Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8766 8767 [8768] 8769 8770 ... 11002

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13646896 times)

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131505 on: March 15, 2018, 11:45:55 am »

the new bot is interesting, just trying to sell you a fake id for some reason.

edit: I did a google search of the email and turns out this bot is everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:00:19 pm by deathpunch578 »
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131506 on: March 15, 2018, 01:19:41 pm »

Now, just about EVERYONE that is staff has been sexually groped by this woman, several times over, and there is basically nothing we can do about it because the woman is not in her right mind.
Are you sure? In their right mind or not, laws against sexual assault are not just there to hold the one doing it accountable, but also to protect people from falling victim to it.
So it seems that you can relativate it and laugh it off, no big deal.

But what about people who don't fancy being touched, either because of principle or earlier trauma? Are they disqualified to work in psychiatry? Would you get fired if you demand measures are taken to stop the woman from sexually assaulting people (straightjacket?) That would be rather discriminatory, and either in complete disregard to every person's right to the integrity of their own body, or very blunt in the case of 'sorry lass, because your daddy / teacher / priest / mom touched you in bad places when you were 9, and you can't stand being touched sexually, you are disqualified from pursueing a career that involves working with psychiatric patients'. I think that the protection of the individual (that is involuntarily sexually assaulting people) does not outweigh the protection of the group (people who don't like being groped).
If a patient is repeatedly violent and breaks staff bones, even after repeated attempt at non-physically restrictive correction (isolation ward/chill-out room/talks with the shrink), it's straightjacket and anti-spitting mask (or just a huge dose of government approved harddrugs). Just because being grabbed by the balls or in the pussy doesn't put you in hospital doesn't mean that it won't be even more traumatizing than breaking a bone to quite a few people.

Are you sure that the 'nothing we can do about it' comes from a culture in some branches of healthcare where nurses and other non-senior staff don't dare to stand up for their rights because they are replacable?

(I think your management needs to be careful, damage claims in the US are insane, all it takes for bankrupcy is one groped employee to claim sexual trauma and sue for millions for not providing a safe work environment.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:26:06 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131507 on: March 15, 2018, 01:29:22 pm »

But what about people who don't fancy being touched, either because of principle or earlier trauma? Are they disqualified to work in psychiatry?
I'm going to go with "yes". That's like being a surgeon who's traumatised by the sight of blood.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131508 on: March 15, 2018, 01:34:17 pm »

Haemophobia isn't anywhere near as common as sexual trauma though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131509 on: March 15, 2018, 01:34:35 pm »

But what about people who don't fancy being touched, either because of principle or earlier trauma? Are they disqualified to work in psychiatry?
I'm going to go with "yes". That's like being a surgeon who's traumatised by the sight of blood.
Not really. Every surgeon will be dealing with blood, while not every psychiatrist is going to engage with people who do the whole “sexual inappropriateness” dealio.

Psychiatrists generally also have counseling available to them, given what they have to deal with.

Further, someone with a fear of blood will likely be turned off from a medical career anyway, while someone who has experienced trauma may want to help other people deal with it in the future.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131510 on: March 15, 2018, 01:53:06 pm »

(I think your management needs to be careful, damage claims in the US are insane, all it takes for bankrupcy is one groped employee to claim sexual trauma and sue for millions for not providing a safe work environment.)

Damage claims in the US are not anywhere close to what urban myth has turned them into. The only way damages soar that high is when the judge orders "punitive' damages, which is generally reserved for "You fuckwits knew that this was happening, could easily have fixed it, but decided that it would be cheaper not to" or "The case against you was blindingly obvious, you should have settled immediately, and you decided to try to win via exhaustion" type cases. There is a very good reason why nearly every "Goony is suing this place for stupid reasons, and he's asking for MILLIONS!" story includes a line along the lines of "Goony is acting as his own attorney".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131511 on: March 15, 2018, 04:36:29 pm »

As I was getting ready for work, I put my computer in Sleep mode as usual. It wakes up. I put it to sleep again, it wakes up again. And then again. I check Task Manager for any odd processes, then shut it down, and it turns itself back on. I turn off the power supply.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131512 on: March 15, 2018, 04:40:11 pm »

Go through your hardware list in Device Manager and turn off "allow this device to wake computer" on every component. This will make it so only the power button can wake the computer up.

Still wakes up by itself sometimes.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #131513 on: March 15, 2018, 06:32:58 pm »

Some people in Florida literally had a bridge dropped on them today.

Damn!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131514 on: March 15, 2018, 06:52:25 pm »

Thats... a touch insensitive there. But yeah, it's kind of a wtf because it's a brand new bridge and was still being worked on.

There are reports of the companies working on it having been blamed for shoddy work before, two bridges failed before, one injured someone and this time people got killed.

Probably shouldn't draw conclusions yet, but having a brand new bridge that was still being worked on collapse and kill people is a very big deal.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:55:07 pm by smjjames »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131515 on: March 15, 2018, 07:03:20 pm »

Somewhere, an engineer is clasping his head in despair.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131516 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:20 pm »

Somewhere, an engineer is fleeing the country.
FTFY
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #131517 on: March 15, 2018, 08:37:54 pm »

Or at least fleeing florida. Haven't paid much attention to it, but with family that retired from roadwork in this friggin' swamp, let's just say my surprise if there was corruption or cut corners involved with the fall would be as existent as the nonexistent gods.*

* And that isn't making a statement on the existence of divinity, per se. It's specifically referencing whatever ones don't exist.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131518 on: March 15, 2018, 08:45:22 pm »

Plus the fact that both companies involved (it's a joint build venture) have been accused of shoddy work in the past. I've heard people say that the method used to build (accelerated bridge construction) is extremely well detailed and rigorous with exacting steps and is supposed to be heavily documented, so, deviations or problems in it should be detected.

There was alo something about the specific method being used, modularity or something, being done for the first time ever, not sure what that was about.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #131519 on: March 15, 2018, 08:49:48 pm »

Or at least fleeing florida. Haven't paid much attention to it, but with family that retired from roadwork in this friggin' swamp, let's just say my surprise if there was corruption or cut corners involved with the fall would be as existent as the nonexistent gods.*

* And that isn't making a statement on the existence of divinity, per se. It's specifically referencing whatever ones don't exist.
I find this offensive to my beliefs, as I believe in the specific gods that do not exist. how dare you imply that nonexistent gods are nonexistent
(Really though, if anything were capable of existing despite not existing, it would be a god.)
Pages: 1 ... 8766 8767 [8768] 8769 8770 ... 11002