Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9092 9093 [9094] 9095 9096 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570381 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136395 on: August 06, 2018, 11:17:23 am »

I googled extended magazines for my two guns. Why does a pocket pistol need a 32 round magazine?! I want a 10 round mag for mine, and some Critical Defense rounds. Oughta be far more than sufficient.
'MERICA!

I can get Black Talon rounds for my wife's gun, a 32 round magazine, a laser-sight/flashlight combo, and a red dot sight.

I googled extended magazines for my two guns. Why does a pocket pistol need a 32 round magazine?! I want a 10 round mag for mine, and some Critical Defense rounds. Oughta be far more than sufficient.

There's a few reasons here. First, most gun manufacturers like to make their compact pistols accept the same mags as their larger offerings. So, there is a good chance that the 32 round magazines aren't specifically intended for your guns but will work in them.

Second, most compact pistols are chambered for .380 ACP or similar. This is a fairly low powered round, and has a statistically low stop rate in defensive situations, even with good shot placement. 10 rounds of good ammo is usually enough, but I can easily understand a desire for a bit more.

Yeah, mine is .380 and I want a ten round mag and Critical Defense hollowpoints. My wife has a 9mm. I'll probably get her some hollowpoints too.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136396 on: August 06, 2018, 11:37:05 am »

I was wondering at first why it didn't have a standard 10-round magazine. Then you said pocket.

The fun thing to note is that, even though you may have a 10-round magazine you can actually load 11 bullets if you chamber one. My father does this when he's on-duty. Which thankfully, he's never had to use.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136397 on: August 06, 2018, 11:57:24 am »

Leaving a round chambered is an insane safety hazard, just saying.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #136398 on: August 06, 2018, 11:58:48 am »

I thought hollowpoint bullets were illegal?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136399 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »

Not civilian, but yes military, but not US, but yes New Jersey.
Source: wiki
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136400 on: August 06, 2018, 12:35:26 pm »

Leaving a round chambered is an insane safety hazard, just saying.

An external safety helps mitigate that risk slightly but my gun hasn't got one. I only rack a round when I'm... Concerned.

Not civilian, but yes military, but not US, but yes New Jersey.
Source: wiki

This. Civilians can own hollowpoints and, depending on state and type, armor piercing rounds. Because Murica!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136401 on: August 06, 2018, 12:39:55 pm »

America: Civilians can own bullets that are considered a war crime to use.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136402 on: August 06, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »

Deer didn't sign the Geneva Convention.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136403 on: August 06, 2018, 12:44:08 pm »

My dad had Hydra-Shok rounds for his pistol when we were living in Nevada. So, yes, they're legal enough to buy and own legally. At least some places.

And yes, keeping a round in the chamber when just carrying it is holy fuck what are you doing. External safeties are great, yes, but still... And isn't Glock becoming more and more widely adopted? They at least have a series that only uses the double-trigger safety. That's the kind my dad had, and similar ones were the issued sidearms in the Norwegian military, which is partly why we weren't allowed to handle them because greenhorns cannot be trusted with anything.

I mean, I thought it was kinda stupid when I first heard about it... We're soldiers for fuck's sake, you're not gonna let us touch guns? But then halfway through the year Skippy McDeepinshit managed to fire off a blank when standing to attention in the assembly plaza, and that was on a rifle which has an external safety... And which also can't cycle the chamber with the blanks we were given, because it couldn't generate enough pressure to push the bolt back, so you had to pull the derpy-ass ambidextrous modern bolt for every single round when we were on training missions.

God damn I hated that gun.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136404 on: August 06, 2018, 12:51:48 pm »

Military and civilian scenarios are very different. A solid hit on a soldier is almost always enough to take him out of action even when it isn't a debilitating hit, and overpenetration is almost never a problem. Neithet of those is necessarily the case in civilian hunting or defensive use.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136405 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:50 pm »

Full metal jacket or solid core rounds or just about the worst thing to shoot someone with. As far as the injury they just leave a small hole in you and punch right through. Unless you hit a vital organ they're relatively ineffective at incapacitating someone quickly. They kill really slow. Hollow points are much more effective at taking someone down immediately because they shred your internal organs wherever they hit you. You bleed out much much faster and overall have a much more Humane death.
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136406 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:40 pm »

Full metal jacket or solid core rounds or just about the worst thing to shoot someone with. As far as the injury they just leave a small hole in you and punch right through. Unless you hit a vital organ they're relatively ineffective at incapacitating someone quickly. They kill really slow. Hollow points are much more effective at taking someone down immediately because they shred your internal organs wherever they hit you. You bleed out much much faster and overall have a much more Humane death.
This just in: more lethal weapons are more humane, because less lethal wounds are just as lethal.
What?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136407 on: August 06, 2018, 01:02:21 pm »

I know that IDF use Hollow point
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136408 on: August 06, 2018, 01:03:45 pm »

I believe the logic is that war should not be fought to kill every single person opposing you but to force surrender. If you shoot a dude in the chest and he can survive that and go home, that is preferable.

Same reason gassing huge swaths of troops and killing civilians is illegal.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136409 on: August 06, 2018, 01:06:17 pm »

More like: a fmj has a good chance of overpenetration which means collateral damage.
A hollowpoint is going to fuck up whoever you shoot it at, but the buck (haha) will stop with them, and it’s hopefully more likely to dissolve rather than ricochet if you miss.

The “hollow points are more humane because they shred you up” is a terrifying argument. A group of solid points are likely capable of causing shock on their own unless the target is hopped up on some variety of drugs i’m not qualified to guess at.

Edit: But yeah as above the rule of modern warfare seems to be “kill an enemy and you remove one man, wound an enemy and you remove three”.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:20:17 pm by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 9092 9093 [9094] 9095 9096 ... 11040