Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8509 8510 [8511] 8512 8513 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14537651 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127650 on: October 13, 2017, 10:40:15 pm »

Seeing as a frightening amount of people don't even know what genes are I don't think rational examination of what GMO are doesn't happen much. My beef is with companies abusing them for profit and I think people are being stupidly obsessive about the least important part of the process.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #127651 on: October 13, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »

The big seed companies are pretty scummy in a lot of ways, but it really doesn't have much if anything to do with GMO aside from gene patents (which should not exist IMHO).

If I have a choice between two products of the same price, one labeled "GMO free" and the other not, I pick the one without the label just as a way to give the middle finger to anti-GMO nutjobs. Same for "gluten free" (on products that are made from things that have never had gluten in them) or "organic" or anything like that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:50:23 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127652 on: October 13, 2017, 10:49:00 pm »

Seems the biblical/torah prohibition against impurities in foodstuffs dont apply to islamic halal. (Despite being basically the same thing as being kosher.)

http://www.agbioworld.org/biotech-info/religion/halal.html

Maybe the islamic council people just realize that strict adherence would result in their followers not being able to eat. :P

Seems the Jewish folks are divided on the matter though, given it is EXPLICIT in the torah not to permit crossbreeding of animals or crops. (indeed, as this article mentions)

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/restrictions-on-gmos/israel.php

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:38:55 pm by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127653 on: October 14, 2017, 05:17:49 am »

Seems the biblical/torah prohibition against impurities in foodstuffs dont apply to islamic halal. (Despite being basically the same thing as being kosher.)

http://www.agbioworld.org/biotech-info/religion/halal.html

Maybe the islamic council people just realize that strict adherence would result in their followers not being able to eat. :P

Seems the Jewish folks are divided on the matter though, given it is EXPLICIT in the torah not to permit crossbreeding of animals or crops. (indeed, as this article mentions)

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/restrictions-on-gmos/israel.php

Hey, finally a use for the baraminologists: they can just explain how whatever genomes we're pulling sequences from are of the same "kind".

Although I note that there's nothing specifically prohibiting the use of sequences designed completely de novo, which would be a potentially useful loophole if the kind of people who take Leviticus literally ever wanted GMOs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #127654 on: October 14, 2017, 06:24:08 am »

I just realized that "The Little Mermaid"'s ending is eerily similar to "The Call of Cthulhu"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127655 on: October 14, 2017, 06:26:21 am »

Cthulu just wanted to marry the prince and live happily ever after!! (gigglesnort)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127656 on: October 14, 2017, 07:07:30 am »

I know it's a few pages back, but thanks for that post about the weeb SJW who discovered that the only thing to do with degree work relating to being a weeb SJW is trying to reach far enough to write papers about weeb SJW "issues".

I've had more substance in my work than that when I did a Marxist reading of Bartleby the Scrivener based on the class significance of ginger nuts and various character names. And that was entirely bullshit I fabricated from about five minutes of "research".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127657 on: October 14, 2017, 04:12:58 pm »

I just realized that "The Little Mermaid"'s ending is eerily similar to "The Call of Cthulhu"

Is that the Disney one, where she marries the prince and lives happily ever after for the next 10-11 years before a crappy sequel comes out?

Or is that the original story the the Disney one is based off of, in which...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or it could it be that slightly older anime series of The Little Mermaid?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #127658 on: October 14, 2017, 04:15:13 pm »

I assume that it is the Disney version, where the prince stabs the tentacle-witch with a boat to defeat her.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127659 on: October 14, 2017, 04:27:25 pm »

uh

that was like

a poster, dude

an ad

that wasn't "their work" in that meaning any more than riffing off a trailer for a movie as "the movie"

there's usually a bit more to it
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127660 on: October 14, 2017, 05:34:19 pm »

I know it's a few pages back, but thanks for that post about the weeb SJW who discovered that the only thing to do with degree work relating to being a weeb SJW is trying to reach far enough to write papers about weeb SJW "issues"

That guy's just in the pocket of Big Weeb.

btw is this the one about feminism vs Kantai Collection or something better than that?

With that one I really like they way they write about the consumers of the media as if they are the dogs in Pavlov's experiments. They cite that consumers are being taught to view the source media in exactly one way. And that "way" you've being taught to think just happens to line up with critiques based on feminist ideology*. Handy, right?

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:02:19 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127661 on: October 14, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »

I know this is hardly obscure, but still.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127662 on: October 14, 2017, 06:06:37 pm »

Spoiler: comment on above (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:08:37 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127663 on: October 14, 2017, 06:12:08 pm »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127664 on: October 14, 2017, 06:13:34 pm »

I love how mom is more concerned about the rollerskate gang, than about the murderous green monster that rips up asphalt and kills people.
Pages: 1 ... 8509 8510 [8511] 8512 8513 ... 11037