Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8986 8987 [8988] 8989 8990 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524051 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134805 on: June 14, 2018, 06:51:39 am »

As somebody with a laptop power supply that simultaneously works perfectly fine in the laptop, but also electrocutes me with an approximate unmeasured 220v if I touch the lead, or any metal parts of the laptop if it's plugged in, your story terrifies me.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134806 on: June 14, 2018, 07:25:25 am »

I had issues like that. I ended up going to a computer store and getting one direct from them. There used one in fact that they had in the store to use. Not new but guaranteed to work. I was thus able to get a replacement immediately and they just ordered a new one for themselves. So I would recommend going through a reputable computer store not the internet.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134807 on: June 14, 2018, 08:46:12 am »

I had issues like that. I ended up going to a computer store and getting one direct from them. There used one in fact that they had in the store to use. Not new but guaranteed to work. I was thus able to get a replacement immediately and they just ordered a new one for themselves. So I would recommend going through a reputable computer store not the internet.
Thing is, electronics are one of the many things that are notoriously expensive in Norway. For absolutely no reason. "Reputable computer store" would mean a tiny kiosk in a mall, where you can have the privilege of paying $50 for a power adapter, especially if it's not one of the 2-3 most commonly used ones (and this is not one of the 2-3 most commonly used ones).

...not that they'd actually have anything other than the 2-3 most commonly used ones anyways, mind.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #134808 on: June 14, 2018, 10:06:25 am »

As somebody with a laptop power supply that simultaneously works perfectly fine in the laptop, but also electrocutes me with an approximate unmeasured 220v if I touch the lead, or any metal parts of the laptop if it's plugged in, your story terrifies me.

This story terrifies me far more than his does. You really should get that looked at.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134809 on: June 14, 2018, 10:28:34 am »

I once used a somewhat defunct Xbox360 as a glorified MP3 charger. It could be worse.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134810 on: June 14, 2018, 10:32:20 am »

This story terrifies me far more than his does. You really should get that looked at.

I'd love to, but chargers are expensive. Also I don't use the laptop much, and it only shocks me if I'm grounded, i.e. standing on the floor. And the laptop body is plastic, so the only danger points are the USB ports.

But yes, I do need to get a replacement.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134811 on: June 14, 2018, 11:21:26 am »

Age of Sigmar made me WTF today.   

Edit: actually it made me pretty Sad too, but WTF was the first reaction so in here it goes.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134812 on: June 14, 2018, 04:16:32 pm »

I once used a somewhat defunct Xbox360 as a glorified MP3 charger. It could be worse.

I'll give you worse. Back when the SNES was a modern console, the RF adapter pin(back when TVs had the pain-in-the-ass screw-in port for that) broke off. Strangely enough, the RF adapter for the Sega Genesis works just fine for the SNES... until that pin broke too. I used a piece of tin/aluminum foil to connect the RF adapter to the TV.

It worked by the way. Not sure how I kept the foil attached, though, I don't think I secured it with anything. Also, the same RF adapters above were also compatible with the original NES, if I remember correctly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #134813 on: June 14, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »

Weirdo American screw nonsense, man. Mine was just like a metal tube that slid over/into the port on the TV.

Also, the power cable for the SNES worked with my sister’s keyboard, so that was useful when we lost that cable.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #134814 on: June 14, 2018, 10:00:24 pm »

I'd love to, but chargers are expensive. Also I don't use the laptop much, and it only shocks me if I'm grounded, i.e. standing on the floor. And the laptop body is plastic, so the only danger points are the USB ports.

But yes, I do need to get a replacement.
I'm starting to whether tech poverty is a dad thing or an indian thing or both.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134815 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:21 pm »

I'm starting to whether tech poverty is a dad thing or an indian thing or both.

Actually, I checked again, and found some with a reasonable price.

But yes, it's a bit of both.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134816 on: June 14, 2018, 10:32:54 pm »

"tech poverty"

Is that what the kids are calling "Using something until it literally wears the shit out, like-- totally. Not even repairable with solder and shrink tubing like worn out." these days?

Cause like--- I have been doing that since I was a little kid.  I have a burgeoning collection of ancient network gear these days. Just deployed a bit of that kit at a co-worker's place recently, so they could mooch free wifi from across the street. (he is renting one of the cottages that the facility owns, while he sorts out some personal/familial problems. He is mooching the free wifi from the facility.)

The stuff still works, and so I hold on to it. 

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134817 on: June 14, 2018, 10:45:55 pm »

I think it might be what the kids call using devices so old and worn they're physically dangerous, as in Japa's case.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134818 on: June 14, 2018, 11:33:08 pm »

For the past 3 days I thought the forum was down. But apparently it isn't, it's just EXTREMELY slow to load. What's up with that?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134819 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:23 pm »

ur intertubes are clogged. don't be ashamed, it happens to all older men
Pages: 1 ... 8986 8987 [8988] 8989 8990 ... 11037