Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8646 8647 [8648] 8649 8650 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14523569 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129705 on: December 30, 2017, 07:51:49 pm »

Trash and recycling pickup, how hard is it?

Our service company delays pickup by one day in a week where there is a national holiday. So we were supposed to have pickup today instead of yesterday.  They got our trash (thankfully) but they didn't pick up our recycling.  On perhaps the number one highest volume week for recyclables.  My house is going to be swimming in recyclables even worse than we were...  we already have nowhere to store stuff in our house due to Christmas, and now we've got to go another full week.

The really annoying thing is, we can't get another company to come into our subdivision for pickup unless we get 90% of the subdivision to switch companies.  I think there might be another competitor in the area that wasn't here when we checked last time, and I'm about ready to switch.

The sad part: when we moved into this house, trash pickup was reliable and what you'd expect - and was locally owned. About a year after we moved in, the local guy retired and sold the business to a regional corp.  That corp has increased our cost 20%, missed at least 5 pickup days, and has reduced service: the local guys would pick up a large cardboard box that wasn't inside the recyclable bin, for instance; now the guys will only take the bin, so if you have a large box you have to cut it up and cram it into the bin for them to take it.  Also, the corp apparently doesn't treat their employees well; they have already had two union actions against them.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #129706 on: December 30, 2017, 09:29:06 pm »

Some dude died because of a swatting. Swatting being the practice of making fake calls like bomb threats to the police to get back at someone for a perceived slight. Shot dead at his front door, never had any idea what was going on.

This one was Call of Duty related.
Look at the Ameripol thread, stuff is already being discussed there.

Not to mention two posts above...

This is why you can't have nice things america

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129707 on: December 30, 2017, 09:54:15 pm »

My ear buds broke again. That's like the second time this mouth. God damn it. They usually last half the year.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129708 on: December 30, 2017, 10:33:01 pm »

About swatting. One, police shouldn't be able to filter this better. And second, shouldn't they be able to track back the caller and jail their asses at once?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #129709 on: January 01, 2018, 01:12:14 am »

It's getting annoyingly difficult to track a caller if they don't want to be, actually, and apparently without requiring all that much effort on the caller's end. Probably one of the reasons there hasn't been a string of murders inflicted on the various fucks running con jobs on the elderly, among other things.

Any case, wtf of the day is that feeling when you spend a few hours wondering why the hell there's intermittent explosions and gunshots going off outside before having someone remind you it's the 31st of december.

New year's celebrations sound remarkably like homicide attempts when you've forgotten what the date is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #129710 on: January 01, 2018, 03:32:42 am »

Oh yeah. It's new years'.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129711 on: January 01, 2018, 06:33:38 am »

Well, the upside of a economical crisis of humanitarian scale is that most people couldn't afford that much fireworks and the far more annoying firecrackers.

What happened to me once years ago was: around 2 am of a Sunday, and I was waken by the indistinguishable sound of  automatic firearms, faint explosions and mortars at the distance. WTF!

Back then Venezuela was not at its worst shape but was already FUBAR, so I woke up my wife and tell her to go to the hallway and lay on the floor in a haste! "It seems there's an attack in the nearby garrison" (about 1.5 km from were we live there's a big ass infantry base which is the garrison of the city and is always a hot spot when there's protests).

I sneak around the living with the most care to try to see outside. Nothing. I reach my phone to check for any news.

I used to have the PC on the room, and was hooked on playing Dawn of War FoK mod... Last time I played was around 9 pm then hit the sack to watch a movie. We fell sleep arround 11 pm and being saturnday there was music and people drinking outside on the parking lot.

It turns out I didn't close the game completely, and the main menu has this battle sounds as background and no music (I had disabled it). The noise outside by the time we fell sleep drowned the faint noise from the headphones.

But once all was calm and silent, the headphones blasted their faint sound just at enough level to wake me up and make me shit my pants... The wife (then girlfriend) was understandingly pretty piss off and just glared me into submission. The next day a apology lunch at her favourite place was needed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:35:54 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129712 on: January 01, 2018, 11:53:17 pm »

My employer won't promote me to full-time, in spite of scheduling me 36-38 hour week for at least half of my employment.  Conveniently enough, when I raised concern about this, I've been cut 8 hours per week.  They state its because of budget cuts because the store is going into non-peak hours, and they'd rather hire another part-time instead of paying me another two-four hours.  It's not like it'd even be a living wage after 40 hours anyway.  Of course they expect me to still give a shit even though they just told me there's no reward other than more work for nothing.

Peak hours wouldn't happen until march, and even then I seriously doubt they will pay me then either.  The American Labor Economy.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129713 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:35 am »

My employer won't promote me to full-time, in spite of scheduling me 36-38 hour week for at least half of my employment.  Conveniently enough, when I raised concern about this, I've been cut 8 hours per week.  They state its because of budget cuts because the store is going into non-peak hours, and they'd rather hire another part-time instead of paying me another two-four hours.  It's not like it'd even be a living wage after 40 hours anyway.  Of course they expect me to still give a shit even though they just told me there's no reward other than more work for nothing.

Peak hours wouldn't happen until march, and even then I seriously doubt they will pay me then either.  The American Labor Economy.
Welcome to the shit fest that is modern American capitalism. How long before we change the statue of liberty's poem to Work makes you free. That's about how much our society seems to care about the average worker.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:11:32 am by redwallzyl »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129714 on: January 02, 2018, 12:10:54 am »

Welcome to the shit fest that is modern American capitalism.

I want to lea- oh wait I can't because I'd still owe 20k to the government and also pay double income taxes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129715 on: January 02, 2018, 12:12:45 am »

Use your own power to find a better job. Let them suffer for their loss of such an exceptionally hard working employee.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129716 on: January 02, 2018, 12:13:42 am »

Welcome to the shit fest that is modern American capitalism.

I want to lea- oh wait I can't because I'd still owe 20k to the government and also pay double income taxes.
And nothing will be done about that structure of incentives because its in some peoples interest. if you think the governments actions are not the fault of that same system then your falling into their trap.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:17:21 am by redwallzyl »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129717 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:39 am »

Use your own power to find a better job. Let them suffer for their loss of such an exceptionally hard working employee.

Sure, I'll just use this zero work experience and worthless degree to go pluck another job from the job tree.  Not like I ended up in this current dead end after three months of searching or anything.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129718 on: January 02, 2018, 01:04:24 am »

Having one ear blocked up (again!) sure drives home how nice directional hearing is.
Reminds me of one good friend I had years ago who would shyly ask I walk on their left not right.  I understand that better, now, particularly since their affliction was more permanent...

It's just bizarre to turn my head and hear the difference.  Not to mention spending the day having to ask people to repeat themselves, like gma ):  I'm used to having blindsense in and near my home, since childhood!  But for this second time, I can only hear from one ear, which makes biangulation literally impossible.  Maddening!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129719 on: January 02, 2018, 01:12:33 am »

Pages: 1 ... 8646 8647 [8648] 8649 8650 ... 11037