Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8844 8845 [8846] 8847 8848 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13680351 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132675 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:03 am »

Ao we exist, but nothing existed before us, unless it was billions of years old, unless it was our future selves, unless the dinosaurs were really good at hiding carbon emissions. The Republicans would love them.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132676 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:11 am »

And yet people debate he existence of god all the time... Never once considering that it is not worth the effort, because god does not seem to be willing to submit to testing, and so cannot be tested for, and as a consequence, has no true meaning to pursue. :P  (what point is there in worshiping something that does not respond to worship? ;P)
Eh? No, plenty of people have considered that. It's one of the bitsies you could file under apatheism, off the top of my head, and probably other stuff, too.

Mind you, there's various points that still exist. Fun, for one :P

Well, if you find futile pontification and navel gazing to be fun, well more power to you.  I just hold that while I have no specific knowledge of any existing god, evidence suggests that should such a being exist, it does not give a shit-- and therefor is not something I care to spend my limited lifetime contemplating in great detail. :P

CP:  The existence of god is the most frequently tabled example of arguing about something that cannot be proven-- eg, the very kind of thing the razor cited is about, generally.  It applies to any such argument where the bounds are outside the ability to test.  Take for instance, most string theories.

John Hick pointed out that we'll know about God when we die, because of the afterlife happening or not :P

Memes aside, your not percieving a special kind of experience or feeling that would suggest to you that there is a God is actually pretty good evidence that God as many common Christian groups portray him does not exist. So you just gave us an argument against God's existence.

Also Problem of Evil is a problem, which indicates we can test for God's existence to some extent. (Though this gets into the old, "would a Christian actually ever acknowledge that God didn't seem to exist" problem, which is of little interest to me, not being a Christian.)
One wheel short of a wagon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132677 on: April 15, 2018, 09:55:32 am »

And yet people debate he existence of god all the time... Never once considering that it is not worth the effort, because god does not seem to be willing to submit to testing, and so cannot be tested for, and as a consequence, has no true meaning to pursue. :P  (what point is there in worshiping something that does not respond to worship? ;P)
Eh? No, plenty of people have considered that. It's one of the bitsies you could file under apatheism, off the top of my head, and probably other stuff, too.

Mind you, there's various points that still exist. Fun, for one :P

Well, if you find futile pontification and navel gazing to be fun, well more power to you.  I just hold that while I have no specific knowledge of any existing god, evidence suggests that should such a being exist, it does not give a shit-- and therefor is not something I care to spend my limited lifetime contemplating in great detail. :P

CP:  The existence of god is the most frequently tabled example of arguing about something that cannot be proven-- eg, the very kind of thing the razor cited is about, generally.  It applies to any such argument where the bounds are outside the ability to test.  Take for instance, most string theories.

John Hick pointed out that we'll know about God when we die, because of the afterlife happening or not :P

Memes aside, your not percieving a special kind of experience or feeling that would suggest to you that there is a God is actually pretty good evidence that God as many common Christian groups portray him does not exist. So you just gave us an argument against God's existence.

Also Problem of Evil is a problem, which indicates we can test for God's existence to some extent. (Though this gets into the old, "would a Christian actually ever acknowledge that God didn't seem to exist" problem, which is of little interest to me, not being a Christian.)

No, the bible conveniently evades that problem.  See also "The rain falls of the wicked and the just alike." (Mathew 5:45)

In other words, Evil exists in the world for reasons God does not explain, nor will he, and the consequences of Evil affect everyone.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132678 on: April 15, 2018, 09:56:17 am »

Called the tech support and they lied about chorus outages in my area cause i was watching the map during the call.
I've looked in my ceiling to see if rats had damaged the interior line. Nothing was seen to make me think its on my side. No adverse weather had caused its outages the two weeks ago it cut off. They even sent out a new modem in the time I was out of town but it comes down to logging a fault with Chorus who own the lines and im scared to pay the fee. Expected to be over 200 bucks but the cunts wont tell me the fee cause they are evasive.
Just wanted to rant.
Thanks
it was the rats; the slithering scurrying rats whose scampering will never let me sleep; the daemon rats that race behind the padding in this room and beckon me down to greater horrors than I have ever known; the rats they can never hear; the rats, the rats in the walls.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132679 on: April 15, 2018, 10:34:59 am »

You. Cannot. Turn. Your. Back. To. Any. Possibility.
This is why I'm focused on gaining weight. When my belly finally wraps all the way around, I will no longer have a back to turn!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #132680 on: April 15, 2018, 11:05:08 am »

My fort got something worse than a Soap Maker in the migrant wave... A politician.

Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132681 on: April 15, 2018, 11:09:16 am »

Professional Liar and Great Lyer.

Though I haven't played DF in a very long time so I don't know what those social skills are even used for.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132682 on: April 15, 2018, 11:17:31 am »

It'd be great if a dwarf's skill in lying made all their other skills show up as being an appropriate number of levels higher than they actually are.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #132683 on: April 15, 2018, 11:45:16 am »

McSpindoctorwannabe also showed up in the same migrant wave:

Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132684 on: April 15, 2018, 11:53:07 am »

You know, they mean this kind of spinning, right?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132685 on: April 15, 2018, 12:07:24 pm »

You know, they mean this kind of spinning, right?

That's just what they want you to think!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132686 on: April 15, 2018, 12:08:02 pm »

cutest old womam ever
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132687 on: April 15, 2018, 01:06:00 pm »

No, the bible conveniently evades that problem.  See also "The rain falls of the wicked and the just alike." (Mathew 5:45)

In other words, Evil exists in the world for reasons God does not explain, nor will he, and the consequences of Evil affect everyone.
I'm going to disagree there.  The Bible's pretty explicit about how "evil" stems from individuals putting themselves higher than God or even just merely higher than their neighbors.  That's why it effects everyone - because the immediate effect of being selfish is generally taking from someone or something else. I mean, even the original sin was mankind taking the fruit of knowledge of good and evil - mankind putting itself in a place where it knows better than God.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132688 on: April 15, 2018, 01:19:22 pm »

I'm going to disagree there.  The Bible's pretty explicit about how "evil" stems from individuals putting themselves higher than God or even just merely higher than their neighbors.  That's why it effects everyone - because the immediate effect of being selfish is generally taking from someone or something else. I mean, even the original sin was mankind taking the fruit of knowledge of good and evil - mankind putting itself in a place where it knows better than God.
This is clearly not true. Insofar as the Bible  is explicit about anything (which is... a different can of beans altogether), the most direct text addressing the problem of evil is the Book of Job... in which the bad things that happen to Job are for arcane reasons not related at all to Job's character, and in fact God outright refuses to explain what actually transgressed.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132689 on: April 15, 2018, 01:52:35 pm »

This is clearly not true. Insofar as the Bible  is explicit about anything (which is... a different can of beans altogether), the most direct text addressing the problem of evil is the Book of Job... in which the bad things that happen to Job are for arcane reasons not related at all to Job's character, and in fact God outright refuses to explain what actually transgressed.
By "God refuses to explain what actually transgressed" do you mean he didn't explain it to Job? Or it wasn't explained to the reader?  It's fairly well spelled out to the reader.  I'd caution not to confuse Job as a history book though - that's not its literary style.  The whole Bible is about how your lot in life (or death) has nothing to do with your actions but wholly on God's actions and promises.  Sadly humans really like to tie afterlife to works though, so even after Christ the Christian church has done a really fine job of tying salvation back to works when that was a very specific thing that Jesus taught against.

A risky thought - have we ever had a Bible discussion thread? Would it even be possible to have such a thread without it getting locked in twelve* seconds?
Pages: 1 ... 8844 8845 [8846] 8847 8848 ... 11004