
Dude, WTF?
Those are perfectly legal, in civilized countries. They're in bad taste, and will generally provoke public outcry, but the notion of arresting people for them is insane in the extreme.
Aye. Hell, people in the US - a significant portion of the population at that - think that our own gov. caused 9/11. Do I think this joke was a shitty one? Yes. Should they be covicted on anything? Nah. Now, if it was hate speech, that is a different story- the US deals with that divide a whole lot lately....
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139702 on: November 06, 2018, 03:56:53 am »

Did thus happen as part of the gunpowder plot celebration bonfires?
Love, scriver~

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139703 on: November 06, 2018, 04:00:18 am »

Fine. But I think that pro-Nazi speech of any sort should not be allowed anywhere (except in historical fiction, obviously).

That's how it is over here, anyway.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139704 on: November 06, 2018, 04:04:30 am »

Well, I've no idea how accurate that article is (or the charges for that matter), but the examples given are of people convicted for sharing a variety of... fairly extreme anti-government stuff. I'll admit that my knowledge of Russia's political situation doubtless has some holes in it, but voicing support for anti-Russia extremist groups who may-or-may-not be involved in actual conflict is a little different from cracking a harmless, dark joke with your mates about a tragic one-off accident last year, wouldn't you agree?

I hope you're staying safe from that sort of thing, in any case.

Liking anti-Russian (as in against the state, not the people) content will not lead to a liberal revolution in Russia, that's just common sense. As for the coup guy, that could just be false alarm/strawman: Contrary to what Russian media spouts, Russian opposition doesn't want Russia to become a client state of the West.

I mean, liking a picture of burning Kremlin doesn't mean that the ones who liked it are planning terror act: There are a plenty of reasons to hate our government and its officials.

Fine. But I think that pro-Nazi speech of any sort should not be allowed anywhere (except in historical fiction, obviously).

That's how it is over here, anyway.
Or the blogger who reported the potential "coup" could be just a filthy liar, who was hired by the Kremlin to discredit the opposition.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:15:38 am by CABL »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139705 on: November 06, 2018, 04:07:58 am »

That is an extremely dangerous weapon to hand to a government, even for the best of reasons. It is very easy for unscrupulous leaders to take "this form of speech is incredibly vile, so we will ban it" through "my opponents are dog-whistling for the banned form of speech" to "any speech that criticizes me is outlawed".

Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139706 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:22 am »

Doesn't change the fact that Nazis do not deserve free speech. That's one part of the current Russian policy that I agree with.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:13:04 am by KittyTac »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139707 on: November 06, 2018, 04:23:23 am »

Doesn't change the fact that Nazis do not deserve free speech. That's one part of the current Russian policy that I agree with.
There is a very good argument for this too. In the states, neo-nazi and anti-semitic groups have been fomenting hate, and the recent attack on a synagogue could arguably be traced back to letting them have their own angry echo chamber. Which is unfortunately back online now. Because why the fuck not. Now, yes, blanket censorship is bad. But the USA really needs to get a grip on the trend being worked up by our president of angry right-wing terrorists. There were enough attacks in a few days that a man killing two black citizens and sparing anyone white in a Kroger went almost un-noticed. This is a problem that the current administration refuses to recognize and deal with.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139708 on: November 06, 2018, 04:30:58 am »

That's not the point. The point is that eliminating them requires the forging of a sword, and that sword is all too easy to use for purposes of oppression. Thus, it better to never forge the sword at all. Or, to use a medical analogy, neo-nazis and other extremists are the flu - nasty, and potentially dangerous if we're not careful. Trying to ban them is deliberately exposing everybody to smallpox.

Right now, most of the nations that have such laws are unlikely to misuse them, because they are countries that spent time under the jackboot within living memory and thus have bone-in knowledge of the dangers. Others are ruled by "democratically elected" rulers that use those laws to become emperors in all but name.

There is a very good argument for this too. In the states, neo-nazi and anti-semitic groups have been fomenting hate, and the recent attack on a synagogue could arguably be traced back to letting them have their own angry echo chamber. Which is unfortunately back online now. Because why the fuck not. Now, yes, blanket censorship is bad. But the USA really needs to get a grip on the trend being worked up by our president of angry right-wing terrorists. There were enough attacks in a few days that a man killing two black citizens and sparing anyone white in a Kroger went almost un-noticed. This is a problem that the current administration refuses to recognize and deal with.

There's a lot of means to solve this problem that don't require open censorship, as evidenced by the fact that these extremist groups were effectively neutralized for at least thirty years before their recent resurgence. Their resurgence is primarily caused by an existing major party openly encouraging xenophobia in a "correct" way after 9/11, which is a problem that no law could stop. On the other hand, consider the damage that could be done if a President who has openly called for his opponents to be imprisoned for dangerous extremism actually had the power to do so.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139709 on: November 06, 2018, 04:35:30 am »

To be clear, I do not mean censorship as a means to this end. I mean to actually enforce our laws prohibiting the incitement of violence, and to actually investigate and break up terrorist cells currently going unmolested.

Is shutting down Gab censorship? Maybe. But they are a haven for non-protected hate speech under current law, as I understand it. Including but not limited to inciting violence.
Pages: 1 ... 9312 9313 [9314] 9315 9316 ... 11037