Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8724 8725 [8726] 8727 8728 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14550068 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130875 on: February 13, 2018, 04:37:42 pm »

Related to that, I got impaled on my thumb by a splinter of broccoli, specifically the little round leaf things part. Just one of them and a small bit of soft broccoli stem some fucking how got lodged in my skin. I get the weirdest vegetable related injuries. A piece of a corn cob once slit my palm open like I'd run a razor across it.
It's the new razor blades in apples. Knives in corn cobs.

KNIVES IN CORN COBS, COMING THIS YEAR TO THEATERS.

The hero is obviously an anthropomorphized corn on the cob who fights for the freedom of his people.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130876 on: February 13, 2018, 04:38:45 pm »

Related to that, I got stabbed in the middle finger by a shard of glass a couple days ago.

It's left a tiny black dot for a scab. It was a deep cut but not wide at all.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #130877 on: February 13, 2018, 04:46:24 pm »

I got a paper cut by accidently backhanding a cardboard box
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130878 on: February 13, 2018, 05:08:46 pm »

Goodness me, all the traffic lights are down around here. This is an area that has extremely chaotic traffic at the best of times... this is quite entertaining. Somehow all these hordes of impatient drivers are managing to non-verbally negotiate their passage through all these major intersections. :o

Wonder if this is to do with the near-cyclonic weather we're having. Oh well, wish me luck not getting mown down on the way to work.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130879 on: February 13, 2018, 05:15:02 pm »

Goodness me, all the traffic lights are down around here. This is an area that has extremely chaotic traffic at the best of times... this is quite entertaining. Somehow all these hordes of impatient drivers are managing to non-verbally negotiate their passage through all these major intersections. :o

Wonder if this is to do with the near-cyclonic weather we're having. Oh well, wish me luck not getting mown down on the way to work.

This might be hard to believe, but most people have eyes, ears, and common sense. It's actually been proven! Take a look at this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1028740/Accident-free-zone-The-German-town-scrapped-traffic-lights-road-signs.html

It seems that your area is simply recreating the above experiment spontaneously :)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130880 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:04 pm »

I can never understand the "make every drug/thing less dangerous than alcohol/cigarettes legal" idea, because not only is that applicable to a LOT of things(especially the cigarettes) but banning either of those would lead to more mafias   

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130881 on: February 13, 2018, 06:05:42 pm »

This might be hard to believe, but most people have eyes, ears, and common sense. It's actually been proven! Take a look at this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1028740/Accident-free-zone-The-German-town-scrapped-traffic-lights-road-signs.html

It seems that your area is simply recreating the above experiment spontaneously :)
Personally I'd say linking the daily mail actually argues against whatever you're suggesting. I actually less believe it happened now and I already knew about it from other sources.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130882 on: February 13, 2018, 06:06:37 pm »

Shit! I didn't even bother looking at the source, I just googled it from memory and copied the first link.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130883 on: February 13, 2018, 06:08:43 pm »

Need to renew my drivers licence.  I usually don't do an appointment but at friends urging I decided to try to make an appointment.  It will give me an excuse to use one of my vacation days so why not.

There is a DMV about 5 minutes away, so I go to the website, say I just need a basic renewal don't need an interpreter or anything special and look for an appointment.  Apparently I can only get an appointment in Orange City about a 40 minute drive each way a month from now. 

So much for being responsible I guess.  I'll just do a walk in at the local one on my next day off.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130884 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:52 pm »

I can never understand the "make every drug/thing less dangerous than alcohol/cigarettes legal" idea, because not only is that applicable to a LOT of things(especially the cigarettes) but banning either of those would lead to more mafias
I... can't parse what point you're trying to make. State that banning booze and deathstick can add mafias, which you seem to be suggesting is bad. So it... makes sense to unban other stuff, to remove mafias, right?

... which generally is one of the points that pop up in support of legalization arguments, for what it's worth. Undercutting criminal markets for the... well, I'd call it win, but you could probably go with less lose, too.

Also at-least-decriminalizing everything less dangerous than the noted pair hitting a lot of things is basically a non-statement. It's, like. Okay? So? If it's less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, and we apparently don't care enough about those to criminalize it, why should we care about stuff even less harmful? Far as I'm aware access to variety doesn't exactly necessarily increase total consumption, and even if it does, if the net harm doesn't increase (and decriminalization makes that decently likely, given how much worse for people jail time tends to be than casual drug use), well... *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130885 on: February 13, 2018, 07:51:59 pm »

I was always of the mind of 'It's your body do what you want to it'.

Boring torrent of thought over, back to your regularly scheduled wtf.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:01:05 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130886 on: February 13, 2018, 07:56:56 pm »

Throne of Magical Arcana, what are you doing. You've named one of your major countries Shaq, and now I'm having flashbacks to the 90s and getting a vaguely terrifying image of a nation existing on the top of a hundreds/thousands of feet tall bald black man. Also pointedly not imagining other options.

Why, random book, why must you name your geographical regions the same as old basketball players ;_;

E: "The boldness of the Kingdom of Shaq." Shaq's shack is known for its boldness.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:58:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130887 on: February 13, 2018, 09:12:33 pm »

Throne of Magical Arcana, what are you doing. You've named one of your major countries Shaq, and now I'm having flashbacks to the 90s and getting a vaguely terrifying image of a nation existing on the top of a hundreds/thousands of feet tall bald black man. Also pointedly not imagining other options.

Why, random book, why must you name your geographical regions the same as old basketball players ;_;

E: "The boldness of the Kingdom of Shaq." Shaq's shack is known for its boldness.
First thing that came to mind.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #130888 on: February 14, 2018, 06:52:42 am »

Shaq

How large is this kingdom? Could it be described as "Big"? Does it export cornflakes at all?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130889 on: February 14, 2018, 07:26:21 am »

I... can't parse what point you're trying to make. State that banning booze and deathstick can add mafias, which you seem to be suggesting is bad. So it... makes sense to unban other stuff, to remove mafias, right?

I'm really trying to parse that too. Perhaps scourge is implying that people are actually saying "pot is less harmful than cigarettes, so we should legalize pot and ban cigarettes" which is the only interpretation of his statement that makes sense.

But that's a mischaracterization of the decriminalization argument. The actual argument is "cigarettes are regulated, not banned. Pot is not as bad as cigarettes, so perhaps it would be better to also regulate pot instead of banning it".

It's about the net balance. We know the harm that pot does, we know the good things pot can do, and we know the harm that comes from banning things:

- taxable money lost to the black market. Think about how much drug money goes out, tax free. Un-banning drugs would expand the tax base, meaning overall tax rates could be lower, and easing deficit problems at all levels of government.

- violent crime for control of the black market profits

- police corruption. More criminal profits means more bribes and opportunities for corrupt behavior. Also, the potential lucrative profits mean more corrupt people are attracted to the police force in the first place. e.g. if you're a vice cop you have the opportunity to fuck prostitutes for free and to steal drugs, since those people are doing something illegal, you can hold that over them. Banning minor things attracts this type of cop to the force.

- higher insurance premiums for everyone: because preventing drugs at the supply-side pushes up prices, and that means drug addicts steal more stuff to fund their habit. Which means more houses getting robbed and higher insurance payouts / premiums.

- higher taxes: gotta pay for extra police and prisons, as well as making up for the tax losses to the black market.

- general life-wrecking of people charge with small amounts of pot. This leads them into a life of more serious crime, since they're put into prisons where they meet real hardened crims and when they get out of prison, they're less able to find a job, and now they have studied "Crim 101" with the masters, plus they have real criminal contacts.

- pot being illegal means pot sellers also try and sell you other illegal things, like meth or heroin. licensed sellers don't do that. e.g. when you go buy a packet of cigarettes they don't normally try and sell you some meth as well. If they have licensed pot-selling stores, then existing tobacconists will start selling it, too, and those people aren't in the business of trying to upsell you to crack and smack.

So, the argument isn't that pot is less harmful than cigarettes, so it's the cigarattes which should be illegal. The whole argument is that criminalization of minor things leads to all sort of horrors that we are now experiencing. Getting rid of the illegal trade would clean it up immensely, while also giving the government some control over what's being sold (e.g. regulating the strength of pot becomes an option).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:40:06 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8724 8725 [8726] 8727 8728 ... 11038