Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8472 8473 [8474] 8475 8476 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517240 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127095 on: September 28, 2017, 02:22:57 pm »

Found out yesterday at work that Twinkie Ice Cream is a thing.

That is either absolutely amazing awesomesauce or one of the worst things ever.  There can not possibly be an in between.
I tried it awhile back, it basically tastes like vanilla iirc.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127096 on: September 28, 2017, 02:26:30 pm »

Bah, read some stuff about the latest star trek show.  The thought of a game I backed on kickstarter way-back-when, The Mandate, popped up.  Went to check, looks like it is pretty much dead in the water.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #127097 on: September 28, 2017, 02:40:46 pm »

The Mandate, popped up.  Went to check, looks like it is pretty much dead in the water.
Woe comes, Chigra. You have found us too late.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #127098 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:31 pm »

Bah, read some stuff about the latest star trek show.  The thought of a game I backed on kickstarter way-back-when, The Mandate, popped up.  Went to check, looks like it is pretty much dead in the water.
Want my advice?  If you want good games that consistently reach their goal and consistently get made, back boardgames.  They're going through kind of a kickstarter-powered renaissance, a lot of people take a niche/cult idea and come to kickstarter with the art assets mostly completed, then take a few thousand dollars for manufacturing and distribution.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #127099 on: September 28, 2017, 02:49:27 pm »

Board games are what you do when you have too many people for computer games, but not enough for a good tabletop RPG...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127100 on: September 28, 2017, 03:05:48 pm »

Board games are what you do when you have too many people for computer games, but not enough for a good tabletop RPG...

Dark Souls, the board game!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127101 on: September 28, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »

Three is enough for an rpg, and I sure hope you have at least one vidya for two people. Could always just swap back and forth. :P
No, boardgames are for times when you have people around to play a game, but it's not a recurring thing. RPGs really need multiple sessions to work.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #127102 on: September 28, 2017, 03:56:23 pm »

Yeah, board games are good in how quick they are to set up and play. Many games can be played through in under 45 minutes, and most in under 2 hours. An RPG, meanwhile, might take a 3-hour Session Zero just to decide what you're playing and how. That is not to say it's a bad thing; when time is precious, the board game wins, but in free time a good, recurring RPG can well be more personal and satisfying.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #127103 on: September 28, 2017, 04:04:39 pm »

For me boardgames are a replacement for couch gaming.  For me that's really what drove me away from consoles, if we were still in the age of four player couch co op, I probably wouldn't even have a gaming PC.  I love the social aspect of gaming, its the main way I knew how to interact with people as a kid (I've since gotten a bit more versatile lol).

The thing about roleplaying games and online gaming is, they require everyone involved to share interests.  SSB didn't require that, co op Halo and L4D didn't require that.  Pick up and play, variable difficulty, no money involved except for the host.  When I was a kid even games that had no good reason to support that style of gaming, like Banjo Kazooie 2, would throw in split screen.  Now it feels like all that's left are holdouts from old series that kept on the feature because people expected it... all the new stuff requires everyone to buy separate consoles, separate games, and a separate online subscription.  So that you can get the reduced quality experience of trying to communicate with distracted people via nothing but voice.  But boardgames... relatively cheap, easy to explain to casual players yet not always lacking in depth, and best of all the way they're set up creates the perfect social white noise to talk about things.  Most Americans are afraid of sitting around doing nothing, even if you're talking friends.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127104 on: September 28, 2017, 04:06:54 pm »

What about it?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127105 on: September 28, 2017, 04:11:00 pm »

What about it?

On weeks were attendance was low for our 2e D&D game, the Souls board game was our back up plan.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127106 on: September 28, 2017, 10:05:45 pm »

Just woke up. There was something I was dreading having to do when I woke up, something involving going somewhere, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.
Might have been a dream, or just half~-asleep confusion making the things I do need to do seem more time-sensitive than they are.

Also, that derail made me wtf today.
Seems an odd thing to get so heated about.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:38:58 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127107 on: September 29, 2017, 05:18:15 am »

So I got showed The Secret on a career coaching course, and holy shit is it an unhealthy philosophy.

The idea is that because of some woo magic the universe arranges itself according to your thoughts and emotions, and therefore you should ignore every single negative thing lest you 'attract' more of it, same with feeling negative emotions. Instead, you should fool yourself into thinking you already have everything you want.

Not only is it logically paradoxical and self-defeating ("The Secret isn't real", therefore the universe arranges so that it isn't), policing your own thoughts and emotions only leads to a massive breakdown later on that is probably worse to your psyche than facing the problems individually. It's never wrong to feel; the proper way to tackle negative emotions is to consider why you're feeling them rather than blame the universe on them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #127108 on: September 29, 2017, 05:20:55 am »

The proper way to tackle negative emotions is not to treat them as an obstacle to be tackled tbh

"Negative" emotions are as much as what make us human as positive ones. Melancholy is the rain which nourishes the growth of flower meadows, people who are seeking continual and eternal happiness often are the ones who find the least of it, never finding contentness

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127109 on: September 29, 2017, 06:13:36 am »

Yeah, 'tackle' might be the wrong word. 'Handle'? 'Accept'? 'Not be destroyed by'?

And yes, my point exactly. Feeling angry or sad is natural and always allowed, it's how you move on that matters. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away, thinking why it makes you angry or sad and what can be done about it might. You shouldn't ignore a part of yourself because a film told you it would make you successful, for knowing and understanding yourself is so much more important to living life to its fullest.
Pages: 1 ... 8472 8473 [8474] 8475 8476 ... 11037