Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8481 8482 [8483] 8484 8485 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545602 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127230 on: October 02, 2017, 10:33:01 am »

Vegemite is good. But don't be tricked into eating a lot at once. You butter toast, then put a tiny dab (about the size of a pinky fingernail) of it on the end of the knife, then spread it thinly into the butter.

Much fun is getting people who don't know anything to eat pure vegemite, or put it on thick. But ... that's equivalent to saying "I've heard salt's good! I'll try some" then trying to eat a tablespoon of salt. Clearly, you're not gonna go well with that. It's like anything else that's meant to be used sparingly - horrible if you have a lot of it at once.

The British have the same stuff basically - marmite. And there's another one call promite. Which all i can say is it's "sugary vegemite" and absolutely disgusting.

Here's Hugh Jackman preparing vegemite toast for Americans. They are scared as shit then suprised when it tastes good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sUhTWtvG4
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:49:57 am by Reelya »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127231 on: October 02, 2017, 10:48:22 am »

Vegemite's better, though the UK generally just has marmite, sadly. Have to try Promite if I ever see any. Name sounds a bit like a complex plastic than a food though.
One wheel short of a wagon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127232 on: October 02, 2017, 10:55:50 am »

... And there's a trademark battle between OzEmite and aussieMite.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/ozemite-wins-battle-of-the-patriotic-spreads-20160813-gqrsxv.html

(Actually I'm not really surprised that the Americans in that segment are positively surprised by vegemite on toast - when made properly. Those people wolf down fluffernutters and the like, and put spray-can cheese on stuff. They can eat anything).

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127233 on: October 02, 2017, 10:58:41 am »

1. Yes we can. Deep fried butter is a thing we have here that violates the laws of physics and is a culinary abomination.

2. What the actual fuck are fluffernutters?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127234 on: October 02, 2017, 10:59:38 am »

peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches.

Im partial to toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches myself though.  Too much sugar in fluffernutters.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127235 on: October 02, 2017, 11:00:30 am »

That sounds like it would be good deep fried.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127236 on: October 02, 2017, 11:00:39 am »

Fluffernutters are a New England / Massachusetts thing. You get Fluff spreadable marshmallow, layer that thick on a piece of bread, then slather peanut butter thick on another piece. Then cram that together, and you have a fluffernutter.

There was actually a political dispute about these. One local politician discovered his grade-school kids were being fed these every day at school. He got upset and promoted a bill limiting the amount of these the school's serve to weekly instead of daily. This outraged local republicans, and they promoted a counter-bill that would make the fluffernutter the official state sandwich. I'm not kidding.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:06:26 am by Reelya »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127237 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:43 am »

I don't eat much sweets but that sounds alright. I prefer turf'n'turf. Steak wrapped in bacon.
He's fucking with us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #127238 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:18 am »

Wait, that actually happens?

Now how to release a suitable number of them in Newry....
Man, and I had just put my Armalite back in its hiding place. You're really not making things easy for me.

The joke's getting a tad old, isn't it? If I'm getting on your nerves, please do tell me.
No nerve-getting here. Besides, it's not that hard to find your Armalite. I take it you hide it in a ballot box, right?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127239 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:04 am »

Naah, the Spanish police would take it away.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127240 on: October 02, 2017, 11:26:45 am »

My dad used to eat Marmite on his bread. I believe he learned to eat in his early youth. With him being born in the hunger winter of 1945, I believe British troops handed out Marmite to Dutch families with starving young kids, to help combat vitamin deficiencies (B complex in the case of Marmite). I never liked it as a kid, but I should try it again sometime. Dutch supermarkets sell Marmite (and have been selling it for as long as I can remember). I do like special beers, so trying the yeast seems appropriate.

EDIT: With the failure of Market Garden, the north of the Netherlands was liberated later than the south, and suffered great famine in the winter of 1944-45.
When they were finally liberated, allied troops encountered people that looked as emaciated as those liberated from the concentration camps in the East. People had been eating candles, grass, and tulip bulbs in a desparate effort to survive. If they were lucky, they could get some cattle fodder beets. An estimated 22000 people died of hunger during that winter.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:35:18 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #127241 on: October 02, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »

VEGIMITE!
Yeah its smother than Mar. Get some potato chips and butter the bread then put a little bit of that black crap on it. Chur my bro.
I put it in my sauces and gravys.

That sounds like it would be good deep fried.

Everything is good deep fried.
××××××××××××××××××

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127242 on: October 02, 2017, 09:18:27 pm »

My dad used to eat Marmite on his bread. I believe he learned to eat in his early youth. With him being born in the hunger winter of 1945, I believe British troops handed out Marmite to Dutch families with starving young kids, to help combat vitamin deficiencies (B complex in the case of Marmite). I never liked it as a kid, but I should try it again sometime. Dutch supermarkets sell Marmite (and have been selling it for as long as I can remember). I do like special beers, so trying the yeast seems appropriate.

EDIT: With the failure of Market Garden, the north of the Netherlands was liberated later than the south, and suffered great famine in the winter of 1944-45.
When they were finally liberated, allied troops encountered people that looked as emaciated as those liberated from the concentration camps in the East. People had been eating candles, grass, and tulip bulbs in a desparate effort to survive. If they were lucky, they could get some cattle fodder beets. An estimated 22000 people died of hunger during that winter.

Yeah, my family are from the North and eventually emigrated after the hunger winter. My Oma told me a story about having to drink ox blood and eat grass while she was pregnant to try and stave off anaemia and malnutrition.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127243 on: October 03, 2017, 03:16:33 am »

Depending on the grass, the roots and young shoots can be steamed, and are quite nutritious, if a bit fibrous. Adult grass, not so much, unless you can digest cellulose like a cow or goat.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127244 on: October 03, 2017, 04:20:13 am »

My neighbor ran into me on a random irc channel.
Pages: 1 ... 8481 8482 [8483] 8484 8485 ... 11037