Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8940 8941 [8942] 8943 8944 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513670 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134115 on: May 28, 2018, 06:30:53 am »

Ok, I am not terribly superstitious or anything, BUT--

At this facility, pretty much EVERY resident that reaches end of life/extreme dementia reports seeing a little boy and a little girl enter their rooms and playing/running down the hall.

Now, I remind you that this is from people who are no longer in their right minds, and so cannot report a complex narrative.
One of the more interesting theories is about magnetic fields and ghost hauntings.

http://www.indiana.edu/~brain/magnetic-fields-in-haunted-houses/
For example, Laythe and Owen (2013) found that spikes in electromagnetic/ geomagnetic field activity in a haunted house with no electricity were associated with video- and audio-recorded anomalous events (e.g., human-shaped shadows or audio voices of children who were not present).

... which might help people who think they're going mad to rest assured that there are explanations for this stuff. Some "hauntings" have in fact been linked to faulty wiring in some cases.

Interesting that only those patients reported it then. Perhaps such people are more sensitive to such fields.

Oh, and wierd, while it may be magnetic fields, ghosts, magnetic imprints that are ghosts, or somethng else entirely, if the reports are consistent, it is definitely something.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134116 on: May 28, 2018, 06:35:59 am »

Clearly, you must tell them to ask for their names the next time they see them, then have them engrave slabs as a workshop activity.
I only got the reference at the last portion :P

But you're not alone there wierd! We've got ALL MANNERS OF STORIES LIKE THAT here in the Philippines--consistent ones, with consistent details from people who have never met or had any association, primary or secondary (through others), with each other. It's pretty cool that in response to these, we've developed a culture of respect at that. :))

It's become a bit of an "in-joke" to mention that the resident has started seeing 'the ghost kids'.  Sometimes the residents will assert that the "ghost kids" are ill-behaved, and I soothe them by telling them that I will give the kids a time out, or a spanking.  You would be surprised how often that works. 

On the other, we also all have this "understood" meaning behind saying that somebody has started seeing the ghost kids-- as it typically means either a major illness, a major trauma, or other major event is likely to happen, or has already happened.  Sometimes I wish I really COULD spank the ghost kids-- Some of the things residents have reported them doing genuinely deserve a good whack on the bum. :P

And yes-- it is quite consistent, with residents in completely different wings that spend ZERO time together reporting the same basic sightings of a little boy and a little girl of about 4 years age running roughshod all over the facility.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:39:10 am by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134119 on: May 28, 2018, 07:23:55 am »

didn't OG Ghostbusters have a gorilla and a vaguely scoobydoo like feel?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #134120 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:16 am »

didn't OG Ghostbusters have a gorilla and a vaguely scoobydoo like feel?
take this guy to the street and shoot him
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134122 on: May 28, 2018, 07:40:02 am »

The only bustin I want to do to those ghost kids is the corporal punishment kind.

And yes, it WOULD make me feel good.

(If the ghost kids want to haunt the building, that's their business, but when they disturb my residents and make them even crazier than they already are, at their most vulnerable points in the end of their lives, that I take exception to. No pestering the the old people. they can play hide and seek somewhere else.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:45:30 am by wierd »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134123 on: May 28, 2018, 07:48:31 am »

... I could have done without knowing you get off on beating undead children, honestly.

Please don't explain any further what sort of busting you do while spanking the restless dead of minors.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134124 on: May 28, 2018, 07:54:40 am »

You misunderstand.

See, it isnt that I enjoy harming children, ghostly or otherwise.  I enjoy giving peace and quiet to people who are in pain and are suffering, and  who dont need some little ghost shits making it worse. M'kay? :P

If beating their little transparent asses a little gets the point across that they should not pester the lady dieing from terminal bone cancer, it will certainly make me feel good.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134125 on: May 28, 2018, 08:04:59 am »

OOC bait is trap

P:  Is it weird that I think my kettle's whistle sounds vaguely like the Silent Hill airraid horn?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:08:10 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134126 on: May 28, 2018, 08:12:35 am »

RE: bait

Probably.

Just I take the environment of my residents, their care, and their comfort very seriously. We are talking people that routinely describe systemic pain as 8 and higher on the "1 to 10" pain scale here. People on hospice, that need all the comfort they can get before they go.

VERY seriously. Seriously enough to resort to physical violence if needed, regardless of the supernatural nature of the problem. Those people suffer e-fucking-nuff, ok?  I would titter with glee opening up that ghostbuster confinement trap under their little spoiled asses, and would hold them in "Time out" in the containment grid until they learn to leave my residents alone.  I really dont care if they want to haunt the building otherwise-- shit, they can mess with us staff all they want--- just leave the residents alone.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134127 on: May 28, 2018, 08:15:44 am »

One of the more interesting theories is about magnetic fields and ghost hauntings.

http://www.indiana.edu/~brain/magnetic-fields-in-haunted-houses/
For example, Laythe and Owen (2013) found that spikes in electromagnetic/ geomagnetic field activity in a haunted house with no electricity were associated with video- and audio-recorded anomalous events (e.g., human-shaped shadows or audio voices of children who were not present).

... which might help people who think they're going mad to rest assured that there are explanations for this stuff. Some "hauntings" have in fact been linked to faulty wiring in some cases.

As much as I like the idea, I can't take any source that is about energy healing seriously...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134128 on: May 28, 2018, 08:19:51 am »

If they wired the electricity like they wired the ethernet drops, it could very well be leaking strange eddy currents everywhere.

Shit, don't get me started. I'm triggered enough about how this phenomenon causes disturbance in my residents already.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134129 on: May 28, 2018, 08:32:37 am »

If you want, the same deal, but reported by the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3046179.stm
At both Hampton Court Palace, in Surrey, and the South Bridge Vaults in Edinburgh, the variance in local magnetic fields was highest in the areas thought to be most haunted, and lowest in areas where people typically did not record experiencing ghostly phenomena.

The variations in magnetic fields were incredibly small - about 100 times less than you get from sitting about a metre away from your TV - but the researchers think the findings are significant.

"The correlations between ghostly activity and magnetic variance were relatively large and tie in with laboratory findings that suggest varying magnetic fields have a measurable effect on human physiology," said Dr Paul Stevens, of the Koestler Parapsychology Unit at Edinburgh University, who obtained the magnetic field measurements at both sites.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2003/11/27/2857204.htm
Almost 700 naive but brave volunteers took part in the studies, reporting any strange or eerie feelings they had while walking through the Vaults or the Palace. Meanwhile, the sneaky scientists were recording a variety of environmental factors such as light, temperature, room dimensions and magnetic fields progressing through the air.

At the end of the study, recently published in the British Journal of Psychology, it was found that people consistently reported unusual experiences in the same areas of the Vaults or the Palace.

The experiences ranged from odd odours and changes in temperature to apparitions and a sense of being watched. Even though the participants walked through many different rooms and had no knowledge of what other people had previously reported, only certain rooms were consistently found to generate the uneasy emotions, forcing the investigators to accept that these rooms may in fact be 'haunted.'

Or

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ghost-lusters-if-you-want/

The 17-year-old girl, who had sustained mild brain damage at birth, said she also felt the presence of an invisible baby perched on her left shoulder.

When Persinger and his colleagues investigated (at the behest of the girl's mother), they found an electric clock next to the bed that was about 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) from where she placed her head when she slept. Tests showed that the clock generated electromagnetic pulses with waveforms similar to those found to trigger epileptic seizures in rats and humans. When the clock was removed, the visions stopped. Persinger determined that the clock, in combination with the girl's brain injury, were highly likely to have been contributing factors to the perceived nocturnal visits.

e.g. if every room had the same piece of gear which was inadvertently sending out pulses of just the right frequency, each resident could be experiencing the same sort of unease. Then, they talk to each other and they convince themselves it's from a shared "haunting" or other supernatural explanation.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:53:11 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8940 8941 [8942] 8943 8944 ... 11037