Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8883 8884 [8885] 8886 8887 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517724 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133260 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:45 am »

The point about it being a staple not making sense is that there's just not enough meat on a wild avocado for it to form a significant part of the diet. It would be like claiming raspberries were a staple part of the hunter-gatherer diet or something. Clearly not true, since wild raspberries aren't really sufficient to base a diet around: they would have been a supplemental food source among dozens of supplemental food sources that would have been exploited on an ad-hoc basis. It would be like claiming christmas pudding forms a staple part of the English diet because they have it at Christmas.

For humans, sure. But there's likely some kind of avocado fly or worm that considers it a staple food source and has existed for tens of thousands of years. Hence the statement about non-humans.

...if you can't tell, I'm taking the piss.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133261 on: April 29, 2018, 11:26:24 am »

Apparently the avocado was the staple diet of a number of megafauna - e.g. they'd eat down a whole wild avocado in one bite, digest the outer layer then poop out the large seed miles away. Really, the avocado was tricking them that they were eating a big meal, but in fact, almost all of it wasn't digestible.

And then they all died out, so that puts a black mark on the "staple diet" thing for animals :) - the type of animal that the avocado evolved for didn't last, and were actually fooled by the avocado into filling their bellies with non-edible food. That's why the thin outer flesh of the wild avocado is so tasty - it needs to be to trick the stupid animals to eat it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:28:50 am by Reelya »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #133262 on: April 29, 2018, 01:28:22 pm »

I was playing TF2 this morning, and someone screeched over the mic.

I’m almost certain my ears are ringing from that.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #133263 on: April 29, 2018, 01:34:43 pm »

I was playing TF2 this morning, and someone screeched over the mic.

I’m almost certain my ears are ringing from that.
yeah that's the tf2 community, thankfully I haven't run into people like that (just little kids and people mic spamming)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #133264 on: April 29, 2018, 01:37:55 pm »

War has changed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133265 on: April 29, 2018, 03:02:22 pm »

There's a bit of an argument going on on Twitter. One vegan bought a girl some non-vegan icecream, another vegan decided that cannot stand. He posted up her instagram and asked people to have a "Conversation" with her about how she's not a vegan and is totally in the wrong.

Needless to say, very few people are happy with the guy. He's gone a bit nuts, and seems to be operating under the impression that when someone says something about you, replying "no u" then blocking them wins the argument. He also thinks that everyone that doesn't agree with him is mental (He's said this several times). You do have to question just how deluded you have to be to act like that, at times. I mean, I get where he's coming from, but he really needs to look up "veganism" in the dictionary.
I don't know, I can understand where he's coming from. By buying that ice cream she's supporting the dairy industry.
Of course, his response sounds... kind of exhausting to me. Personally I think it seems easier to just support people who make the effort to be vegan, rather than nitpicking their efforts and attacking them for small misdeeds such as that. I guess he's just a better vegan than I.

War has changed.
This made me chuckle. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133266 on: April 29, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »

The holier than thou act epitomized by that tweet actually encourages people to do the opposite of what he wants however. e.g. you could easily encourage people to go buy ice cream and tweet them eating it to him.

Basically, being browbeaten by sanctimonious people doesn't do a single thing to promote a cause, whether that's a religious belief or secular cause.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:11:03 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133267 on: April 29, 2018, 04:17:25 pm »

As a person who lives in (well, near) a dairy-producing area, let me just say, please do support the dairy industry. My personal livelihood doesn't particularly depend on it, but I know firsthand that the usual reasons people have for not supporting it are nonsense.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133268 on: April 29, 2018, 04:36:04 pm »

Ahaha. I myself grew up in a "dairy-producing area" (heck, there was a dairy farm attached to my highschool) and unless your idea of the usual reasons for boycotting dairy is drastically different to mine, I'm calling BS.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133269 on: April 29, 2018, 04:41:07 pm »

*Gasp!*

He just called BS on calling nonsense! It's a double-threat event!

Everyone, remember your training.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #133270 on: April 29, 2018, 04:44:44 pm »

Er... Er... popcorn?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133271 on: April 29, 2018, 04:57:12 pm »

You're all nonsense.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133272 on: April 29, 2018, 04:59:21 pm »

I will eat all the meat I'll want and no one can stop me.

*looks at wallet*

Crap, communism made me vegan!!!! I hate you Chavez and Maduro!!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #133273 on: April 29, 2018, 06:42:56 pm »

I had 2 seperate people come out to me today.  Guy and gal.  Or 2 gals.  w.e.

like wtf guys.  You know I'm not gay, right?

Like, wtf, Piss, you know this isn't the WTF thread, right?
wtf
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133274 on: April 29, 2018, 08:34:31 pm »

Ahaha. I myself grew up in a "dairy-producing area" (heck, there was a dairy farm attached to my highschool) and unless your idea of the usual reasons for boycotting dairy is drastically different to mine, I'm calling BS.   
Eh, where are you talking about, then? Things are pretty low-industrial here, happy cows wandering around in nice wide pastures and such. And the mooing some nights, god, you can hear it all the way here, and I'm in the middle of the forest. So I guess what I'm saying is, support my personal upstate-New-York dairy industry. :P
Pages: 1 ... 8883 8884 [8885] 8886 8887 ... 11037