Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8813 8814 [8815] 8816 8817 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14525562 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132210 on: March 31, 2018, 10:26:00 pm »

Oh, good!
Be sure to back things up, anyway!  Helps with misplaced files, but also hard drive failure.  It's both unlikely and inevitable.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132211 on: March 31, 2018, 10:48:21 pm »

Assistant manager left me a note saying my work last night was unacceptable because I did not get my side tasks done.  I am main cashier.  My task is to run the cash register everything else is secondary.  Last night I doubled usual sales due to easter, I could not get off register long enough to finish any side tasks.  Tonight it was the same deal, about $300 busier in fact, I also did not get my side tasks done.   

Other shift managers say not to worry about it.  Every write up she has written has been overturned by the general manager.  The team leads and shift managers all claim she does not even do her own job half the time.  My WTF is why if no-one else agrees with any of her administrative decisions, and even her boss overturns her writeups, why is she still assistant manager?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132212 on: March 31, 2018, 10:49:57 pm »

My WTF is why if no-one else agrees with any of her administrative decisions, and even her boss overturns her writeups, why is she still assistant manager?
Office politics man. She has connections with some even-higher-ups and so is in a secure position even if she doesn't do her job very well.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #132213 on: March 31, 2018, 10:52:23 pm »

Speaking hypothetically, I see two main possibilities.

Most likely, they can't afford to not have that slot filled. A new hire (even one hired from the ranks) is going to have to spend a great deal of time learning the management duties, and quite likely the duties of the people being managed. During that time, the new person will be operating at maybe %20 efficiency. If the current manager is working at %50, then she's still better than a new person, so they'll likely carry her until she does something too outrageous to overlook.

Alternatively, she has connections.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #132214 on: March 31, 2018, 10:55:38 pm »

Presumably it would be more hassle than it’s worth to sack her. If she is assistant-GM, that’s a challenging position to refill.

Ninja’d

Ah well. In my place of work it seems to go stocker>sales>assistant department manager>department manager>assistant GM>GM, all slots requiring additional training. If she’s replaced by a department person, that spot needs refilled by their assistant, which needs filled by someone else and so on down the line.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132215 on: March 31, 2018, 11:05:49 pm »

The main thing I'm worried about is that I am in line to become a team lead. (mostly because the team lead for cashiers is on maternity and shown she does not want to return) 

If these bad things keep cropping up it may jeopardize that.  Because what I understand, the district manager has to approve my promotion, and whenever one of these things happen the district manager sees it.  While there are not any other cashiers interested in the position, they have shown they will happily leave these positions blank if they don't feel they have a fitting person to fill.

EDIT: And yea she's assistant GM  We Have associate(cashiers, stockers, etc)<team lead< shift lead(basically just a team lead that's paid more because they can do everything)< Assistant GM < GM (the main manager far as I'm concerned) < District Manager < Regional Manager < Who knows?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:14:17 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #132216 on: April 01, 2018, 12:25:40 am »

I appear to have acquired roughly a terabyte of very firmly hidden files on one of my drives, or very used space. Worse, it's eaten my picture folder there, which has been a subject of great irritation.

The WTF?

Windows doesn't auto-back-up your drives aside from C. So the lost pics? Unless Recuva can grab them somehow, I lost a good 500+ pics. And given I run a quest... yeah. Really hoping I can pull them out of the luminous aether. Somehow. Ugh.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132217 on: April 01, 2018, 01:16:34 am »

This is windows. It uses NTFS. NTFS stores an epic shitton of metadata. It does not do secure erases. This is not the system volume, so there should not be constant writes being committed.

1) DO NOT WRITE TO THIS VOLUME.
2) Get Testdisk and photorec.
3 Run them. (if testdisk fails to recover the files, let photorec grunt on it.)
4) Profit

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132218 on: April 01, 2018, 02:38:47 pm »

My sisters PS4 stopped working properly some weeks ago. She'd get sounds but the screen was just black and the PS4 had a pulsing blue light instead of the usual white.
After a lot of digging around on the internet she found an obscure post about some older TVs sometimes losing compability with the PS4 after a patch. After more digging she found that she could fix it by updating the firmware on her TV (which worked).

Updating. The software. Of your friggin TV.
If we ever needed a sign that something is wrong with current gen consoles then this is it. Reliving hardware/software issues that we had already consigned to the same fate as the dodo 15 years ago.

Or to quote her: "Who knew my PS4 is running on Windows ME?"
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132219 on: April 01, 2018, 02:45:21 pm »

[don't buy them]

Money talks
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132220 on: April 01, 2018, 04:28:50 pm »

I'm surprised the solution wasn't "Buy a new tv"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132221 on: April 01, 2018, 04:35:05 pm »

The solution is to buy another $350 console, because the $500 in games and $150 in micro-transactions you've already spent on this-gen of system would otherwise be such a colossal waste.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132222 on: April 01, 2018, 04:36:13 pm »

I mean, with electronics as advanced as they are today, almost everything is going to be running some sort of software. At least be grateful that’s the only thing you had to do. :P
Black lives matter.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #132223 on: April 01, 2018, 09:30:48 pm »

Snoooooow. Why is it snowing. ;.;
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132224 on: April 01, 2018, 11:48:11 pm »

According to whats on tv right now, your house might be haunted.

Also, because nature hates you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 8813 8814 [8815] 8816 8817 ... 11037