Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9241 9242 [9243] 9244 9245 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14553538 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138630 on: October 06, 2018, 11:56:36 am »

The fourth Indian friend i’ve talked to has dropped the ever-pleasant “English food is so easy, Indian food is so hard” line. I’m not sure if it’s racist of me to vehemently argue against that, but I do.

Western food isn’t easy. Western people are lazy.

Spoiler: Begin rant (click to show/hide)

Then again I do present the “mid 20’s bachelor” stereotype so most of the (admittedly stereotypical middle-aged housewives) assume I can’t tell a pot from a potato.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:58:41 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138631 on: October 06, 2018, 01:01:03 pm »

It never makes me fail to WTF how people can be absolute garbage on social media but as soon as they have to talk to you over the phone or in person they turn all normal and polite. My team handles some of our social media aspects, and people don't realize that the people you flip the fuck out at over the internet are often the literal same people you call on the phone.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138632 on: October 06, 2018, 01:15:01 pm »

It never makes me fail to WTF how people can be absolute garbage on social media but as soon as they have to talk to you over the phone or in person they turn all normal and polite. My team handles some of our social media aspects, and people don't realize that the people you flip the fuck out at over the internet are often the literal same people you call on the phone.

I think that it's mostly just that people still subconsciously assume "Internet = no consequences" and "Not internet = consequences" and automatically adjust their behavior accordingly.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138633 on: October 06, 2018, 01:19:58 pm »

Well, the GIFT (Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory) has been around for almost 15 years, and I don't think it will become nonrelevant anytime soon.
People will always be people. And people usually suck.

Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138634 on: October 06, 2018, 01:20:47 pm »

I think that it's mostly just that people still subconsciously assume "Internet = no consequences" and "Not internet = consequences" and automatically adjust their behavior accordingly.
THE CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138635 on: October 06, 2018, 01:23:11 pm »

The fourth Indian friend i’ve talked to has dropped the ever-pleasant “English food is so easy, Indian food is so hard” line.

...Eh? Like easy to make? Both have simple recipes and complicated recipes. I agree with you in that I don't understand what they were saying at all. I can knock up indian food in 10 mins and do some english food that takes multiple hours of preparation. The reverse is also true.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138636 on: October 06, 2018, 01:54:50 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:45:04 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138637 on: October 06, 2018, 02:08:50 pm »

The phenomen where all responsibiity vanishes if actions can only be attributed to a group and not individuals is more ancient and vast than the internet. Ever lived with A BUNCH of roommates?
Ever been in the army?

Everyone is held responsible, especially everyone who had nothing to do with any of it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #138638 on: October 06, 2018, 02:14:08 pm »

I was thinking that was going to the "nobody ever takes any responsibility for anything" point
Love, scriver~

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138639 on: October 06, 2018, 02:28:48 pm »

I don't think the army's a good counterexample, since the soldiers need to be actively "held" responsible by a disciplining authority. If left totally to their own devices, it's likely that enough soldiers would shirk their duties that even those not prone to shirking wouldn't see the point in acting faithfully. The same structure of behavior is seen in many places, such as how when modern businesses behave unethically and commit crimes they use competition as an excuse, and rely on the state to free them from the burden of responsibility for their choices by enforcing an even field with regulations.

In this way I think most claims about "human nature" are really only describing aspects highly particular to individuals (often nowhere close to universal in distribution and intensity) which appear with enough frequency that when these negative social traits offer personal advantage at the expense of others they spur the rest to emulate the behavior (with a "clean" conscience). In this sense (and here this is really a tangent) I think one of the worst aspects of a person's character is their willingness to indulge in the latter, since it will influence their behavior over the many situations that this might apply.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138640 on: October 06, 2018, 02:44:57 pm »

Also wow. Finland really went a different way linguistically. "Heim hjem hem ya know?"
"Oh yes, koti."
"Wait what dafuq d'joo say?!"
That implies Finnish started at the same place as the Norse-derived. Finnish is a completely different language - it's roots are closer to Hungarian than Swedish.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138641 on: October 06, 2018, 03:13:59 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:44:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138642 on: October 06, 2018, 03:24:46 pm »

So much variation in armies. I'd actually prefer to have the british armed forces deal with a protest I was at than, say, the London Metropolitan Police.

And not just because tanks kill you faster than cavalry charges.
One wheel short of a wagon

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138643 on: October 06, 2018, 03:28:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:44:46 pm by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #138644 on: October 06, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »

OMG all the people that can’t drive because they’re gawking at all the pretty colors of arboreal death and pulling over to take photos at points that say “DON’T PARK ON THIS SIDE OF THE ROAD YOU FUCKING DUMBASS” and then there are no cycle paths so you get stuck behind cyclists but in front of some shitbag who wants you to overtake. If you want to charge onto the other side of the road at a blind corner because the cyclists are there, be my fucking guest shithead.

Forests are so tranquil.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 9241 9242 [9243] 9244 9245 ... 11039