Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8720 8721 [8722] 8723 8724 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547787 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130815 on: February 12, 2018, 06:32:08 pm »

So look, my dorito snack bag almost got caught in the snack machine today and I WTF'd pretty hard.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130816 on: February 12, 2018, 06:57:00 pm »

There's this new program we're using in my animation class. It's supposed to make it easier for the teacher to review. The problem is that the ability to review is open for anyone, not just the teacher. He even stressed this to us, telling us we'll get in shit if we accidentally add to a person's review. There's no 'review mode'; review is automatic, and a single mistake can't be undone without deleting the work's entire review.

Everyone using the program on their phones is leaving red marks all over everyone else's shit as they try and scroll through the thing.

I accidentally left a mark on one, and now my mom and nan are alternating between telling me how fucked I am and complaining about me being nervous about fucking over someone else's work.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130817 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:51 pm »

According to you, sounds like the entire class is equally screwed over.

Seems like something that could have been tested out first.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130818 on: February 12, 2018, 07:14:29 pm »

Wait what? What are they going to do, fail everyone because of a known flaw in their computer program?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130819 on: February 12, 2018, 07:19:50 pm »

It'd be an open question if the professor knew of the flaw, kind of sounds like he may think it's easy to not accidentially make a review or that people know how not to accidentially make a review. I'm gonna bet that the professor himself has done accidential reviews too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130820 on: February 12, 2018, 07:51:15 pm »

Wait what? What are they going to do, fail everyone because of a known flaw in their computer program?
"And today, students, you're about to learn a valuable lesson about the vagaries of the workplace.

... incidentally, all but one perfectionist jackass among you failed the assignment."

E: also if something like that actually happens BF please let us know, so that we may laugh heartily at your misfortune commiserate with your situation in empathy
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:54:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130821 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:48 pm »

I don't know how serious this teacher is about things. Though last semester he more or less told us off for being terrible.

Now being able to see others' work, I can sort of see where he was coming from with that. Not that I'm in any place to deride others, but there are some submissions that really seem like the uploader simply doesn't care about the class.

We can also see the work of other classes, as well. Not sure if that's intentional.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130822 on: February 12, 2018, 08:25:54 pm »

We can also see the work of other classes, as well. Not sure if that's intentional.

On the app? and are they other classes that the guy teaches or classes by different teachers? If by different teacher, then there is a real problem with that app, given how buggy it sounds and the nature of human curiosity, the other teachers aren't going to appreciate people not from that class accidentially messing with things. If it's classes by the same teacher, that would make sense, if you were the professor. Sounds like maybe somehow the professors account was set to be available to everybody?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130823 on: February 12, 2018, 08:26:55 pm »

It's plenty possible it ain't intentional. Been more than once over the years I was poking around a class website and ended up somewhere the polite response was to go, "Yo' hoss, think you might have a problem."

Though, that said, if it's as or more complicated than, say, fiddling with the web address to see if there's a /main.html or something it's generally not actually a major problem unless someone in the class is actively sharing knowledge of the bugger up. Vast majority of folks won't bother to poke the class site or whatever enough to encounter stuff like that, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130824 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:31 pm »

This isn't actually the school's program. Just some website we've just been introduced to.

And we can only access this teacher's classes. They're pretty obvious, though. No effort to stumble into or mess with another class' stuff. Two classes are close enough in name, and even share assignments, so I kind of expect there to be some mix-ups.

It appears we can rename or even delete other people's stuff.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:36:51 pm by BlackFlyme »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130825 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:53 pm »

So look, my dorito snack bag almost got caught in the snack machine today and I WTF'd pretty hard.

The snack machine at my job rarely does that, but apparently it's capable of detecting a stuck snack and vends a second time to dislodge it, often dropping a free second snack.

The prices are odd though. A full size honey bun or similar cake-thing is only $1.00, but a tiny candy bar or similar(even a pack of gum) is $1.25.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130826 on: February 12, 2018, 09:27:25 pm »

Branding makes you its bitch~

Actually also pretty sure it's the usual convenience tax to some degree. Honey buns are sticky, full sized muffin things crumbly, etc. Tend to notice the cheaper stuff is either much lower quality or messy, heh. Or harder to eat one handed or whatever.

They're farcical ripoffs pretty much regardless, anyway. Buck for a honey bun from the machine, buck-ish for a six-eight pack of honey buns at the dollar store or cheap-shit sweets aisle or whatever. Some days it's mildly impressive folks'll go in for a 600+ percent markup just for ease of access. Gets me too every once in a long while. Occasionally you get hella' hungry and prices less ohohogivemeyourass take more energy than you can muster to reach.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130827 on: February 12, 2018, 09:29:42 pm »

Lately I've been feeling like I have no spare time and am too busy to do pretty much anything I've been intending to do, but at the same time on reflection I seem to spend most of my days doing nothing much at all.

Work today seems to be doing the same thing: it's apocalyptically busy and rather stressful, yet there's basically nothing I need to actually do.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130828 on: February 12, 2018, 10:49:52 pm »

Why is it that when I complain about alcohol people immediately assume that I had some personal bad experience, like, it's almost baffling, they straight up say things like "alright you had a bad experience once, I understand your discomfort"... even though, no, I actually haven't, like, at all.

can someone who hopefully knows absolutely nothing about my opinions regarding alcohol beyond the obvious you see above try to explain that please because, like, I'm 90% sure there's a good reason people will think that, I just can't possibly imagine what it is

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130829 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:27 pm »

Because just about everybody has had a bad experience with some drunk asshole, and habitual drinkers often feel self-conscious that they're a drunk asshole without knowing it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 8720 8721 [8722] 8723 8724 ... 11038