Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8627 8628 [8629] 8630 8631 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519340 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129420 on: December 17, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »

I forget a lot of detail, but IIRC technically a large portion of the pigeon population in cities and towns are actually feral descendants of domesticated pigeon breeds that have wound up the way they are because people suddenly stopped caring for pigeons as pets sometime in the past century for some reason. It's sad really.

The good news, at least, is that pigeons are being accepted back in homes! They're super adorable.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129421 on: December 17, 2017, 08:14:30 pm »

(they also shit everywhere)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #129422 on: December 17, 2017, 08:17:44 pm »

I forget a lot of detail, but IIRC technically a large portion of the pigeon population in cities and towns are actually feral descendants of domesticated pigeon breeds that have wound up the way they are because people suddenly stopped caring for pigeons as pets sometime in the past century for some reason. It's sad really.
It also bears mentioning that pigeons' natural habitat is rock cliffs, which the tall buildings of cities tend to be analogues as far as they care. They are doing pretty damn well, it's hard to picture a major city without pigeons.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129423 on: December 17, 2017, 08:23:03 pm »

Pidgeons are a bit of a pain to keep properly is the main problem I expect*. They're quite delicate, smell when kept in large numbers and need large cages to really give them space to excercise. Back when a shed in the garden or on the roof was considered fine as an enclosure and pets were mostly a hobby it was more common. I looked into them as a potential pet but so many other animals are both easier to care for and easier to handle that I decided it wasn't worth the effort that would be involved compared to basically anything else.

Same with mice as I understand it. Pet shop I used to help out in's owner and his father who started the place told me it started as the father and his father breeding white mice in their shed for pets to sell since they were the normal kids pet in the 40s era and a chunk prior and afterwards. These days it's easier to get and keep dogs and cats than it was, not to mention other pets, so they're more common now and mice have fallen out of favour to be replaced by longer lived or less odorous animals that are easier to keep indoors without someone getting annoyed by them.

I think most city pidgeons are descended from domesticated rock doves. Inherited qualities are shitty nest building and a fondness for cliffs/cliff substitutes as nesting sites. Understandably this combination frequently doesn't end well, to the point that pet ones often need to be given a nest that won't let the babies fall out.

*Another problem is that good healthy pidgeons and new pidgeon cages are quite pricy these days in a lot of places.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129424 on: December 17, 2017, 08:53:35 pm »

(they also shit everywhere)

You can say that about all birds tbh. That's why pigeon pants are a thing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #129425 on: December 18, 2017, 06:17:35 am »

I don't see how me wearing pigeon skin leather tights helps with pigeon shit
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129426 on: December 18, 2017, 06:32:07 am »

Another problem with pigeons is that they are a recipe for louse-and-other vermin infestation. They're a parasite heaven.
I recommend cats.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #129427 on: December 18, 2017, 09:05:08 am »

Toxoplasmosis though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129428 on: December 18, 2017, 09:47:34 am »

Today I woke up feeling faint, with a harsh headache and very, very dizzy. WTF is going on? The wife insists I should eat more as this could be related to the diminished food intake, it could be but more for me means less for her and our baby, so it won't happen. Also WTF, how is possible that thanks to a few greedy and corrupt bastards a entire country has to make this kind of decisions.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #129429 on: December 18, 2017, 09:50:08 am »

How much have you had to eat lately? I remember you saying you work to support your wife and baby, but if you fall ill because of lack of food intake, that helps nobody.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129430 on: December 18, 2017, 10:06:15 am »

I'm eating enough I think. Two meals per day, it's more than most here. Don't know about calories but pasta have a lot of carbs and rice dunno, it must have something too. I believe is the lack of proteins that might make me feel like this some days.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #129431 on: December 18, 2017, 10:11:56 am »

definitely make sure you're getting protein and fat in your diet.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129432 on: December 18, 2017, 10:30:41 am »

Add in lentils/peanut butter/whatever. You don't need to splurge on meat to stay healthy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #129433 on: December 18, 2017, 10:32:10 am »

Add in lentils/peanut butter/whatever. You don't need to splurge on meat to stay healthy.
Peanut butter is a very 'Murrican thing. Hard to find in South America, as far as I am aware. He should go for beans if at all possible.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #129434 on: December 18, 2017, 10:52:38 am »

Is the postal system in the shitter too? We could organize some sort of Chirstmass secret santa on the forums where we all totally accidentally send you a bunch of canned goodies :D
Heck, I've got some birthday money left over without any idea what to spend it on, I'd be more than happy to make the holidays brighter for someone with it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 8627 8628 [8629] 8630 8631 ... 11037